Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Why Do Foreigners Presume to Lecture the US?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Presume to Lecture the US?
Post by Joat42   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:41 am

Joat42
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Interesting comments. Still does not explain the time and energy that foreigners expend on criticize the US and "study" our internal politics. No Americans outside of the CIA and a few Political Science students would bother to comment on other countries' internal affairs.
..snip..

I think that is mostly due to the fact that US internal politics have a huge impact on US foreign policies and actions which impacts other countries on a larger scale than the other way around.

This means that what happens in the US usually end up in the news all over the world, even if the news is about purely internal matters because of the reason above.

Also, I've found that most US citizens are unusually ignorant about the world outside their borders and even about their own country (of course, every country have ignorant people in this regard but the US more so). This means that the majority doesn't really care what happens in the rest of the world because from their POV it doesn't impact them in any way - so your comment about "Americans outside the CIA . . ." imminently describes the issue from an US point of view because you are still stuck at the naval gazing instead of looking at the bigger picture of the world.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:02 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Because USA spend the good part of late-XX and early XXI century lecturing others how they should live to conform the US point of view. Consider this as delayed justice :)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:It appears that US corporations are not making much money in Iraq.

Please stop being so ignorant and do some research on your own.

I forgot to post the link.

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irq/

The US is far from the major buyer of Iraqi oil.

The US is far from the major vendor of petroleum development services or other products to Iraq.

You are the one who is ignorant.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 am

TFLYTSNBN

Joat42 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Interesting comments. Still does not explain the time and energy that foreigners expend on criticize the US and "study" our internal politics. No Americans outside of the CIA and a few Political Science students would bother to comment on other countries' internal affairs.
..snip..

I think that is mostly due to the fact that US internal politics have a huge impact on US foreign policies and actions which impacts other countries on a larger scale than the other way around.

This means that what happens in the US usually end up in the news all over the world, even if the news is about purely internal matters because of the reason above.

Also, I've found that most US citizens are unusually ignorant about the world outside their borders and even about their own country (of course, every country have ignorant people in this regard but the US more so). This means that the majority doesn't really care what happens in the rest of the world because from their POV it doesn't impact them in any way - so your comment about "Americans outside the CIA . . ." imminently describes the issue from an US point of view because you are still stuck at the naval gazing instead of looking at the bigger picture of the world.

I did not suggest that Americans are ignorant of other countries' internal affairs. I simply pointed out that Americans seldom go on to forums to comment on foreign affairs.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:45 am

TFLYTSNBN

Dilandu wrote:Because USA spend the good part of late-XX and early XXI century lecturing others how they should live to conform the US point of view. Consider this as delayed justice :)

"Lecturing others how they should live" = compelling the Europeans to divest themselves of the mercantile empires that were the cause of so many wars and imposing free trade instead? The Europeans are still butt hurt about that.

Of course the US lecturing finally caused the Soviet Empire to collapse to. I seem to recall that some people in the US lectured the Soviet Union about Stalin efforts to exterminate the Ukrainians.

On the other hand, it was the United States that incited the current conflict in Ukraine rather than allow Ukraine to remain neutral. I for one am not eilling to refight the Crimean War.
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:47 am

The E
Admiral

A couple of things.

1. The article I posted (non-paywalled link here) was explicitly about Iraq's economy after the war -- A time when Kellog Brown and Root was getting billions of US money to rebuild infrastructure destroyed by US and Iraqi forces.

2. What Daryl wrote was "However we do know that much of what the US does in its world policeman role is motivated by self interest, and enables their businesses to make lots of money."
What you responded was "We do not make that much money in Iraq right now, so you're wrong"; The problem being that that's really nothing to do with Daryl's point: The second Iraq war and its immediate aftermath made a lot of US companies a lot of money. That other people are now also making money in Iraq does not impact Daryl's point at all.

Here's a free tip for you when you feel you're being lectured to by ignorant foreigners: Try to read and understand what they are actually saying and respond to that.
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
"Lecturing others how they should live" = compelling the Europeans to divest themselves of the mercantile empires that were the cause of so many wars and imposing free trade instead? The Europeans are still butt hurt about that.

Considering how many wars started US after that - small favor, actually.

Of course the US lecturing finally caused the Soviet Empire to collapse to.

And what exactly right USA have to "lecture" the Soviet Union? :) Not to mention that USSR collapse - as it become painfully clear - changes situation only to the worst, creating numerous wars, ethnic conflicts and forcing great regions into economical depression.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Eyal   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I did not suggest that Americans are ignorant of other countries' internal affairs. I simply pointed out that Americans seldom go on to forums to comment on foreign affairs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...wait, you're serious?

Americans go on forums to criticize foreign countries ALL THE TIME. Often while smugly proclaiming on how the US is the bestest.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm just waiting for China to take over the world. The we won't have to worry about discussing any of these things since the censors will just delete all of our comments.

I don't have a problem with people arguing/lecturing/debating USA politics as long as they're willing to discuss their own countries internal dynamics why should it matter? If I have any real issues it when people try to discuss firearms as most developed countries have no real history of private gun ownership I find it hard to come up with a frame to start the discussion.

I've had the pleasure of traveling all over the world and living overseas. Personally, I've found intelligent and ignorant people everywhere.

Return to Politics