Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump gets another SCOTUS appointment?
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:54 am

gcomeau
Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
Annachie wrote:Ywing, my understanding is that the FBI were asked to do it as part of their background check function.
But as that had already closed, only the President can order it reopened.

Annachie, I believe that is what is requested. However, democrats are asking for a full investigation into the allegations. That's not the same as what you would do in a background investigation.

Yes, rather it's the same as what you would do if serious criminal allegations were made against someone who is up for a lifetime appointment to the most powerful court in the country.

And the GOP and White House are refusing to let that investigation occur. Guess why.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

It's certainly a weird one. Because the FBI doesn't really make a decision on people's clearances. So other than people's statements I'm not sure what else the FBI could do. I think it's unlikely they could provide anymore facts unless the other people from the party are located. And I think their testimony might damage the victim more than Kavanaugh since I think it's unlikely they'll remember once specific time from when they were drinking. I would hope anyone who could corroborate her story would start coming forward.

I have to agree though (I lean more republican) and I'm pretty disappointed in the committee myself. They need to withdrawn his appointment and put someone else forward. I thought trump said he had a list of 19 people when he nominated Gorusch. Time to let the FBI do it's thing and move on.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 am

gcomeau
Admiral

ywing14 wrote:It's certainly a weird one. Because the FBI doesn't really make a decision on people's clearances. So other than people's statements I'm not sure what else the FBI could do. I think it's unlikely they could provide anymore facts unless the other people from the party are located. And I think their testimony might damage the victim more than Kavanaugh since I think it's unlikely they'll remember once specific time from when they were drinking. I would hope anyone who could corroborate her story would start coming forward.

I have to agree though (I lean more republican) and I'm pretty disappointed in the committee myself. They need to withdrawn his appointment and put someone else forward. I thought trump said he had a list of 19 people when he nominated Gorusch. Time to let the FBI do it's thing and move on.

He has a list of 19 people who are generally right wing conservative judges which were provided to him as soon as he was elected.

Kavanaugh was not on that list.

Unlike the rest of those justices, Kavanaugh has publicly expressed the opinion that a sitting president should be immune not only to criminal prosecution but also to even being subpoenaed to testify in a criminal investigation.

Guess how Kavanaugh suddenly got jumped to the head of a list he wasn't even on before... and why Trump hasn't pulled him.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

gcomeau wrote:
ywing14 wrote:It's certainly a weird one. Because the FBI doesn't really make a decision on people's clearances. So other than people's statements I'm not sure what else the FBI could do. I think it's unlikely they could provide anymore facts unless the other people from the party are located. And I think their testimony might damage the victim more than Kavanaugh since I think it's unlikely they'll remember once specific time from when they were drinking. I would hope anyone who could corroborate her story would start coming forward.

He has a list of 19 people who are generally right wing conservative judges which were provided to him as soon as he was elected.

He was on the updated list a year ago. But why does it matter to you if he was on the list or not? If he had been on the original list wouldn’t you still say that’s why he got nominated? He’s was well qualified for the position.
Kavanaugh was not on that list.

Unlike the rest of those justices, Kavanaugh has publicly expressed the opinion that a sitting president should be immune not only to criminal prosecution but also to even being subpoenaed to testify in a criminal investigation.

Guess how Kavanaugh suddenly got jumped to the head of a list he wasn't even on before... and why Trump hasn't pulled him.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The point is that the only reason Kavanaugh appears to have been nominated is that one view.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ywing14   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:The point is that the only reason Kavanaugh appears to have been nominated is that one view.

No that’s just view of people who don’t like trump or aren’t republicans. He had sterling reputation prior to the current allegations.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Sterling?
It took three years for his original nomination to the bench to go through.
He was later accused of misleading the committee. (Which he did)

He has just about the most conservative voting record amongst his peers.

Basically, he is partisan as hell and has a bad history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Eyal   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:33 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

smr wrote:She and Judge Cavanaugh's family has a history together? His mother ruled on her parents bankruptcy in about 1997. Do you need the case number?

Since this hasn't been addressed...

AFAICT Kavanaugh's mother basically "ruled" in favor of Ford's parents by granting a motion to dismiss the foreclosure against them. So if anything I'd expect Ford to be grateful towards her, not seeking payback. (Although bear in mind that AFAICT Marta Kavanaugh's involvement was strictly "paperwork - she didn't even hold a hearing)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:47 am

TFLYTSNBN

zyffyr wrote:
gcomeau wrote:And FFS, even if you think it WAS "recovered" memory you would be admitting this was NOT a hatchet job on a Supreme Court nominee if the recovery happened 6 freaking years ago and was documented at the time!!!! So make up your mind what BS story it is you want to claim is going on here.

I haven't seen anything credible suggesting that it is a 'recovered memory'. If it was, however, I would instantly place zero value on her story. Why? So called 'recovered memories' are almost always false memories created by the questions asked by the therapist.

Reminds me of NBA player Glen Rice's suddenly remembering an alleged fling with Governor Palin a quarter century ago. Given the reputation that NBA players have for promiscuity, the claim that he could remember her so vividly would suggest that she was the best he ever had. The fact that Gov Palin married Todd rather than Glen wouod suggest that it is Todd rather than Glen whom God has gifted with a "womb shifter." Far more plausible that he was just making crap up to support the Democrat political agenda. The presumption that conservative Republicans are so racist that they would be aghast that their heroine who had married and had three babies with an Eskimo would have sex with a black man.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

gcomeau
Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
Annachie wrote:The point is that the only reason Kavanaugh appears to have been nominated is that one view.

No that’s just view of people who don’t like trump or aren’t republicans. He had sterling reputation prior to the current allegations.

He is widely known to have perjured himself during his last confirmation hearing on the question of being in receipt of and making use of stolen documents from Senate Democrats.

He is hiding all of his records of the time he spent working for an administration that was engaged in trying to craft legal justifications for the torture of prisoners in US custody.

No. He very much did not have a sterling reputation. He should have been removed from the Federal bench on the perjury issue alone, not put up for promotion.

There is exactly ONE thing that stands out about Kavanaugh relative to the other judges on that list (besides him having perjured himself of course). And that is his expressed opinion on presidents being immune to criminal law in any way whatsoever.

Don't be naive about how he got jumped to the head of the line for a nomination.

Return to Politics