Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by The E   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 am

The E
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Paderborn, Germany

biochem wrote:Obama issued a waiver to 5 banks. Trump renewed the waiver for the same 5 banks. He just did the same exact thing that Obama did but for slightly longer so he doesn't have to waste time renewing it so frequently. He didn't do anything special, this is just Washington DC business as usual. Frankly he probably didn't care much about it. Likely someone from commerce walked it over and said sign here to renew.


Tell us more about how Trump is draining the Swamp. Go on.
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am

gcomeau
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/trump-administration-waives-punishment-convicted-banks-including-deutsche-which?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

I think this makes something like item 586 of the Trump admin that would have been the biggest scandal of the Obama presidency if he had done it.


Obama issued a waiver to 5 banks. Trump renewed the waiver for the same 5 banks. He just did the same exact thing that Obama did but for slightly longer so he doesn't have to waste time renewing it so frequently. He didn't do anything special, this is just Washington DC business as usual. Frankly he probably didn't care much about it. Likely someone from commerce walked it over and said sign here to renew.


Obama didn't get in debt 130 million dollars to any of those banks then suddenly increase their waiver deadline.

So no, it is not business as usual.
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Annachie
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1781
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

The Obama administration issued a 1 year waiver while they negotiated the fines to be paid.

The Trump administration issued much longer waivers for reasons unknown

But one does have to wonder givern that the President owes one of them $130 million or so, and that Mueller is trying to get recorfs from them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by biochem   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 pm
Location: USA

The E wrote:
biochem wrote:Obama issued a waiver to 5 banks. Trump renewed the waiver for the same 5 banks. He just did the same exact thing that Obama did but for slightly longer so he doesn't have to waste time renewing it so frequently. He didn't do anything special, this is just Washington DC business as usual. Frankly he probably didn't care much about it. Likely someone from commerce walked it over and said sign here to renew.


Tell us more about how Trump is draining the Swamp. Go on.


I'm old enough that I've seen president after president promise to drain the swamp. It never seems to work. Some of them tried and failed. Some never tried. And the unelected beaurocrats populating the swamp just keep getting more and more power and the problem of excessive regulations keeps getting worse.

So I'm cynical re drain the swamp promises. On Election Day I expected that during his term in office that Trump would try and fail and that at best he would slow the expansion. I've been pleasantly surprised. He has rolled the swamp back a little (primarily through the agency of his cabinet secretaries). Not much but even a little is a big improvement over past presidents. But I don't expect him to be perfect re the swamp. He'll do swamp like things from time to time, hopefully they'll be like this i.e. things which are roughly the same as his predessesor i.e. not a significant increase in swamp.
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 am

gcomeau
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

You have to be kidding about thinking he has done *any* level of "swamp draining"...


In other news, who could have guessed picking the moron who went on national television and made up lies about how terrible things were in the Netherlands as the Ambassador to the Netherlands wouldn't go well?

Oh right, anybody. Anybody could have guessed that.


https://theintercept.com/2018/01/10/dut ... -go-zones/
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 am

Annachie
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1781
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Oh my fucking god.

I'm suprised that the King actually accepted him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 am

Annachie
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1781
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Anyway.

Between the President and Don jnr they managed to set up a situation where Tom Arnold won the internet for the week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

gcomeau
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

In the latest round of the GOP attempting to take the right to vote away from as many people as they possibly can, they are now arguing a case in front of the Supreme Court trying to get them to let Ohio purge anyone who didn't vote in prior elections from being eligible to vote in current elections. (The plaintiff is a vet who was purged from the rolls because he was DEPLOYED during the elections he didn't vote in, then he got back and wasn't allowed to vote.)

Since the 90s it has been the federal government's position that the law was absolutely clear on this. Not voting in an election does not remove your right to vote in the election after it and legal voters may NOT be purged from the rolls just because they don't cast a vote.

Trump's admin just flipped their position. Because of course they did.

With a conservative leaning Supreme Court they may just get away with it.
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2082
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

gcomeau wrote:In the latest round of the GOP attempting to take the right to vote away from as many people as they possibly can, they are now arguing a case in front of the Supreme Court trying to get them to let Ohio purge anyone who didn't vote in prior elections from being eligible to vote in current elections.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that simply coming of age would be no guarantee of getting the vote since you would not have voted prior (being not old enough to vote and all...)?
How long before the only voters in Ohio are old folks because they think none of the youngsters deserve to be allowed on the rolls?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Top
Re: What has Pres. Trump done wrong so far.
Post by Starsaber   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Starsaber
Commander

Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am

Michael Everett wrote:
gcomeau wrote:In the latest round of the GOP attempting to take the right to vote away from as many people as they possibly can, they are now arguing a case in front of the Supreme Court trying to get them to let Ohio purge anyone who didn't vote in prior elections from being eligible to vote in current elections.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that simply coming of age would be no guarantee of getting the vote since you would not have voted prior (being not old enough to vote and all...)?
How long before the only voters in Ohio are old folks because they think none of the youngsters deserve to be allowed on the rolls?


I think it's more that they have to register to vote again and might not know until they go to their polling place (at which point it would be too late to register for the election they went there for)
Top

Return to Politics