Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

US out of Venezuela!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: US out of Venezuela!
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Fun little fact re: wages.
Whenever the minimum wage is raised, the amount of people in employment drops.
The reason is simple. The companies operate on an equation that needs balancing. On one side, you have the costs and on the other, the income. If the costs increase suddenly (wages up) and the income does not rise to match, then savings have to be made. Simplest solution? Fire some staff and work the others harder.
Also, by investing in automation, it's possible to reduce staffing levels quite considerably in many jobs. It just generally isn't worth it financially unless the future wage costs threaten to bankrupt the company.

Why do you think McDonalds now has touch-screen order-and-pay-points in many of its branches? The technology allows the company to get away with employing less staff, but it probably wouldn't have been introduced so widely if the minimum wages hadn't kept being pushed up.

It's darkly amusing that by trying to help workers, certain governments are making it harder to actually find work...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by The E   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 am

The E
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Why do you think McDonalds now has touch-screen order-and-pay-points in many of its branches? The technology allows the company to get away with employing less staff, but it probably wouldn't have been introduced so widely if the minimum wages hadn't kept being pushed up.

You know how flawed that example is, right? Neither the cost of an automation solution nor the cost of wages are fixed points; These sort of point-of-sale systems have been getting really cheap over the past few years.

Also, if the only way to run your business profitably is by not paying your employees enough to live on, I think your business has much more important problems than the wages.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

You can’t change the minimum wage. No matter what you do, how loudly you complain. it always remains exactly the same — ZERO!! As in, unemployed. The more it costs businesses to hire people, the fewer they will hire. That’s not even economics, it’s simple accounting.

You seem to believe that it’s better to be unemployed than working for low pay. I disagree. A person working for low pay is still productive, still contributing to the economy. Sitting on his dead ass unemployed, or running around looking for a job, not so much. And that’s where he’s going to be if the government tries to force businesses to pay $15.00 an hour for a job that adds $5.00 an hour to the bottom line.

Minimum wage, in the sense you mean it, is also a constant. All costs are ultimately labor costs. If you Raise The Minimum Wage! to $15.00, or $20.00, or $50.00, it increases the cost of labor, which increases the cost of everything, until inflation dilutes the actual buying power of your new minimum wage to just about the same as the old minimum wage before you started monkeying with it. What do you think has been happening to the dollar, the pound, the euro, and all the other currencies that are worth less than 10% of what they were 40 years ago? (OK, the euro has only been around for 20 years, but it has inflated right along with all the rest since then)

All costs are relative to the cost of labor. Increase the cost of labor, everything else ratchets up, and the same amount of work still buys the same amount of goods. No law, theory or slogan can ever change that.

The government can’t force businesses to pay some arbitrary ‘minimum wage’, only prohibit them from paying less. If a job is not worth that much, they will eliminate the job.

What’s your next proposal, have the government force businesses to hire people they don’t need, and pay them more than they’re worth?
———————————
No government can increase the value of unskilled labor, only raise the cost.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Tim Poole discussed a case where employees managed to get their wages raised from $10 per hour to $15 an hour and promptly had their hours cut (although the amount of work required remained about the same).
His video on it is just here.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Joat42   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Joat42
Admiral

thinkstoomuch wrote:
The E wrote:Are american workers getting a commensurate wage increase to cover the increased cost of living that having to buy american-made (and thus more expensive) products will lead to?

I'm guessing not.

Just am update on a 6 month old post. More or less a drive by. To keep my account current.

How is average wage growth doing in the US?

I went to:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CES0500000003

Downloaded data to create this spreadsheet with a simple linear line:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v6dvoy320 ... 9.xls/file

Threw a linear average for as long as it has been tracked. Created this chart.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1s46usmam ... h.png/file

Please notice trends and timing, understanding that wages are a lagging indicator. Emphatically understanding that averages are averages and may in fact mean nothing.

My take, the Bloomberg article is inaccurate at this time. Your take may be different.

Have fun,
T2M

PS I probably won't spend much time even checking back on comments.

You forgot to include the cost of living which shows if the real value of a wage has increased or decreased).

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Joat42   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:You can’t change the minimum wage. No matter what you do, how loudly you complain. it always remains exactly the same — ZERO!! As in, unemployed. The more it costs businesses to hire people, the fewer they will hire. That’s not even economics, it’s simple accounting.

Fun fact, if you don't have a job you don't have a wage either.

Imaginos1892 wrote:You seem to believe that it’s better to be unemployed than working for low pay. I disagree. A person working for low pay is still productive, still contributing to the economy. Sitting on his dead ass unemployed, or running around looking for a job, not so much. And that’s where he’s going to be if the government tries to force businesses to pay $15.00 an hour for a job that adds $5.00 an hour to the bottom line.

You are missing the socioeconomic effects of increasing the minimum wage. The effects vary though, from country to country depending on labor laws and poverty levels. In some instances it actually reduces poverty, in some it can depress the labor market.

