Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Korean Missile Crisis - Déjà Vu?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Korean Missile Crisis - Déjà Vu?
Post by cthia   » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Korean Missile Crisis - Déjà vu, is it true?

This puts me in the same mood as did the Cuban Missile crisis right down to the parallel of the sailing of the U.S.S. Carl Vinson (supposedly) to the Korean peninsula. The U.S. government and its citizens do not like to have missiles hanging over our heads. I remember the Cold War between the U.S. and Russia. As a small child in grade school then, I didn't care for the drills of tuck and hide under my small desk near all of the glass windows while being lied to that I would be safe in the event of nuclear war -- especially since I was living in a military town at the time that was certainly high on the Soviet Union's targeting list and would inevitably place me at ground zero.

The Cold War may have left some delayed and/or lingering psychological scarring on many people of that time.

As a Super Power, where does this leave the U.S. regarding North Korea and its missile program? What are the U.S. government's responsibilities to itself and its people regarding this matter? On the one hand, as a Super Power is it advisable to allow another country, an enemy, to develop nuclear weapons that can target the U.S.? Would denying North Korea of that endeavor infringe upon their right to self-defense -- as they are claiming is the impetus behind the development? And what of the U.S.'s responsibility to protect itself from someone who would do us harm?

What are the U.S.'s options? How far should the Trump administration be willing to go? Should we attack? Should North Korea be allowed to complete its missile program? Should the U.S. head off North Korea's fait accomplis?

These are the big calls for someone with big balls. Balls that are being placed in a vise. A call that could bite us in the ass now, or cut off our manhood later.

Is North Korea's threat just saber rattling?

How do we protect our own allies who are at risk, the South Koreans? The THAAD missile system?

All in light of President Trump's claims regarding North Korea's chances of succeeding with its missile goals "Not on my watch!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Korean Missile Crisis - Déjà Vu?
Post by cthia   » Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I decided to cross reference my thought...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/us/p ... .html?_r=0

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Mon May 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

One of my kids asked about NK last night during dinner.

I said something like "Well first they have to get the bloody things to launch"

It's saber rattling.
But at the moment we're kind of trusting the Chinese to keep it to saber rattling.

I don't think President Trump has the balls for this.
Which is usually OK actually.
But I also think none of his advisors do either, which is seriously not OK.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Should add.

Neither does our PM, but I do feel better about some of the people he should be listening to. Especially the Govenor General.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Thu May 04, 2017 2:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:One of my kids asked about NK last night during dinner.

I said something like "Well first they have to get the bloody things to launch"

It's saber rattling.
But at the moment we're kind of trusting the Chinese to keep it to saber rattling.

I don't think President Trump has the balls for this.
Which is usually OK actually.
But I also think none of his advisors do either, which is seriously not OK.

It certainly seems to be just saber rattling about their ability to sink the Carl Vinson.

Post by Annachie   » Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Then again there's a story from the late 1980's about a US carrier being mission killed in a war games exercise by tanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics