Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: 2017
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
Americans are either too corrupt or the system too easily corrupts our agents.

You do realize that your argument here just boiled down to "Americans are the most corrupt least capable people in any developed nation on earth"? You get that that is the argument you just made right?

Not least capable, just corruptable. We are most exposed to corruption and are human enough to succumb. There are very capable folks like the Clintons who are corrupted into accepting hundreds of millions of dollars in gifts for access to meet her.

In what other nation does that sort of temptation exist? Most of the rest of the world don't face the same level of temptation.

Toss in the lobbyists and the problem expands greatly. Our elected reps in Congress are already legally able to engage in insider trading. They can accept 'donations" from foreign agents IF properly funneled to them. they have public funds that pay for their sexual harrassment claims against them. What about their past behavious suggests that our Representivitves won't turn another entitlement program into one of their easy access fund that will enrich them at the tax payer expense?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Said it before, and I'll say it again.

The only way to fix the American healthcare system is to literally buy the entire industry, rewrite the rules and restructure, then sell the appropriate bits back.

Obama care was an attempt to do socialized healthcare that was sabotaged by the US healthcare industry via the GOP.

The VA is a true abortion. It's not socialized healthcare, it's a government owned and run private healthcare system that follows the same ideology as the private system.

But then the US stopped giving a fuck about their soldiers years ago.
After all, it's about the only modern army where basic soldiers need welfare to live.

How did the GOP sabotage anything? They voted no. There were no amendments designed by any member of the GOP. Dems had enough votes to pass the bill without the GOP. They designed it. They listened to the insurance companies. They took the bribes to vote yes for that POS. If you believe San Fran Nan, they didn't even read it until they passed the bill through Reconciliation.
Proves my Effing point.

And, yeah, our reps gave up on the Vets insofar as they refused to change that abomination of the VA. One hopes they do change it finally it.
Post by The E   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

The E
Admiral

That moment when absolute belief in american exceptionalism leads you to call your fellow countrymen less moral than citizens of other countries.

... No, do go on, I really want to see where you're going with this. The amount of work you're doing to stay in your little safe space where capitalism is always good and definitely the right choice is fascinating.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

noblehunter wrote:You know what I like best about American conservatives? Their unwavering faith in the excellence and sterling character of the American people. It's heartening how they always see the best in America and get bogged down in all its failure and missteps. [/sarc]

Americans are fine folk. However, in any group of 320 million people there will be people who will be tempted to enrich themselves from government service. Is that good? Not at all. It is however, fact.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Annachie wrote:Said it before, and I'll say it again.

The only way to fix the American healthcare system is to literally buy the entire industry, rewrite the rules and restructure, then sell the appropriate bits back.

Obama care was an attempt to do socialized healthcare that was sabotaged by the US healthcare industry via the GOP.

The VA is a true abortion. It's not socialized healthcare, it's a government owned and run private healthcare system that follows the same ideology as the private system.

But then the US stopped giving a fuck about their soldiers years ago.
After all, it's about the only modern army where basic soldiers need welfare to live.

How did the GOP sabotage anything? They voted no. There were no amendments designed by any member of the GOP.

Holy crap...

Basically the *entire plan* was designed by the GOP. How can you possibly be this clueless about this subject?

Obama's decision was that in order to try to get health care reform passed he would massively compromise right out of the gate and just offer the GOP what was essentially their own plan from the 90s and their own Republican governor's plan from Massachusetts. Just so *something* could actually get done.

And then everyone in the GOP flipped 180 degrees and called it communism because Obama was the one offering it, and for no other reason.

Here, here is a presentation of the Heritage Foundation proposal it was based on.

https://healthcarereform.procon.org/sou ... ricans.pdf

Look familiar? Does it?

(I particularly like this part, some emphasis added by me)

The Heritage Foundation was established in 1973 as a non partisan, tax-exempt policy research institute dedicated to the principles of free competitive enterprise, limited government, individual liberty, and strong national defense...

THE HERITAGE PLAN

2) Mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance

Many states now require passengers in automobiles to wear seatbelts for their own protection. Many others require anybody driving a car to have liability insurance. But neither the Federal government nor any state requires all households to protect themselves from the potentially catastrophic costs of a serious accident or illness. Under the Heritage plan there would be such a requirement.

