Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: smr and 2 guests

Trump - free zone

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by Daryl   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2362
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Read Harry Turteldove's Joe Steel to see where that leads.
In that book it was the US Supreme court that was sacked,
then tried for treason and then shot. The premise of that book is that Joe Stalin's pregnant mother emigrated so he was born in the USA.

gcomeau wrote:In the continuing saga of the GOPs war on representative government, having failed in their appeal to the Supreme Court members of the Pennsylvania state GOP are now calling for the impeachment of all 5 of the members of the State Supreme Court that ruled against them in the gerrymandering case.

The charges they want to impeach them on?

Ruling against them in the gerrymandering case.



I'm not joking.
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by biochem   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

Michael Everett wrote:To switch continents, one of our political leaders in the UK has just been publicly praised/supported by an (alleged) terrorist leader.

Gerry Addams of Sinn Fein (a political party regarded by many as being the political wing of the IRA... or the IRA being the paramilitary wing of Sinn Fein, depending on outlook) has praised Jeremy Corbyn and said he would make a brilliant Prime Minister.

To put things in perspective for you Americans, that's somewhat similar to Theodore John Kaczynski declaring that [Insert candidate here] should become the next President.

It's not surprising, though. Prior to escaping the back-benches, Corbyn has publicly referred to Sinn Fein, Hamas*, Hezbollah* and even the IRA as his friends/allies. Given that, it is unsurprising that a he would get support from those areas in turn.

*During the period when they were active terrorist groups and launching missiles at Israel, thus confirming Israel's view of the Palestinians as not being able to be trusted in negotiations. Had they gone for non-violent protests and sit-downs, Israel would probably no longer exist, or would be far smaller than it is now.


OUCH!!!!
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by biochem   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

biochem wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:To switch continents, one of our political leaders in the UK has just been publicly praised/supported by an (alleged) terrorist leader.

Gerry Addams of Sinn Fein (a political party regarded by many as being the political wing of the IRA... or the IRA being the paramilitary wing of Sinn Fein, depending on outlook) has praised Jeremy Corbyn and said he would make a brilliant Prime Minister.

To put things in perspective for you Americans, that's somewhat similar to Theodore John Kaczynski declaring that [Insert candidate here] should become the next President.

It's not surprising, though. Prior to escaping the back-benches, Corbyn has publicly referred to Sinn Fein, Hamas*, Hezbollah* and even the IRA as his friends/allies. Given that, it is unsurprising that a he would get support from those areas in turn.

*During the period when they were active terrorist groups and launching missiles at Israel, thus confirming Israel's view of the Palestinians as not being able to be trusted in negotiations. Had they gone for non-violent protests and sit-downs, Israel would probably no longer exist, or would be far smaller than it is now.


OUCH!!!!



How's the fallout from this coming?
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2130
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

biochem wrote:How's the fallout from this coming?

...*sigh*
You might call it the Trump Effect. Those that would support him, ignore it. Those that dislike him are already shouting about it, so it's getting drowned out.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-0010-6645
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2130
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

...and now it's getting worse.
Recently declassified documents from Czechoslovakia have revealed that on several occasions, Corbyn met a "Czechoslovakian Political Aide" to swap (thankfully) non-secret but useful background info.

Yep, you guessed it. The chap was a spy for the-then Communist Regime, a spy who had been chucked out of the UK by Margaret Thatcher's government for being a spy.

And Corbyn insists that he had no idea he was meeting anything other than a bureaucrat.
:roll:
If he's telling the truth, then he has to be one of the most naive people EVER!
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-0010-6645
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by munroburton   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 pm

munroburton
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
Location: Scotland

Michael Everett wrote:...and now it's getting worse.
Recently declassified documents from Czechoslovakia have revealed that on several occasions, Corbyn met a "Czechoslovakian Political Aide" to swap (thankfully) non-secret but useful background info.

Yep, you guessed it. The chap was a spy for the-then Communist Regime, a spy who had been chucked out of the UK by Margaret Thatcher's government for being a spy.

And Corbyn insists that he had no idea he was meeting anything other than a bureaucrat.
:roll:
If he's telling the truth, then he has to be one of the most naive people EVER!


The whole Communist spy thing is a convenient distraction for both sides. The smoke from it is helping to obscure Labour's latest fidgeting on Brexit policy and throwing another log on the metaphorical fire that Corbyn's support base is. "Boo! Nasty MSM and lying Tories at it again!"

For the Tories, it distracts from their incompetence and inability to agree. It also feeds their support base's fire - "Corbyn schemes with Europeans! Corbyn is a hard-left communist who will nationalise YOU!"

In the meantime, both May and Corbyn still appears to be on-course for an exit from the EU which the government's own impact assessments suggests will reduce UK economic growth by 5-8%. Both of them will order a three-line whip to wave through whatever miserable deal is finally agreed and, even if 100 MPs from each party(as well as the 10 DUP MPs) rebels against them, it will pass.

It's pathetic.
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2130
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

munroburton wrote:The whole Communist spy thing is a convenient distraction for both sides. The smoke from it is helping to obscure Labour's latest fidgeting on Brexit policy and throwing another log on the metaphorical fire that Corbyn's support base is. "Boo! Nasty MSM and lying Tories at it again!"

For the Tories, it distracts from their incompetence and inability to agree. It also feeds their support base's fire - "Corbyn schemes with Europeans! Corbyn is a hard-left communist who will nationalise YOU!"

I don't think that Corbyn actually schemes, although I'm fairly sure that people have schemed in ways that take advantage of him.
As for the nationalization thing... seriously. Just read his press releases. Dude wants to re-privatize stuff and put it under government control, because that worked so well last time it was done. Six weeks wait for a phone line to be installed ring a bell? Rolling brown-outs and three-day-weeks due to power issues? Brilliant.

munroburton wrote:an exit from the EU which the government's own impact assessments suggests will reduce UK economic growth by 5-8%.

