Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: 2017
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

biochem wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Quite simple. The stagnation of median wages has left quite a few folks behind. The Obama/Bush economy relied on monetary policy to expand the stock market. They allowed an implicit backstop on large to-big-to-fail banks' losses. Open borders and globalization have allowed wages (labor costs) to stagnate, while the social safety net picks up the dislocated workers stemming from both.

That's a mess. Both Bushes, may their legacies be eternally tarnished, followed the Clinton/Uniparty-establishment into trading economic growth for security well after the Soviet Union collapsed. Reagan granted Amnesty, but never got any firm control over the border. Not sure he tried very hard. That counts against him.

So, yeah, thigs got very messy after Bill Clinton. I was glad he had a Republican House and Senate to mitigate potential problems. That split government dynamic seems to work upon a few occasions.

And this is why those left behind said a pox on both your houses and elected Trump.

I gotta say, I agree with Peter Zeihan that Trump will be the most engaged President in foreign policy for the next few decades. As milennials hit their stride, America will get much more insular.
Post by The E   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 am

The E
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I gotta say, I agree with Peter Zeihan that Trump will be the most engaged President in foreign policy for the next few decades. As milennials hit their stride, America will get much more insular.

Proving once more that you have not a single clue what millennials are actually like.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

So the only policy he has managed to get actually through congress is the tax bill, which will benefit the top end of town, but those on median wages are celebrating? Delusional.
Here in Australia I showed some people a news article that incidentally mentioned how the US minimum wage is an annual $14,500. They didn't believe me and went to check. Not sure on ours but it's about $45 - $50k. Yet in proportion to population our economy is doing quite well, without your astronomical debt levels either. Don't forget that our "battlers" (like your deplorables) while living on that $45k also have free universal medical and a national welfare net (that gives them extra money per child).

PeterZ wrote:Quite simple. The stagnation of median wages has left quite a few folks behind. The Obama/Bush economy relied on monetary policy to expand the stock market. They allowed an implicit backstop on large to-big-to-fail banks' losses. Open borders and globalization have allowed wages (labor costs) to stagnate, while the social safety net picks up the dislocated workers stemming from both.

That's a mess. Both Bushes, may their legacies be eternally tarnished, followed the Clinton/Uniparty-establishment into trading economic growth for security well after the Soviet Union collapsed. Reagan granted Amnesty, but never got any firm control over the border. Not sure he tried very hard. That counts against him.

So, yeah, thigs got very messy after Bill Clinton. I was glad he had a Republican House and Senate to mitigate potential problems. That split government dynamic seems to work upon a few occasions.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Minimum wage is an entry level job for people without experience. That's usually high school kids working at McDonald's. Even McDonald's pays their more experienced folks more. Still, that you guys have good border controls and a sane immigration policy that allows you to set much higher minimum wage without having illegals swarm your borders. A growing economy has been a much faster way to increase the median wage.

The combination of reduced regulations at the agency level and lower corporate taxes will increase capital flows into the US. That's a big help to the economy. As for social medicine, our pols attempts at it tell me actually providing good healthcare at reasonable costs is not the principal priority for them. I'd rather trust the private sector.

In the end, I am not trying to persuade anyone or justify anything. Just answering a question.

Daryl wrote:So the only policy he has managed to get actually through congress is the tax bill, which will benefit the top end of town, but those on median wages are celebrating? Delusional.
Here in Australia I showed some people a news article that incidentally mentioned how the US minimum wage is an annual $14,500. They didn't believe me and went to check. Not sure on ours but it's about $45 - $50k. Yet in proportion to population our economy is doing quite well, without your astronomical debt levels either. Don't forget that our "battlers" (like your deplorables) while living on that $45k also have free universal medical and a national welfare net (that gives them extra money per child).

Post by The E   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 am

The E
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Minimum wage is an entry level job for people without experience. That's usually high school kids working at McDonald's. Even McDonald's pays their more experienced folks more. Still, that you guys have good border controls and a sane immigration policy that allows you to set much higher minimum wage without having illegals swarm your borders. A growing economy has been a much faster way to increase the median wage.

