Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Can we talk about Trump's Dictator/Strongman problem?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Can we talk about Trump's Dictator/Strongman problem?
Post by Daryl   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Joseph Stalin "a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"
Dilandu wrote:
gcomeau wrote:While we could have a debate about the difference between dictators targeting, terrorizing and murdering their own citizens en masse to maintain their reigns of terror and collateral casualties in wars fought between nations I think we can save that for another thread because you know damn well it's different and are simply engaging in bullshit whataboutism.

Exactly how many peoples killed Kim? At least an order of magnitude.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:39 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

JUST TODAY...

• Trump's lawyers argue in court Trump should be literally above the law, immune not only to all criminal prosecution but even immune to INVESTIGATION of whether he has committed a crime.
  • Matt Whitaker, Trump's chosen acting AG pawn before he got a permanent one confirmed, publicly argue presidential abuse of power is not a crime and should not be impeachable. (So, they're giving up basically on arguing Trump DIDN'T abuse his power and now moving on to the "yeah he did it so what?" phase, as predicted)
  • Trump's lackey supporters in Congress go full Brownshirts and storm a SCIF, with cell phones, in violation of the law, to try to disrupt the deposition being taken by a DOD official in the impeachment proceedings. (EDIT: Before anyone gets particularly idiotic and starts complaining about "secret proceedings" EVERY SINGLE deposition in the YEARS of Benghazi hearings, with the sole exception of Hillary Clinton's public testimony, was held in secret behind closed doors. This is fucking NORMAL PROCESS and the GOP are now actively obstructing justice to try to defend Trump.)
  • Trump gives a wildly divorced from reality press conference on Syria where he claims he has saved the Kurds while he is literally signing off on their ethnic cleansing. This at the same time the Kremlin is putting out a statement about how America betrayed the Kurds and can't be trusted by its allies. And THE KREMLIN is the one that is going to have all the credibility there. Putin's investment in Trump paying off every single day.

Now, imagine you're reading this series of events in a history book and consider what kind of a historical event you may be reading about. Hint, it's not the rise of a golden age of freedom and prosperity and democracy.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:14 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

And if anyone thinks I'm exagerating the legal position Trump's team is taking:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1187 ... 97857?s=20

Judge: What's your view on the 5th Avenue example? Local authorities couldn't invstigate? They couldn;t do anything about it?

Trump Lawyer: "I think once a president is removed from office any local authority... this is not a permanent immunity."

Judge: "Well I'm talking about while in office."

Trump Lawyer: "No"

Judge: "Nothing could be done, that's your position?"

Trump Lawyer: "That is correct"

The "Fifth avenue example" is Trump's claim he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose support.

His lawyers are now saying not only could he do it and not lose support, he could do it and be ABSOLUTELY IMMUNE from any criminal investigation of the act as long as he was president.

The president can COMMIT MURDER IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and NOBODY can touch him as long as he is president. That is LITERALLY what they are trying to get the courts to rule. That a president is an absolute above the law monarch while he is serving.

(Fortunately, I don't think Trump has managed to corrupt the courts enough to pull that off yet. But he is TRYING. And apparently his supporters don't give a crap.)
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:54 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/ ... 06817?s=19

You know who claims "absolute immunity to all stages of criminal process"?

Fucking dictators.

But please, keep pretending Trump isn't aspiring to be one even while he transparently argues in court that he is.
Post by smr   » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Please try to use logic with your opinions rather than desperate hearsay arguments. I know that is kind of hard for convergent thinker. Remember follow the evidence but that requires logical thinking in regards to Trump. I know Orange man is bad!

Annachie wrote:I've come to suspect that there is a big group that likes the idea of Trump being a dictator because somehow they see themselves ending up on top.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:20 pm

TFLYTSNBN

gcomeau wrote:And if anyone thinks I'm exagerating the legal position Trump's team is taking:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1187 ... 97857?s=20

Judge: What's your view on the 5th Avenue example? Local authorities couldn't invstigate? They couldn;t do anything about it?

Trump Lawyer: "I think once a president is removed from office any local authority... this is not a permanent immunity."

Judge: "Well I'm talking about while in office."

Trump Lawyer: "No"

Judge: "Nothing could be done, that's your position?"

Trump Lawyer: "That is correct"

The "Fifth avenue example" is Trump's claim he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose support.

His lawyers are now saying not only could he do it and not lose support, he could do it and be ABSOLUTELY IMMUNE from any criminal investigation of the act as long as he was president.

The president can COMMIT MURDER IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and NOBODY can touch him as long as he is president. That is LITERALLY what they are trying to get the courts to rule. That a president is an absolute above the law monarch while he is serving.

(Fortunately, I don't think Trump has managed to corrupt the courts enough to pull that off yet. But he is TRYING. And apparently his supporters don't give a crap.)

Key phrases: "local authorities, " "while in office."

Now consider the context of Congress having the power to Impeach then Convict the President. Trump's attorney very explicitly acknowledges that the President could be prosecuted by local authorities once he is no longer in office. He would be subject to prosecution once is his term expires as well.

The attorney is offering an extreme example to illustrate that the POTUS is not subject to nuisance prosecutions by local authorities. The current efforts to subpoena Trump's tax returns when there is no actual crime that the tax information would be relevant to is a classic example.

Keep in mind that allegedly paying off Stormy Daniels to not reveal a consensual sexual relationship would not constitute a crime unless may be Trump claimed it as a business expense. There is no reasonable suspicion much less probable cause to justify a warrant.

President Trump should resolve the case by shooting the prosecutor on 5th Avenue.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:40 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I won't be surprised if his mate Vlad has a dacha waiting for him.
Post by The E   » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:07 am

The E
Admiral

Thanks for the confirmation that you're perfectly fine with corruption and criminality in the White House as long as it's your guy doing it.

Return to Politics