Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Anyway, the point is that appointing and forcing through the nomination of someone in a controversy to one of the most important judicial posts sets a bad precedent.

ANY nominee Trump proposes will face exactly the same sort of 'controversy' as the Democrats refuse to allow him to 'win' a Supreme Court appointment.

Yeah that's why the same thing happened to Gorsuch!!!!

Oh wait...no... you're just full of crap
Post by Joat42   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Joat42 wrote:If Kavanaugh is innocent it's not fair to make him withdraw but it's not about fairness but what the consequences are for the judicial system down the line when it becomes even more politicized.

How, exactly, can it GET any more politicized?

That any decision the SCOTUS makes is politically motivated regardless.

Joat42 wrote:Anyway, the point is that appointing and forcing through the nomination of someone in a controversy to one of the most important judicial posts sets a bad precedent.

Imaginos1892 wrote:ANY nominee Trump proposes will face exactly the same sort of 'controversy' as the Democrats refuse to allow him to 'win' a Supreme Court appointment. Trump could nominate a present-day Thurgood Marshall and they'd bury the poor guy in shit.

And there it is, your belief that no matter what - the other side will always be wrong...

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Eyal   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:19 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

smr wrote:https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/10/29/kavanaugh-accuser-christine-blasey-ford-rakes-in-1-million-several-book-offers/

Ford is getting paid again! Told you that this would happen. I notice she has not pressed charges in Maryland!

As I understand, she can't - while there's no statute of limitations on attempted rape in Maryland now, there was a one-year SoL at the time.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Eyal wrote:
smr wrote:https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/10/29/kavanaugh-accuser-christine-blasey-ford-rakes-in-1-million-several-book-offers/

Ford is getting paid again! Told you that this would happen. I notice she has not pressed charges in Maryland!

As I understand, she can't - while there's no statute of limitations on attempted rape in Maryland now, there was a one-year SoL at the time.
Depending on specific charges, but yes. It appears that there was a one year statute of limitations on Attempted Rape and related offences in 1982.

Also, given Ford's uncertainty as to where the alledged offence took place, there are jusrisdiction issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by smr   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Ayal, Annachie, Gcomeau, and Joat42 would you file charges based on the evidence presented? I ask you be a neutral observer and take out your individual political beliefs and make a decision based on the evidence. Now, remember. Mrs. Ford makes the accusation of sexual assault and 3 different witnesses do not remember her at the party. Two, recovered members are highly suspect in a court of law. Three, the inconsistent testimony of Mrs. Ford and changing nature of her testimony.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:51 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Nope.
But then rape, and attempted rape, are notoriously difficult to prosecute even now. Let alone 35 years ago.

But honesy, would you appoint someone to the highest court in the land after that performance at the confirmation hearing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:56 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

1. The party that Kavanaugh claimed never happened, until he accidently proved that it did?

2. They are not recovered memories. Please stop flogging that dead horse.

3. Actually, typical for those who suffer severe trauma. You should stop flogging that horse too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:And there it is, your belief that no matter what - the other side will always be wrong...

Are you claiming the Democrats won't throw shit at Trump's next nominee?

I predict they will throw shit. Let's see who's right.

Annachie wrote:1. The party that Kavanaugh claimed never happened, until he accidently proved that it did?

Why would he remember one of many parties he was at 35 years ago? Hell, I don't remember most of the stuff I did 35 years ago. If he didn't do anything wrong, why would that one party stand out? I don't see that as proof of guilt.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

He didn't claim to not remember it, he claimed it never happened.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Joat42   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Joat42 wrote:And there it is, your belief that no matter what - the other side will always be wrong...

Are you claiming the Democrats won't throw shit at Trump's next nominee?

I predict they will throw shit. Let's see who's right.

I didn't say that, I pointed out that you have already made your mind up. If everyone does that there will be no room for discussion or compromise.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Politics