Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

GOP admits to racist voter suppression.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: GOP admits to racist voter suppression.
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:11 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:Early Voting can be done up to a month in advance but ID must be shown with signature match up. Base voting on home address for federal income tax. Match where a person votes with the address on the tax return.

Uh-huh...

I'm sure you're going to get to the part where ballots cast by someone showing an ID cannot be put in a truck after they are cast ANY time now.

Tick.... tock....
Post by Annachie   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually smr, it should be tied to Social Security number.

More eligible voters will have an SS number than tax records.

ID should be easy to get, but almost invariably voter ID ideas get partnered with making said ID harder to get.

And really, voting is protected by the constitution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by smr   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

I should have put state id and ss# in the post. Official address to vote is what listed on the tax form but that could be allowed to cast a provisional ballot based on address change. Everyone of age 18 or older is automatically registered to vote. If SS declares you dead...you can not vote! Eventually, I see a system where a person swipes their thumb on their computer to verify who they are and could vote from home.

Annachie wrote:Actually smr, it should be tied to Social Security number.

ID should be easy to get, but almost invariably voter ID ideas get partnered with making said ID harder to get.

Post by smr   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 am

smr
Vice Admiral

https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car ... 024547.jpg

People are awake and watching what is happening in these contested races!
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You do? You see a system in the future that uses internet only voting without a hardcopy? Something else the Russians can tap into? A voting method using thumbs that a mafia type organization can go into neighborhoods behind closed doors and force someone's thumb where X marks the spot? Well, at least the people still going to the polls won't have to worry about long lines. And there will be people still going to the polls because everyone doesn't have and won't have the internet. Or even a tv. There are people whose values prevent them from having the internet and tv.

I dated a girl who never had a tv in their home and it sure as hell wasn't because they couldn't afford one. Some people simply do not want the internet and TV raising their kids. The girl in question is a millionaire now and there still is no boob tube found in her home. Her kids read books.

smr wrote:I should have put state id and ss# in the post. Official address to vote is what listed on the tax form but that could be allowed to cast a provisional ballot based on address change. Everyone of age 18 or older is automatically registered to vote. If SS declares you dead...you can not vote! Eventually, I see a system where a person swipes their thumb on their computer to verify who they are and could vote from home.

Annachie wrote:Actually smr, it should be tied to Social Security number.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:10 am

The E
Admiral

smr wrote:Eventually, I see a system where a person swipes their thumb on their computer to verify who they are and could vote from home.

Ask an engineer working in the automotive industry about their safety standards, and what they think the safest car might be. Figures like "millions of miles between accidents" will, at some point, be used, because cars are (all things considered) extremely safe.

Ask an engineer working in the airplane business, and they too will rightly point out that airtravel is extremely safe, even more so than travelling on the road.

If you find a software engineer telling you that they found a way to make electronic elections work, run away as fast as you can, because you just found someone fundamentally incompetent and unqualified.

Electronic voting is not safe and cannot be made safe, on a fundamental level. If there are chain of custody issues in normal pen-and-paper ballot counting, the complete lack of a trivially verifiable chain of custody in electronic voting machines should be a massive red flag for you.

Like, you have a bunch of machines using proprietary hardware running proprietary code, supervised by people who can not be guaranteed to be impartial before and after a vote, programmed by people who can be bribed, and subject of intense research in finding zero-day exploits (which due to the nature of these machines are unlikely to be patched).

Yes, you can cheat in a pen and paper ballot. There's a lot that can go wrong with those, with or without ill intent, but literally anyone can be taught what to look out for. It is, quite literally, possible to pick random people off the street, tell them what to look out for, and be reasonably sure that they can do an adequate job of ensuring the integrity of an election. Can you do the same with electronic voting, smr?

Relevant XKCD
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:25 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

re: Computer voting.
There are two* sci-fi books you need to read where the ability to hack into and change electronic votes is a vital plot point.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein
The Stainless Steel Rat For President - Harry Harrison

Read those two books, then feel free to argue for the use of electronic voting...
...assuming you can come up with a way for security to be maintained, that is.

*There are probably a lot more books using that same point, but the two listed are both classic Sci-fi and ones I have on my book-case at this time.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 am

Dilandu
Admiral

cthia wrote:You do? You see a system in the future that uses internet only voting without a hardcopy? Something else the Russians can tap into?

Even according to American hysterical anti-Russian campaign, all our supposed hackers done, is revealing dirty little secrets about Dem's leadership. They do NOT influence the voting system itself. Frankly, pulling someone skeletons out of the closets is the classic way to influence voting since at least Ancient Greece (and probably actually since the idea of voting were born), so the only reason for hysteria was that this time it was done to USA, not the US doing it to someone else...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:12 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:...assuming you can come up with a way for security to be maintained, that is.

Isolated network & quantum-based encryption. Each voter has his own tangled particles encryption pattern. No possible way to break without having access to one of two particles.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:...assuming you can come up with a way for security to be maintained, that is.

Isolated network & quantum-based encryption. Each voter has his own tangled particles encryption pattern. No possible way to break without having access to one of two particles.

...I'm sorry. Let me re-phrase.
...assuming you can come up with a way for security to be maintained using technology which is currently available for use, whether civilian or military, that is.

Besides, you don't need to alter the actual votes. You just need to alter what the machine says the aggregate vote was. Why bother trying to intercept millions of votes being input when you can simply dictate what the machine outputs?
You know, just like the bad guys did in the Stainless Steel Rat For President, just before getting an old (but still valid) law to the back of the knees.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics