Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

The Absent Superpower

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: The Absent Superpower
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Annachie wrote:As a repair base for US subs, Australia is not much more than a dry dock while they wait for repair ships.
I'm not sure we could do much to help at all.

I doubt we'd see any other countries subs.

That is part of the reason we should be designing/building our diesel subs in partnership with America and not buying european designs.

The last diesel electric sub deployed by the US is now a museum at OMSI. The Europeans, Japan, South Korea and Russia build more advanced designs. The US could design a more modern Diesel Electric sub but it would be expensive. I dont think that you want a diesel Virginia.

Of course the best course for AAustralia would be to buy licenses for a design and technology assistance to build their own sub.

Brazil is building itsown subs and developing a nuclear sub.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I just saw this:

Merkel is less confrontational than Macron but makes the same point. I do not know if a European military alliance could hold together without the US to hold it together. Turkey would be a far more likely adversary than Russia.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Australia is building these subs using a purchased design, that we will naturally fiddle with making it over budget and over time.
As an aside, in war games one of our current diesel subs "sank" a US aircraft carrier. Stealthly crept to where the task force was heading, hid under an inversion layer, then when the forward screen had passed struck.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Annachie wrote:As a repair base for US subs, Australia is not much more than a dry dock while they wait for repair ships.
I'm not sure we could do much to help at all.

I doubt we'd see any other countries subs.

That is part of the reason we should be designing/building our diesel subs in partnership with America and not buying european designs.

The last diesel electric sub deployed by the US is now a museum at OMSI. The Europeans, Japan, South Korea and Russia build more advanced designs. The US could design a more modern Diesel Electric sub but it would be expensive. I dont think that you want a diesel Virginia.

Of course the best course for AAustralia would be to buy licenses for a design and technology assistance to build their own sub.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Australia is building these subs using a purchased design, that we will naturally fiddle with making it over budget and over time.
As an aside, in war games one of our current diesel subs "sank" a US aircraft carrier. Stealthly crept to where the task force was heading, hid under an inversion layer, then when the forward screen had passed struck.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:

Diesel electric subs running on batteries have been inherently quieter than nuclear subs because the only rotating machinery is the propulsor and electric motor. The Virginia class closes the gap with a reactor using natural convection rather than collant pumps. The new Columbia class SSBN will use Nuclear turboelectric like the French Triumphant class. Expect a modified Virginia to be a test bed and may be go into production. Ironically, the US once had turboelectric battleships.

Australia needs longer range and endurance than Europe, Israel, Japan or Korea. You will need to stretch the design.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46247446

Personally, I think it's a good idea. Maybe not specifically this idea, but in general, a good one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics