Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by The E   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:51 pm

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:Trump is getting most of his accomplishments through executive actions and judicial appointments.

Just how delusional are you...?

Tax cuts and Obamacare were not big themes of his on the campaign trail.

Yes, there was indeed little room on the campaign trail between telling people how bad Hillary Clinton is, how bad Obama was, how great America should be, how evil immigrants are, and just how much pussy he can grab.

Still, cutting taxes and "fixing" (which I guess means "making worse"?) were topics he promised he'd be working on.

Both, however, have been major talking points of Congressional Republicans for years. Trumps primary statements have been to the effect of I'm here, I'm Republican and I'll sign anything you send me on these issues so now you have your chance to follow through on the promises.

Also "I'm here, I'm completely delusional, I lie to everyone about everything regardless of how easily I can be disproven, I'm as immoral as shit, and you're still going to elect me because I'm a white male who will make all the bad black people and women go away".

I wonder why you don't remember these things, biochem. Sure, most of those things were subtext instead of text, but it was really hard to ignore.

So far Congress's ability to do anything has been an epic fail. Thus Republican voters blame congress not Trump.

By Trump voters do you mean the less than 40% of the american public that still support him or thinks he's doing a good job?

Trump hasn't tried to get any of his own campaign themes legislated.

Well, yes, he did. Of course, since he's an inept bully who has no idea how your system of government works, he did it badly; but he did a lot of things to roll back Obama-era or earlier programs, tried to ban muslims from entering the country....

Immigration - enforcing existing laws
Which law is it again that prohibits immigration based on religious affiliation? Remind me.
The wall - building samples

And nothing else will ever come of it, if Trump's record is any indication; Public outcry will stop it dead in its tracks assuming there will ever be any funding to make it happen on a larger scale.

Drain the swamp - series of executive orders

And to what effect?
Also, wasn't the whole swamp thing about getting competent people into the right positions? How's that working out?

Protect from terrorism - executive order fights in court

How does violating the constitution keep the terrorists away?
Defeat ISIS - delegate to Mad Dog

ISIS isn't looking very defeated, tbh.
Trade - seems to be getting some concessions by threatening trade wars etc

"Seems to be getting"? Are you sure about this?
Save USA jobs - taking credit for the small but real improvement in the us economy (some of it directly due to him via the regulatory executive actions most is just the usual i.e. the current president always gets credit for the economy for good or ill), little directly on jobs but he seems to be getting some credit for trying

He's taking a lot of credit for things set in motion during the Obama era, yes. Doesn't mean he deserves any of it.

America First - mostly psychological via speeches etc

Note no attempted legislation on HIS priorities

Yes, so far, he has not tried to propose legislation allowing him to turn the US into a fascist dictatorship, or to have the white house gold-plated, or to turn golfing into an activity that helps the US.
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:21 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:Trump is getting most of his accomplishments through executive actions and judicial appointments.

Oh boy... "accomplishments"... :roll:

Tax cuts and Obamacare were not big themes of his on the campaign trail. Both, however, have been major talking points of Congressional Republicans for years. Trumps primary statements have been to the effect of I'm here, I'm Republican and I'll sign anything you send me on these issues so now you have your chance to follow through on the promises.

Yeah, the problem being the entire GOP were absolutely full of shit on Obamacare and they have no better alternative except medicare for all which they've made toxic to their base by lying about that to them too. And they've spent the last 8 years telling everyone the debt will destroy America and they can't come up with a tax cut bill that doesn't explode the debt (because....duh)

So really Trump might as well just be telling them "please go ahead and demonstrate to the country that you have been 100% completely full of crap for the entire Obama presidency and didn't believe a word you were saying".

So far Congress's ability to do anything has been an epic fail. Thus Republican voters blame congress not Trump.

His approval ratings suggest they blame him a little.

Trump hasn't tried to get any of his own campaign themes legislated.

Immigration - enforcing existing laws

Which was always being done, GOP fake hysteria to the contrary.

The wall - building samples

I believe the promise was for a MEXICO PAID FOR wall. Never happen.

