Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

So much for the Dem blue wave

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: So much for the Dem blue wave
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am

The E
Admiral

smr wrote:Happy Birthday America! God Bless Evryone! This song was banned by facebook censors until such outcry they had to rescind the ban.

Another day, another instance of smr posting lies.

Here's what happened: The band wanted to use facebook's paid promotion feature to promote their music video. Facebook approved the ad, then unapproved it because the video was flagged (presumably automatically) as political content. Then the unapproval was appealed, someone at facebook decided that the video doesn't fall under the guidelines covering political content, and reapproved the ad campaign. It was "banned" (read: Not actively promoted using the paid promotion pipeline facebook offers) for less than a day; as far as I can tell, at no point was the video unviewable.

(because smr won't read anything else, here's the fox report on the matter: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/03/ ... -song.html)

In other words: Facebook's automated content curation systems are bad, News at Eleven. To read some sort of bias into it is dishonest, IMHO.
Post by smr   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:34 am

smr
Vice Admiral

The article I based my comment on:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/07/03/just-in-time-for-the-4th-facebook-censors-patriotic-country-song-because-of-political-content

Have a nice 4th of July! God Bless! Still praying for you.

The E wrote:
smr wrote:Happy Birthday America! God Bless Evryone! This song was banned by facebook censors until such outcry they had to rescind the ban.

Another day, another instance of smr posting lies.

Here's what happened: The band wanted to use facebook's paid promotion feature to promote their music video. Facebook approved the ad, then unapproved it because the video was flagged (presumably automatically) as political content. Then the unapproval was appealed, someone at facebook decided that the video doesn't fall under the guidelines covering political content, and reapproved the ad campaign. It was "banned" (read: Not actively promoted using the paid promotion pipeline facebook offers) for less than a day; as far as I can tell, at no point was the video unviewable.

(because smr won't read anything else, here's the fox report on the matter: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/03/ ... -song.html)

In other words: Facebook's automated content curation systems are bad, News at Eleven. To read some sort of bias into it is dishonest, IMHO.
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 am

The E
Admiral

That article is an abbreviated repost of the Fox piece.

I also note that it doesn't state anything about any "public outcry".

To cry "censorship" is, at the very least, a stupidly hyperbolic statement; stupidly, because it evokes the notion that facebook is somehow actively deciding to censor content like this (they aren't).

What facebook (and google) are is very much in love with algorithms. If the algorithm says something is political, and facebook decides that political ads deserve more scrutiny than nonpolitical ones, then stuff like this happens. Not because facebook has some sort of bias against conservatives.
Post by smr   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:04 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Excuses! Are these companies like utilities or private companies. If they are private companies they have the right to censor what they want. However, if these companies represent themselves as utilities they can not censor people. (They are either private companies or utilities but not both!)

The E wrote:That article is an abbreviated repost of the Fox piece.

I also note that it doesn't state anything about any "public outcry".

To cry "censorship" is, at the very least, a stupidly hyperbolic statement; stupidly, because it evokes the notion that facebook is somehow actively deciding to censor content like this (they aren't).

What facebook (and google) are is very much in love with algorithms. If the algorithm says something is political, and facebook decides that political ads deserve more scrutiny than nonpolitical ones, then stuff like this happens. Not because facebook has some sort of bias against conservatives.
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

The E
Admiral

smr wrote:(They are either private companies or utilities but not both!)

Why would anyone ever believe facebook was a utility?
Post by smr   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Goggle, facebook, and twitter have at times represented themselves as a utility and at other times have represented themselves as a private corporation in Congressional hearings. My point is either these corporations are private companies and censorship is legal or they are utilities (which they have represented or portrayed themselves as) they can discriminate based speech, race, religious beliefs, or ideology. Are these companies public utilities or private corporations? Differ rules, regulations, and standards apply to the different designations.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually your point is diversion smr. Again.

You said something completely wrong, that you got from a site that is to tje right of Breitbart, and got calked on it.

In a matter of a couple of hours you flipped from how dare they censor this, to they can censor what they like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Actually your point is diversion smr. Again.

You said something completely wrong, that you got from a site that is to tje right of Breitbart, and got calked on it.

In a matter of a couple of hours you flipped from how dare they censor this, to they can censor what they like.

"The dog ate my homework!"

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by smr   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:57 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

A die hard liberal friend of mine sent this link to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8LagPx8oY

Now, my friend thinks that this guy crying is funny and hilarious. While I disagree because I see this from a prospective of a Great Awakening. The best way to put it is like when Seven of Nine ov ST Voyager rejects the Borg Collective and learns to embrace individuality and free thinking.
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:46 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:A die hard liberal friend of mine sent this link to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw8LagPx8oY

Now, my friend thinks that this guy crying is funny and hilarious. While I disagree because I see this from a prospective of a Great Awakening. The best way to put it is like when Seven of Nine ov ST Voyager rejects the Borg Collective and learns to embrace individuality and free thinking.

Wow, the ignorance is impressive.

"I respected the office under Obama but there's nobody like Trump, if you want to work there's jobs out there!"

Ummm yeah, because of guess who?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUqbOK-UQAA0-Wh.jpg

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/ ... k=TEo7chwj

But Trump climbs up on stage and tells his mob it's all because of him and it's like they slept through the last 8 years and fall at his feet to worship.

Gullible. Beyond. Belief.

Return to Politics