Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Why Do Foreigners Presume to Lecture the US?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Presume to Lecture the US?
Post by edgeworthy   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:47 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

We absolutely need a like button here!
Post by noblehunter   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:30 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

I pay so much attention to US politics because it's such train wreck. Our government is much more functional at the moment so it's boring.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:25 pm

TFLYTSNBN

noblehunter wrote:I pay so much attention to US politics because it's such train wreck. Our government is much more functional at the moment so it's boring.

Where oh where is this spectacularly functional and therefore boring government that you speak of?
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:35 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
noblehunter wrote:I pay so much attention to US politics because it's such train wreck. Our government is much more functional at the moment so it's boring.

Where oh where is this spectacularly functional and therefore boring government that you speak of?

That's *more functional* than the current US government?

They could be talking about almost anywhere in the developed world.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Interesting comments. Still does not explain the time and energy that foreigners expend on criticize the US and "study" our internal politics. No Americans outside of the CIA and a few Political Science students would bother to comment on other countries' internal affairs.

The consensus seems to be that there is resentment over the way the US has intervened to maintain the Cold War "Pax Americana". If so, why are you so enraged by Trump? Trump is a NeoIsolationist who is dismantling the network of entangling alliances that obligated as well as enabled the US to contain the Soviet Union. Trump also embraces energy independence which ensures that the US is not going to be waging war in the Middle East. Trump is also dismantling the Brenton Woods Free Trade regime that enables foreign countries free access to US markets. You will no longer have to compete with Americàn consumers driving up the cost of foreign produced goods by buying them.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

In this case a short answer to the question is that you asked us too.
Lots of good comments on here so I won't repeat them. Any answer to the Pax Americana question has to be complex. The world is a better place than if the US hadn't existed, as the Soviet Union would probably have imposed a grey existence over us.
However we do know that much of what the US does in its world policeman role is motivated by self interest, and enables their businesses to make lots of money. Plus many resent US "culture" as being crass and low brow.
As to Trump, the man offends me every time he twitters or speaks. To me he is the epitome of the "ugly American" who we all encounter on our travels. Loud, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and dangerous in his current role.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

May I introduce you to Australian politics? :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:In this case a short answer to the question is that you asked us too.
Lots of good comments on here so I won't repeat them. Any answer to the Pax Americana question has to be complex. The world is a better place than if the US hadn't existed, as the Soviet Union would probably have imposed a grey existence over us.
However we do know that much of what the US does in its world policeman role is motivated by self interest, and enables their businesses to make lots of money. Plus many resent US "culture" as being crass and low brow.
As to Trump, the man offends me every time he twitters or speaks. To me he is the epitome of the "ugly American" who we all encounter on our travels. Loud, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and dangerous in his current role.

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irq/

It appears that US corporations are not making much money in Iraq.

The US is far behind other countries for oil purchases from Iraq as well as sales to Iraq.

I guess the Iraq war was a case of American blood for everyone else's (China, India) oil.

So much for that load of crap.

I hate it when I forget a link.
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:13 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:It appears that US corporations are not making much money in Iraq.

Please stop being so ignorant and do some research on your own.
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:15 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Interesting comments. Still does not explain the time and energy that foreigners expend on criticize the US and "study" our internal politics. No Americans outside of the CIA and a few Political Science students would bother to comment on other countries' internal affairs.

So you're not an american then?

Or are you a CIA analyst or PolSci student? (Probably not, since you haven't actually read or attempted to understand or address most of the comments in this thread)

Return to Politics