From a general standpoint I'm for paying people a wage that they can live on, having people working triple jobs 16-18 hours a day just to survive is wrong.

Imaginos1892 wrote:No government can increase the value of unskilled labor, only raise the cost.

Yes they can, that's why some countries have a social security net that allows people to further their education from unskilled to skilled labor without the need to hold down 2 or 3 minimum wage jobs at the same time. The upfront cost for the education is defrayed by the prospective increased tax revenue of skilled laborers.

It's also why there are public schools, because everyone starts out as unskilled labor.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by The E   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:28 pm

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:You can’t change the minimum wage. No matter what you do, how loudly you complain. it always remains exactly the same — ZERO!! As in, unemployed. The more it costs businesses to hire people, the fewer they will hire. That’s not even economics, it’s simple accounting.

Thank you for pointing out why capitalism is a terrible system.

You seem to believe that it’s better to be unemployed than working for low pay. I disagree. A person working for low pay is still productive, still contributing to the economy. Sitting on his dead ass unemployed, or running around looking for a job, not so much. And that’s where he’s going to be if the government tries to force businesses to pay $15.00 an hour for a job that adds $5.00 an hour to the bottom line.

I actually believe that a person's ability to live safe from dangers such as homelessness, hunger, or disease should not be contingent on whether or not they are employed, just to be clear on this. Furthermore, "contributing to the economy" shouldn't be the primary measure by which we sort jobs into desirable and undesirable.

That there is something like a precariat as a social class should be a strong enough indictment of the concept of neoliberal capitalism, but instead, you seem to be defending it as necessary for the system to work!

Minimum wage, in the sense you mean it, is also a constant.

No, it really isn't. It's a political decision to institute one and to raise or lower it.

All costs are ultimately labor costs. If you Raise The Minimum Wage! to $15.00, or $20.00, or $50.00, it increases the cost of labor, which increases the cost of everything, until inflation dilutes the actual buying power of your new minimum wage to just about the same as the old minimum wage before you started monkeying with it. What do you think has been happening to the dollar, the pound, the euro, and all the other currencies that are worth less than 10% of what they were 40 years ago? (OK, the euro has only been around for 20 years, but it has inflated right along with all the rest since then)

Why do I get the feeling that you don't know as much about economics as you think you do?

Over that same timeframe, we've seen wages stagnate while companies reap ever-increasing profits. The basic idea that if a company is successful, part of that success is translated into better conditions for its employees has seemingly been abandoned. Especially in the past decade, real wages have effectively been stagnant for a vast portion of the work force; Any raises being effectively cancelled out by inflation, taxes that rich people aren't paying, cancellation of relief programs.

Yes, raising the minimum wage increases the cost of labor. Congratulations, you are very smart, have a gold star. What I'm saying is that labor has been undervalued for a very long time now, and that it is time for some measure of equality to be restored.

All costs are relative to the cost of labor. Increase the cost of labor, everything else ratchets up, and the same amount of work still buys the same amount of goods. No law, theory or slogan can ever change that.

Again, you are very smart, congratulations.

The government can’t force businesses to pay some arbitrary ‘minimum wage’, only prohibit them from paying less. If a job is not worth that much, they will eliminate the job.

The government literally can do this. You seem to be under the impression that the government shouldn't invalidate business models. This is wrong.

The government is supposed to be a balancing tool between the interests of the powerful and the interests of the powerless. The rise of the left amongst young people and adults under 40 reflects this (As does the rise of right-wing extremism amongst the stupid and easily led). Both of these movements have, at their core, people who have understood that things are out of balance and that a realignment has to happen.

What’s your next proposal, have the government force businesses to hire people they don’t need, and pay them more than they’re worth?

My actual next proposal is to raise the marginal tax rate to a level where excessive concentrations of wealth are impossible. Raising minimum wages is a patch for a symptom, not a fix for the problem.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

* raising wages is bad for business and bad for the economy.

* executive and management wages have increased at rediculous levels

Can you see the dissonence there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'm retired, living off a variety of investments. As a shareholder I would expect that my companies minimise costs, which include wages. However I would also expect that those companies obey the law and pay at least the legislated minimum wage.
Having seen several documentaries about US working poor, I'm convinced that is an immoral system.
In Australia we have a federal election due in May, and a big topic is the uneven distribution of wealth, over the past six years of conservative rule. As an investor I have benefited from this getting richer, however I see my working family members getting squeezed due to no wage growth and rising costs. Trickle down economics is a cruel con.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Annachie wrote:* raising wages is bad for business and bad for the economy.

* executive and management wages have increased at rediculous levels

Can you see the dissonence there?

I saw someone recently say it pretty well on Twitter...

"I'm getting a little fed up with people who pay themselves $2,500 per hour trying to convince people who make $25 per hour that people who make $12 per hour make too much."

Return to Politics