Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Trump - free zone

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Michael Everett wrote:
munroburton wrote:The whole Communist spy thing is a convenient distraction for both sides. The smoke from it is helping to obscure Labour's latest fidgeting on Brexit policy and throwing another log on the metaphorical fire that Corbyn's support base is. "Boo! Nasty MSM and lying Tories at it again!"

For the Tories, it distracts from their incompetence and inability to agree. It also feeds their support base's fire - "Corbyn schemes with Europeans! Corbyn is a hard-left communist who will nationalise YOU!"

I don't think that Corbyn actually schemes, although I'm fairly sure that people have schemed in ways that take advantage of him.
As for the nationalization thing... seriously. Just read his press releases. Dude wants to re-privatize stuff and put it under government control, because that worked so well last time it was done. Six weeks wait for a phone line to be installed ring a bell? Rolling brown-outs and three-day-weeks due to power issues? Brilliant.

munroburton wrote:an exit from the EU which the government's own impact assessments suggests will reduce UK economic growth by 5-8%.

Really? An independent assessment actually came up with the figure that the economic growth would probably increase by about 4%...
You must remember that the Civil Service abhors change and while they (probably) won't actively work against it, changing anything encounters a lot of passive resistance and warnings.
Watch Yes Minister to see how the Civil Service works. Margaret Thatcher herself said that the TV show was essential viewing for anyone who had to interact with the bureaucrats...

Well, I was reading economic assessments from before the referendum and they generally averaged + or - 2% change in growth. During the campaign, however, both sides cherry picked the reports which either predicted plagues of frogs and the death of the first born or rainbows, unicorns and puppies.

They weren't lying: the plague of frogs one was produced by a perfectly respectable
LSE academic. They just didn't mention that they were the outliers.

'It won't make much difference in the long term' isn't going to change any policies. Or gain any votes, or make good headlines. So the reports we will get will be the ones with the maximum predictions of percentage change, on both sides.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:In the continuing saga of the GOPs war on representative government, having failed in their appeal to the Supreme Court members of the Pennsylvania state GOP are now calling for the impeachment of all 5 of the members of the State Supreme Court that ruled against them in the gerrymandering case.

The charges they want to impeach them on?

Ruling against them in the gerrymandering case.

I'm not joking.

To update. After repeated court orders to hold legally required special elections the Wisconsin GOP is just outright defying the courts. For absolutely no reason whatsoever beyond "we won't hold elections we know we'll lose".

Now, having failed every single legal challenge they have launched trying to avoid holding them they are calling a special legislative session to try to rewrite the election laws to avoid holding them.

ANYTHING to not allow the people of Wisconsin to vote to fill vacant seats for their representatives for as long as possible and deny those citizens government representation.

This is the modern GOP. This is not some outlying behavior, they are actively hostile to the idea of actual fair elections. Constant voter suppression and disenfranchisement, stunningly rigged gerrymandering initiatives, and now when even all that isn't enough to rig the process... this crap.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:36 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

It would seem that South Africa has started down the slippery slope that Zimbabwe so enthusiastically dived down.

Yep, they've started grabbing farmland.

Two farms already and more on the list.

A basic independent overview can be found here.

I think that within the next couple of years, South Africa will be facing a massive famine due to the lack of knowledge/experience of the farmers-to-be as proven in Zimbabwe. In addition, the price of land in South Africa has dropped through the bedrock since the knowledge that the farms are probably about to be seized means that virtually no-one will be willing to invest. After all, risky investments are one thing, simply throwing money away is another.

There is going to be one hell of an exodus once the famine sets in and once again, blame will not be placed on the people who set the events in progress.

This will be interesting, in the ancient Chinese sense of the term...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics