Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

CO2 sanity

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: CO2 sanity
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:The energy production in Norway is 98-99% hydroelectric and as far as I know they haven't had problems with brownouts - especially considering that their energy grid has very good interconnections with the other Scandinavian countries and the European continent. They are currently ramping up energy production from other renewable sources as wind and solar though in an attempt to diversify.

Hmm. Maybe it was Denmark after all. I remember seeing an article a few years ago about a North European country — I was sure it was Norway — having trouble managing their electrical load because they were getting over 40% of it from wind and solar power, mostly wind. All those 400-foot windmills out in the North Sea.

Why do they only put 3 skinny little blades on those things, anyway? I'd think 7 blades would provide substantially more torque for the same fan diameter, producing more power for very little increased cost.

It takes baseline generation to power a city, or a country. Steady, reliable, controllable sources. Hydroelectric power is reliable, and simple to control by just turning a valve. Yeah, I know there's more to it than that; it's simple, not easy. But there are only so many rivers, and so many canyons or valleys you can dam up. We've already dammed up most of them.

Intermittent sources like wind and solar can only be supplemental power, not baseline. Counting on them for more than 40% will give you those stability problems.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:..snip..
Any classically trained operational meterologist understands that the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere is self regulating. CO2 is NOT the thermostat that regulates the temperature of the planet by regulating water vapor concentration.

As far as I know the self regulating mechanism of water vapor in the atmosphere is poorly understood except in general terms and anyone claiming to understand it fully is deluded.

Furthermore, we have no long term historical data on the content of water vapor in the atmosphere so no one has a baseline to use for establishing trends.

And you are entirely correct in that CO2 is not the thermostat, but it does affect the hysteresis of it and only a fool mucks around with variables in a black box system while saying it doesn't affect it.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:07 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:
Any classically trained operational meterologist understands that the concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere is self regulating. CO2 is NOT the thermostat that regulates the temperature of the planet by regulating water vapor concentration.

As far as I know the self regulating mechanism of water vapor in the atmosphere is poorly understood except in general terms and anyone claiming to understand it fully is deluded.

Furthermore, we have no long term historical data on the content of water vapor in the atmosphere so no one has a baseline to use for establishing trends.

And you are entirely correct in that CO2 is not the thermostat, but it does affect the hysteresis of it and only a fool mucks around with variables in a black box system while saying it doesn't affect it.

Thank you for the very cogent arguments.

I would disagree with the contention that the self regulation of water vapor is not well understood. A good starting place is here:

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/ ... g.html?m=1

It is not possible to have a long term record of water vapor concerntration. However; we do have a proxy record of CO2 concentration. The correlation between CO2 and temperature is interesting. CO2 lags behind​temperature, suggesting outgassing from warmer oceans.

Your point about messing with the hysteresis of the planet not being advisable is valid. However; the record of CO2 concentration reveals that much higher concentrations have been the normal in the past and this correlates to more life. I will concede that we need to hedge our bets by having a plan to sequester Carbon. Planting trees is not the answer because they burn so spectacularly when overstocked. The oceans can sequester massive quantities of CO2. Building OTEC that generate power and produce massive quantities of fresh water while stimulating plankton growth that is partially transformed into Calcium-Carbonate is the most effective option.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Your point about messing with the hysteresis of the planet not being advisable is valid. However; the record of CO2 concentration reveals that much higher concentrations have been the normal in the past and this correlates to more life. I will concede that we need to hedge our bets by having a plan to sequester Carbon. Planting trees is not the answer because they burn so spectacularly when overstocked. The oceans can sequester massive quantities of CO2. Building OTEC that generate power and produce massive quantities of fresh water while stimulating plankton growth that is partially transformed into Calcium-Carbonate is the most effective option.

As you say, higher CO2 concentrations can mean more life - but I'm afraid that doesn't necessarily include the human race.

---

Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The thing with wind power, well things really, are you need hydro accumulators as a battery source, and as a power source it's up and down times are predictable.
Similar with solar systems.

In Oz, well the southern part, our coal plants aren't predictable because so many of them are so old.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Leaving aside the whole mankind climate change question for a moment, there are clear advantages to researching ways to minimise it.
My current family hatchback replaced a ten year old one from the same maker. Noticeably quicker, and uses about 30% less fuel, all due to carbon emission research.
Due to my domestic solar panels and solar hot water system I haven't had an electricity account for 11 years now.
Just as wars promote technological progress so does an international research effort like this.
Post by aairfccha   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:57 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:Why do they only put 3 skinny little blades on those things, anyway? I'd think 7 blades would provide substantially more torque for the same fan diameter, producing more power for very little increased cost.

Optimisation. More than doubling the number of 60+ m long blades pushes up costs more than a little while return is limited. Torque alone isn't that important if you run an electric generator.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Why do they only put 3 skinny little blades on those things, anyway?

More than doubling the number of 60+ m long blades pushes up costs more than a little while return is limited. Torque alone isn't that important if you run an electric generator.

Torque x RPM = Power. More torque means you can draw more current from the alternator without slowing it down. More current at the same voltage is more power.

Four more blades won't make the foundation, tower or alternator assembly cost any more, and will approximately double torque, therefore power output. Take a look at a picture — 98% of the wind just passes between those 3 blades without doing any work at all.

You have to avoid 4, 6 or 8 blades because of harmonic vibrations, so you're left with 5 or 7.
———————————
Bring out yer dead!
Post by Annachie   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Aparently, they use three blades as a compromise between stability and drag. More than one blade and drag starts to drop your power generation.
Less than three causes stability issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Joat42   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Annachie wrote:The thing with wind power, well things really, are you need hydro accumulators as a battery source, and as a power source it's up and down times are predictable.
Similar with solar systems.

In Oz, well the southern part, our coal plants aren't predictable because so many of them are so old.

Luckily you got the Tesla Powerpack project down there that picks up the slack. And it also pays for itself by keeping the frequency much more stable and that reduced the grid service cost by 90%.

---

Return to Politics