The US economy has been growing. Real wages, not so much.

Also, "Minimum wage is an entry level job"? That really isn't true anymore; not to mention that even "entry level" should be sufficient to pay for housing, food, transportation and clothing, which in many areas it really isn't.

Plus, what you and your generation calls "entry level", a lot of millennials are calling "dead end", because it doesn't pay enough to ever build enough capital to move on to better jobs.

But ackknowledging that, and the host of other issues you've caused (As enumerated in this article) would mean steeping out of your comfort zone and thinking about your own assumptions about the world, and we both know you're incapable of that.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Should point out.

That when we talk minimum wage we're talking full time, 36 to 40 hours a week, work.

Casual rates, for those working less than that (don't ask specifics) is usually the hourly rate from above plus about 15%.
It's been a while since I worked a job like that though so my memory might be off. But I think that's what some of my kids get.
That doesn't include apprentice wages for example, who get about half that in their first year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

So, your minimum wage is much like ours. What we call the minimum wages is rarely used for a 40 hour workweek. Recent events have driven many entry level jobs into part time status to avoid elements of Obamacare. Tipped positions declare much higher wages per hour, even though their hourly wage is well below minimum wage.

I recalled pulling an extra job about 10 years ago waiting tables earning on average $23/hour for 25 hours a week. Minimum tipped wage was $4.34/hour and the minimum wage was $7.36/hour.

I know high school students working fast food earning $12.00/hour in 2016. Not full time but started started at $9.00/hour. Minimum wage is $8.31/hour. We are running at 2.6% unemployment and this dropped from 4.2% in 2015.

When employers compete for workers, wages rise way faster than governments can force minimum wage increases.
Annachie wrote:Should point out.

That when we talk minimum wage we're talking full time, 36 to 40 hours a week, work.

Casual rates, for those working less than that (don't ask specifics) is usually the hourly rate from above plus about 15%.
It's been a while since I worked a job like that though so my memory might be off. But I think that's what some of my kids get.
That doesn't include apprentice wages for example, who get about half that in their first year.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

We have had this discussion before on these pages. A cultural difference is that our full time adult wage is set on what constitutes a minimal living standard, not what employers want to pay.
There are age relared lower levels, but all adults across the country have set minimum rates of $18.29 or $694.90 a week. Most industrial awards have higher minimum rates than this floor.
Not trying to preach or convert, but numerous assessments have shown that a national government run minimum medical system as seen in most developed countries is much more efficient than the US profit seeking system.
I pay extra for complete medical care in all things, but it is underpinned by our national system.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, Daryl. I may trust your pols to do socialized health better than ours. That doesn't mean socialized healthcare will ever be better at using national resources than private insurance or private healthcare providers. It only means American pols truly suck at delivering government services. So, I'm glad we are moving away from socialized healthcare.

Same with setting a minimum wage. It's nuts to raise mandatory wages, but leaving immigration unchecked. The higher the manditory wage, the more attractive it is for folks to enter illegally. Arguing for open borders and legal employment for foreign undocumented workers and also much higher manditory wages is insane.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:21 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I do agree with you on the need to control borders,
and acknowledge that it is harder to do if you have a land border with an undeveloped country.
Don't agree with your enthusiasm for using for profit companies to provide basic health care. I'm a shareholder in a number of companies, and expect them to maximise profits so they can pay me dividends. Nothing wrong with that usually, but not in basic health care. As I said there are numerous international studies showing that the developed countries national health care is more efficient by far than the for profit US model.

PeterZ wrote:Sorry, Daryl. I may trust your pols to do socialized health better than ours. That doesn't mean socialized healthcare will ever be better at using national resources than private insurance or private healthcare providers. It only means American pols truly suck at delivering government services. So, I'm glad we are moving away from socialized healthcare.

Same with setting a minimum wage. It's nuts to raise mandatory wages, but leaving immigration unchecked. The higher the manditory wage, the more attractive it is for folks to enter illegally. Arguing for open borders and legal employment for foreign undocumented workers and also much higher manditory wages is insane.

Return to Politics