This mandate is based on two important principles. First, that health care protection is a responsibility of individuals, not businesses. Thus to the extent that anybody should be required to provide coverage to a family, the household mandate assumes that is it the family that carries the first responsibility. Second, it assumes that there is an implicit contract between households and society, based on the notion that health insurance is not like other forms of insurance protection. If a young man wrecks his Porsche and has not had the foresight to obtain insurance, we may commiserate but society feels no obligation to repair his car. But health care is different. If a man is struck down by a heart attack in the street, Americans will care for him whether or not he has insurance. If we find that he has spent his money on other things rather than insurance, we may be angry but we will not deny him services - even if that means more prudent citizens end up paying the tab.

A mandate on individuals recognizes this implicit contract. Society does feel a moral obligation to ensure that its citizens do not suffer from the unavailability of health care. But on the other hand, each household has the obligation, to the extent it is able, to avoid placing demands on society by protecting itself.

Who knew the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank was a communist organization in the late 80s and early 90s?????? I wonder if Reagan knew???

Dems had enough votes to pass the bill without the GOP. They designed it. They listened to the insurance companies. They took the bribes to vote yes for that POS. If you believe San Fran Nan, they didn't even read it until they passed the bill through Reconciliation.
Proves my Effing point.

Only if your point is that you are woefully misinformed about this entire subject.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

This current crop of GOP did not vote for it.
This current crop did not have input.
This current crop of Dems DID vote for this abortion.
This current crop of Dems did listen top the bad advice from the healthcare industry.

No matter how bad the previous plan was, the Dems could have started from scratch. They did not.

The Dems voted in support of this abomination after listening to the insurance industry and accepting their bribes. Like I said, all that money incentivizes corruption. This time, Dems are highlighted. We'll have Republicans highlighted in other programs, I am certain of that.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:This current crop of GOP did not vote for it.
This current crop did not have input.
This current crop of Dems DID vote for this abortion.
This current crop of Dems did listen top the bad advice from the healthcare industry.

It's like you're on a quest to prove you don;t know anything about *any* aspect of this.

Unlike with the recent tax scam debacle, the ACA had:

A MONTH of markup in the House. During which it gained a ton of GOP sponsored amendments.

It spent another 13 days of markup in the Senate Health Committee. Multiple GOP amendments incorporated.

It went through 53 public hearings and another 8 days of markup in the Senate Finance Committee. Multiple GOP amendment incorporated. The longest markup of any bill considered by that committee in 20 years.

Another 44 hearings and public events in the Senate at large.

It was out of committee going through these processes for EIGHT FREAKING MONTHS before they finally voted on it. On top of all the time it spent IN committee.

Pretty much every single thing you claim about this entire issue is just flat out diametrically opposed to reality. I don't even know how it's possible you lived through almost an entire YEAR of Congressional debate and markup and votes and committee meetings on ACa and came away with the impression it was rushed through with no input. Were you abducted by aliens and only returned when it was all over or something?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not a republican vote for this POS.
If the Dems believed any lies the GOP said regarding the bill, tough shit.
They voted for a piece of crap. The Dems voted for this piece of crap.

All else is dross, proglodyte!

Ps. Apologies, can't call you a proglodyte, you're Canadian.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I do feel some sympathy for PeterZ, being as he is fighting the good fight against all of us, but not enough to let a couple of outright misconceptions pass.
Firstly the lordly comment about how what works in little countries won't work in "The big US". Add up the numbers across the developed world and they come to much more than the US. I can't really see how scale comes into it as once you get over say ten million the system would be the same, and there are sizeable EU countries with efficient health systems.
Secondly, the assertion that nationalised health care would mean having to negotiate with bureaucrats is laughable. All in all my medical year from hell involved dozens of doctors and other medical staff, and the only contact I had with "the system" was when I rang them at about the $100k mark to see if they would switch me to a lower level or some thing. The lady laughed and reassured me that my world class coverage remained, and a few days later I got it in writing along with a cheery get well soon card.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Negotiate with bureaucrats? Not likely.
Lobbyists will WRITE the law just like they wrote the law for Obummercare. Elected officials will vote on it without reading the law, just like San Fran Nan.

There will be all sorts of benefits for those in the industry. There will be all sorts of benefits and advantages for those in the old industry to run things in the new government run industry. The government can't absorb $3.0TR from the private sector without adding a lot of people. Who do you think those people will be?

Negotiating with bureaucrats? That sort of small country thinking is why our sharks will get fat on socialized medicine at our citizen's expense. Most of our proglodytes follow that sort of logic.

Return to Politics