Really? An independent assessment actually came up with the figure that the economic growth would probably increase by about 4%...
You must remember that the Civil Service abhors change and while they (probably) won't actively work against it, changing anything encounters a lot of passive resistance and warnings.
Watch Yes Minister to see how the Civil Service works. Margaret Thatcher herself said that the TV show was essential viewing for anyone who had to interact with the bureaucrats...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-0010-6645
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by The E   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 am

The E
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1743
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

Michael Everett wrote:Really? An independent assessment actually came up with the figure that the economic growth would probably increase by about 4%...
You must remember that the Civil Service abhors change and while they (probably) won't actively work against it, changing anything encounters a lot of passive resistance and warnings.
Watch Yes Minister to see how the Civil Service works. Margaret Thatcher herself said that the TV show was essential viewing for anyone who had to interact with the bureaucrats...


I guess that's why instead of actually putting out projections showing a prosperous future, the UK government says "Post Brexit UK will not be a Mad Max wasteland".

Also, even if there was a way for Britain to be prosperous after losing customs-free access to their largest trading partner, what exactly makes you think that the buffoons in charge can actually negotiate the treaties required in the time left?

The rest of the EU is already ramping up their customs enforcement agencies to deal with the fallout of a hard brexit, while May and her cronies haven't even decided if that's what they actually want.
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by munroburton   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:21 am

munroburton
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
Location: Scotland

Michael Everett wrote:
munroburton wrote:an exit from the EU which the government's own impact assessments suggests will reduce UK economic growth by 5-8%.

Really? An independent assessment actually came up with the figure that the economic growth would probably increase by about 4%...
You must remember that the Civil Service abhors change and while they (probably) won't actively work against it, changing anything encounters a lot of passive resistance and warnings.
Watch Yes Minister to see how the Civil Service works. Margaret Thatcher herself said that the TV show was essential viewing for anyone who had to interact with the bureaucrats...


Yes Minister - I have the boxset. I don't believe for a minute that the entire civil service is scheming to stop Brexit merely for ideologial reasons alone.

Which assessment is that, would it be Patrick Minford's? The one which says we have to essentially destroy manufacturing and agriculture, a deregulation bonfire and unilaterally remove all tariffs in the UK to pull it off?

I've decided to be patient and accept that this stupid mess will have to run its course. Ten or maybe twenty more years, the UK(or its successor countries) will be back in the EU, only this time without Thatcher's rebate, with Schengen, with the Euro and the rest of it. That's if they let us back in.

Full membership on equal terms. It's only fair.
Top
Re: Trump - free zone
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 am

isaac_newton
Captain of the List

Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Michael Everett wrote:...and now it's getting worse.
Recently declassified documents from Czechoslovakia have revealed that on several occasions, Corbyn met a "Czechoslovakian Political Aide" to swap (thankfully) non-secret but useful background info.

Yep, you guessed it. The chap was a spy for the-then Communist Regime, a spy who had been chucked out of the UK by Margaret Thatcher's government for being a spy.

And Corbyn insists that he had no idea he was meeting anything other than a bureaucrat.
:roll:
If he's telling the truth, then he has to be one of the most naive people EVER!



I'm not all all impressed with Corbyn, but that's garbage.

This Czeck 'spy' also claimed "that Corbyn told him “what Mrs Thatcher would have for breakfast, lunch and dinner” and that Czechoslovakia was responsible for funding Live Aid."

DOH! reliable source or what!!

Here's a bit more of a balanced statement of the facts.

Communist-era files from the intelligence agency of Czechoslovakia provide no evidence that Jeremy Corbyn was ever a spy or agent of influence, experts and academic researchers who have reviewed the papers said on Tuesday.

Radek Schovánek, an analyst with the defence ministry of the Czech Republic – which emerged, along with Slovakia, from the peaceful breakup of Czechoslovakia in 1993 – has spent 25 years researching documents filed by the now-defunct spy service. He told the Guardian the suspicions against Corbyn were unfounded, and the claims of Ján Sarkocy, a former intelligence officer expelled from Britain in 1989, to have signed the Labour leader up were false.

Schovánek also poured scorn on Sarkocy’s boast that he used 10 to 15 other Labour politicians in the 1980s as sources, including the current shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, and Ken Livingstone, the former mayor of London.

...

“They’ve found a former Czechoslovakian spy whose claims are increasingly wild and entirely false,” he said.

Sarkocy met with Corbyn in the 1980s in the House of Commons. In recent days, Sarkocy has claimed Corbyn was a paid informant of the StB, the Czechoslovakian security service. He also alleges other senior Labour figures were paid between £1,000 and £15,000 for information.

Schovánek said Sarkocy’s assertions were at odds with the security files, which represented the definitive record on agents and contacts, and made no reference to Corbyn as a recruited agent, or to McDonnell or Livingstone.

Asked if he was calling the ex-intelligence officer, now living near the Slovakian capital Bratislava, a liar, Schovánek said: “When you compare the documents which he had written and signed himself with what he is saying today, based on that he is a liar. He signed a list of documents in the UK which said Corbyn was an intelligence contact, not an agent.”

The term “intelligence contact” in reality meant little, Schovánek said. Czechoslovakian intelligence officers could have many such contacts, who provided little, if any information.

Schovánek, 54, who secretly smuggled banned books from the west into Czechoslovakia during the cold war, said he felt compelled to speak out on Corbyn’s behalf, despite strongly disagreeing with the Labour leader’s leftwing politics. “I personally don’t like Corbyn. I’m Roman Catholic and conservative, but I think we have to defend people against a lie,” he said.
Top

Return to Politics