Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Time for the United States to withdraw from NATO?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Time for the United States to withdraw from NATO?
Post by Annachie   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Well to be fair to Ronnie and his debt he was trying to spend the USSR into collapse, and basically succeeded.

Obama caught the collapse of a massive bubble and burned money keeping the economy up.

Bush jnr and Obama had that little war going on in the Middle East.

Not saying they are good or bad things to have done, but they are reasons.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Well to be fair to Ronnie and his debt he was trying to spend the USSR into collapse, and basically succeeded.

And what good was exactly achieved by that?...
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Daryl   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

From the vantage point of a citizen of a developed country that is about as far away from the cold war territory as possible my view is: The Pax Americana has major flaws, mainly that it is a vehicle for US companies to make money, and that the US knows how to smash a regime militarily but are hopeless at rebuilding after that.
However, looking at how the countries in the Soviet Union and its satellite countries fared, a world dominated by the Soviet Union would have been much worse still.
East Germany is the most obvious example, Mercedes or Trabbi? Travel in the Baltic, and the locals still fear the Russians. In Prague the NAZIs were the most hated, but the Soviets were despised as well.

Dilandu wrote:
Annachie wrote:Well to be fair to Ronnie and his debt he was trying to spend the USSR into collapse, and basically succeeded.

Post by Annachie   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:

I'm not sure, but Americans thought it was a good thing at the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ywing14   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm an American, and generally a centrist. Given the current state of politics in the USA probably one of the last of a dying breed.

The USA should not withdraw from NATO. If anything what happened in the Ukraine and in the US election show Russia is a continued threat. Not to mention how many NATO allies have lost soldiers in Iraq in Afghanistan. I think it is a slap in the face to just quit on them that way. Do I think the alliance needs to be revamped and questioned? Certainly, like any alliance, it should be looked at and analyzed to determine if it is still serving the purpose it was supposed to.

Additionally, I disagree most conservatives want to leave NATO. Most conservatives just want to see everyone in Europe paying 2% of their GDP like we've all agreed to do. Most are heading in that direction even if we don't like the pace at which they're doing it.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Daryl wrote:From the vantage point of a citizen of a developed country that is about as far away from the cold war territory as possible my view is: The Pax Americana has major flaws, mainly that it is a vehicle for US companies to make money, and that the US knows how to smash a regime militarily but are hopeless at rebuilding after that.
However, looking at how the countries in the Soviet Union and its satellite countries fared, a world dominated by the Soviet Union would have been much worse still.
East Germany is the most obvious example, Mercedes or Trabbi? Travel in the Baltic, and the locals still fear the Russians. In Prague the NAZIs were the most hated, but the Soviets were despised as well.

I agree, that the world dominated by Soviet Union would not be much nicer place (albeit not much worse also) that what we have now, but my point was, that bi-polar world of Cold War era was MUCH stable that what we have now. Both superpowers knew that there are limits to what they could do, because there was the opposing side. Both superpowers knew, that they could not just ignore problems somewhere else, because the opposing side would immediately play this card to their advantage. There were much less chaos. Much less hot-headed actions.

Post by Dilandu   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:05 am

Dilandu
Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I

The USA should not withdraw from NATO. If anything what happened in the Ukraine and in the US election show Russia is a continued threat.

Strange; considering what happened in Iraq, Lybia, Yemen and Syria, I was under impression that USA much better fit the "continued threat"...

Post by ywing14   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
ywing14 wrote:I

The USA should not withdraw from NATO. If anything what happened in the Ukraine and in the US election show Russia is a continued threat.

Strange; considering what happened in Iraq, Lybia, Yemen and Syria, I was under impression that USA much better fit the "continued threat"...

Your post doesn't make any sense to me since we are discussing NATO and the US membership. If you want to create a thread that's discusses the threat the US poses to the rest of the world then by all means do so and make that comment there. Then we can discuss the very real threat the USA poses to money countries around the world.

Return to Politics