Drain the swamp - series of executive orders

Executive orders appointing the swampiest of swamp monsters to positions all through the government.

Protect from terrorism - executive order fights in court

Ummm.... WHAT executive order fights in court are "protecting from terrorism"?

Defeat ISIS - delegate to Mad Dog

So far this appears to consist of doing pretty much the exact same thing they were always doing all along, except with extra civilian casualties.

Trade - seems to be getting some concessions by threatening trade wars etc

Oh? Point to them.

Save USA jobs - taking credit for the small but real improvement in the us economy (some of it directly due to him via the regulatory executive actions most is just the usual i.e. the current president always gets credit for the economy for good or ill), little directly on jobs but he seems to be getting some credit for trying
America First - mostly psychological via speeches etc

Absolute and utter bull. The economy is adding jobs at or slightly below the pace it has been adding them almost the *entire* Obama presidency. The stock market has continued basically the same trajectory it had been on the entire Obama presidency. Trump has done crap all to change economic policy. He is coasting on the economy Obama handed him and just taking credit for THAT. He's only going to be able to do that for so long before all his fumbling breaks something critical though.

Note no attempted legislation on HIS priorities

Because. He. Doesn't. Understand. How.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:01 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

It would seem that Trump is something of an Anglophile.
Shame that it was one of our less-than-respectable far-right groups that he chose to re-tweet on his account.

...Dammit, Trump!
Of all the people you had to re-tweet, Jayda Fransen?
Deputy leader of "Britain First"? A group that seeks to inspire a "religious war"?
What were you thinking?
Were you thinking?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:It would seem that Trump is something of an Anglophile.
Shame that it was one of our less-than-respectable far-right groups that he chose to re-tweet on his account.

...Dammit, Trump!
Of all the people you had to re-tweet, Jayda Fransen?
Deputy leader of "Britain First"? A group that seeks to inspire a "religious war"?
What were you thinking?
Were you thinking?

He's spinning out of control on twitter even for him today...

My best guess? Either someone has explained the situation with Flynn to him and he's on a raging tantrum... or someone has finally told him all the people lyng to him about how the Mueller investigation would wrap up by year's end to keep him mollified like the giant toddler who can't cope with reality he is finally had to come clean and tell him it wouldn't and he's on a raging tantrum.

(Or.... someone didn't call him "President" at breakfast and he's on a raging tantrum, who the hell knows...)
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Aaaand, then the cherry on top of the feces sunday that is the President of the United states spreading anti-mulsim propaganda from a UK far right ultra nationalist group.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... fake-news/
Post by Daryl   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Assuming civilisation survives this, it will be interesting to read what historians write about this period. Will it be spun as a hiatus in mankind's progress, or as an ongoing tragedy?
gcomeau wrote:Aaaand, then the cherry on top of the feces sunday that is the President of the United states spreading anti-mulsim propaganda from a UK far right ultra nationalist group.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... fake-news/
Post by pappilon   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

[quote="Daryl"]Assuming civilisation survives this, it will be interesting to read what historians write about this period. Will it be spun as a hiatus in mankind's progress, or as an ongoing tragedy?[\quote]

The "ongoing tragedy" is the GOP's constant and persistent effort to return the US to 1895.the hiatus is the takeover of the entire federal government.

The two are not mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Ok, who has what days in the "when will Tillerson be officially sacked" pool?

Also, get your bingo cards ready:

Post by gcomeau   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Well Trump's boy Bannon managed to drive the Alabama GOP into nominating what may have been the only Republican in the United States capable of losing a Senate race in Alabama to a Democratic challenger...
Post by dscott8   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 am

dscott8
Commodore

gcomeau wrote:Well Trump's boy Bannon managed to drive the Alabama GOP into nominating what may have been the only Republican in the United States capable of losing a Senate race in Alabama to a Democratic challenger...

There are a lot more Republicans capable of losing elections. 2018 mid terms are coming, and GOP will lose control of the Senate. In 2020, they'll lose the White House.

Return to Politics