Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:04 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Peter, try answering questions then. Or admit that you don't care.

If Kavanaugh's "Honesty" is the reason you think he deserved to be confirmed, and he wasn't actually honest, should he then not have been confirmed?

If his honesty is doubtful, then so is his sincerity. Can't be sincere if you're being dishonest.
So Peter, since your other criteria was "Sincerity", and that is also in serious doubt, what does that leave?

What he really means is seeing someone yell and throw a tantrum abut things he doesn't like made him feel good.

And since that tantrum lined up with his views, it was an "honest" and "sincere" expression.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually FLY, POTUS is not subject to a background or security check.
Neither are congressmen.

Also, there's no evidence that Sarah Palin has security clearance, ever had, or was ever in a job that needed it.

John McCain however probably did at one stage, dating to his time in the military.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Peter, try answering questions then. Or admit that you don't care.

If Kavanaugh's "Honesty" is the reason you think he deserved to be confirmed, and he wasn't actually honest, should he then not have been confirmed?

If his honesty is doubtful, then so is his sincerity. Can't be sincere if you're being dishonest.
So Peter, since your other criteria was "Sincerity", and that is also in serious doubt, what does that leave?

I answered you the first time. His response to those Senators' politically motivated assault on him was honest and sincere. I believed his response was admirable. I did not comment on his veracity in any other instance in my reply to you.

If you disbelieve his response to those other issues, fine. Your prerogative. I am not going to argue those points. I will only state that my support of Justice Kavanaugh remains. I believe that the injustice of these accusations deserves to be defeated. I can live with putting a deep state Bush appointee on the SCOTUS if it means defeating those sorts of tactics. I can even live with accepting someone less than truthful(which I don't believe is the case but grant may be true) if it means defeating those sorts of tactics which attack our civil liberties.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:54 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

I answered you the first time. His response to those Senators' politically motivated assault on him was honest and sincere. I believed his response was admirable. I did not comment on his veracity in any other instance in my reply to you.

If you disbelieve his response to those other issues, fine. Your prerogative. I am not going to argue those points. I will only state that my support of Justice Kavanaugh remains. I believe that the injustice of these accusations deserves to be defeated. I can live with putting a deep state Bush appointee on the SCOTUS if it means defeating those sorts of tactics. I can even live with accepting someone less than truthful(which I don't believe is the case but grant may be true) if it means defeating those sorts of tactics which attack our civil liberties.

Notice how your principled and serious concern with "innocent until proven guilty" disappears the second you need to call a sexual assault accuser a liar who is guilty of perjuring herself under oath at the direction of political handlers... a rather serious crime if it was true... and for which you have literally no evidence whatsoever.

Those are the "tactics" you are wringing your hands over here, yes?
Post by noblehunter   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:I answered you the first time. His response to those Senators' politically motivated assault on him was honest and sincere. I believed his response was admirable. I did not comment on his veracity in any other instance in my reply to you.

His response to Senators' questions was pure political theater designed to appeal to certain biases. It was as artificial and intentional as Ford's testimony.

I can even live with accepting someone less than truthful(which I don't believe is the case but grant may be true) if it means defeating those sorts of tactics which attack our civil liberties.
This is one of those destroying the village to save it things, isn't it?
Post by Annachie   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

But Peter, he provably wasn't honest.
Given that, he wasn't sincere.

So why do you still think he was a good choice for the Supreme court if he failed to meet YOUR criteria?

We all know the answer, and why you wont admit it of course. Just like smr and FLY.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:But Peter, he provably wasn't honest.
Given that, he wasn't sincere.

So why do you still think he was a good choice for the Supreme court if he failed to meet YOUR criteria?

We all know the answer, and why you wont admit it of course. Just like smr and FLY.

I commented on his response to the political assault against him. That sort of unjust assault must be defeated. Supporting a suboptimal candidate to defeat that sort of tactic is preferable to letting the progressives get away with it. We survived the Sotomayor appointment, so suboptimal choices won't destroy us. Discarding due process and the presumption innocence in constitutional proceedings will destroy us.

You foreign proggies don't have to consider our Constitution, so I'm glad you have bupkis to influence US policy.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

noblehunter wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I answered you the first time. His response to those Senators' politically motivated assault on him was honest and sincere. I believed his response was admirable. I did not comment on his veracity in any other instance in my reply to you.

His response to Senators' questions was pure political theater designed to appeal to certain biases. It was as artificial and intentional as Ford's testimony.

I can even live with accepting someone less than truthful(which I don't believe is the case but grant may be true) if it means defeating those sorts of tactics which attack our civil liberties.
This is one of those destroying the village to save it things, isn't it?

No. It's not accepting despicable political tactics.as valid ploys. The only way to do that is to defeat the goals of those that employ the tactic.

That said, I believe his reaction to the accusations was honest and sincere not political theater. YMMV.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:14 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:

Notice how your principled and serious concern with "innocent until proven guilty" disappears the second you need to call a sexual assault accuser a liar who is guilty of perjuring herself under oath at the direction of political handlers... a rather serious crime if it was true... and for which you have literally no evidence whatsoever.

Those are the "tactics" you are wringing your hands over here, yes?

Yeah, Remirez received serious witness prep per her account to the New Yorker. It took 6 days with her lawyer to determine it was Kavanaugh. Not shrink but lawyer. That's witness prep.
Swetnick's story is uncorgoborated. Her key witnesses are dead. We have no police reports and likely won't ever have one. Had there been one that linked Kavanaugh or anyone in his circle of friends to a crime, those previous 6 back ground checks would have uncovered it. Also, she gives the time period she was aware of Dr. Ford's accusations, the driving factor for her coming forward at 6 weeks prior to her interview. That puts her decision at the same time as Dr. Ford sending her letter to her congresswoman. That speaks to coordination. No, I don't believe either of these accusers.

If there was coordination, then this entire circus is a despicable farce.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:08 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

So Peter, in your eyes 6 days of witness prep is worse than 3 months of alibi prep, and lying about doing the alibi prep?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics