Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

What has Trump done right so far?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Debt vs. Deficit
Post by CRC   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

gcomeau wrote:
CRC wrote:I don't understand.

Why is it a conservative sleight of hand to talk about debt vs. deficit?

Sigh...

Ok, forget waiting for agreement on the analogy. To reiterate:

Debt = Water level in the boat.
Deficit = How fast water is coming into the boat

Captain Obama spends his entire time as captain patching the giant gaping wound in the hull while also dealing with all the other damage. The flow of water slows from a rushing torrent to a strong flow to a still concerning rapid leak... but it's getting slower and slower while everything else gets gradually stabilized as well. But OF COURSE while this is being done the water level is rising really really fast. Because there's no other way for things to go. It's up around people's chins by the time it's time for Obama to hand off the job to Captain Trump...

Post by CRC   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:10 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

gcomeau wrote:
CRC wrote:I don't understand.

Why is it a conservative sleight of hand to talk about debt vs. deficit?

Sigh...

Ok, forget waiting for agreement on the analogy. To reiterate:

Captain Obama spends his entire time as captain patching the giant gaping wound in the hull while also dealing with all the other damage. The flow of water slows from a rushing torrent to a strong flow to a still concerning rapid leak... but it's getting slower and slower while everything else gets gradually stabilized as well. But OF COURSE while this is being done the water level is rising really really fast. Because there's no other way for things to go. It's up around people's chins by the time it's time for Obama to hand off the job to Captain Trump...

Got to figure out this forum one of these days.

So now I understand completely. You're hard core democrat/progressive. Just had to dial you in to understand your perspective. Thanks for the enlightening description.

I come at this from a far more objective perspective. Your analogy is somewhat off a bit. its not up around people's chins, its over their head - re GDP. And everyone can borrow their way into temporary prosperity, its just a matter of time before it catches up with them.

But to add a few historical items to your treatise, you did forget to mention "the Peace Dividend"...that Clinton enjoyed - due to both Reagan and Bush Sr. Then there was the little 9/11 thing when it comes to Bush the Jr. And yes, there was the "Great Recession" that Obama inherited - just to be fair.

So let's talk about your boat analogy and expand to real world. The issue is really, you don't know how much water the boat will hold before it sinks, nor do you know how unstable the boat is and how small a swell could cause it to capsize and sink, nor do you know the condition of the pumps bailing out the water.

What you do know is that water will continue to come in and there is nothing in the near or far future that will stop it.

(For those of you desiring to follow a rationale discussion, the issue is we are in uncharted territory. All of the world's industrialized countries are in debt. Even the EU (90% to GDP), China (44% to GDP) and the US (103%+ to GDP). And no one knows what will happen. So far nothing "bad" has happened, unless you are in Greece...Italy...Portugal...But the concern is legitimate.)

So in other words, we just let water keep coming in with all these unknowns and hope that it doesn't go wonky until after we're dead.

What a way to run a railroad!
Re: What has Trump done right so far?
Post by noblehunter   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:21 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/27/donald-trump/did-us-spend-6-trillion-middle-east-wars/

$1.6 trillion on operations and $3.6 trillion including anti-terror activities from 2001 through 2016. I'll grant 500 billion or so more spent during Obama's watch. That still doesn't cover the difference in the increase of the debt. Obama had to have incurred more debt to fund non-war spending.

That non-war spending that was mostly keeping the world economy from seizing up and going to pieces.

American power is based on more than just the ability to blow things up.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Annachie wrote:Peter, the question was about deficit. You did a bait and switch to talk about debt.

They are different, though related of course.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I spoke to the net change in debt, not the total debt. That is the aggregate measure of an administration's cumulative annual deficits.

I am glad you realize they are different.

And we were talking about the balancing of budgets, which is about a net change in *deficit*.

Then you switched it. That was the sleight of hand.

I spoke to the increase in the debt. Using you analogy, the volume of additional water in the boat. No slight of hand here. The deficits contribute to the change in debt. Bigger deficits lead to bigger debt over 2 presidential terms. We really are talking about the same thing.

The analogy spelled out in extremely explicitly clear terms how they are absolutely not talking about the same thing. They can be talking about essentially the same thing under certain conditions (Like Carter's unchanging deficit levels). Or they can be talking about very very very very different things like when you're looking at Clinton or Obama Or Reagan or Bush Jr. and HUGELY variable deficit levels. Under those conditions insisting at looking at the total change in debt is nothing but a way of glossing over or outright ignoring the actual work being done (either negatively or positively) to impact the rate of change of that debt load.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

CRC wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Ok, forget waiting for agreement on the analogy. To reiterate:

Got to figure out this forum one of these days.

So now I understand completely. You're hard core democrat/progressive. Just had to dial you in to understand your perspective. Thanks for the enlightening description.

Progressive yes... Democrat no...

And I'm unsure how basic descriptions of numbers, which is all that analogy did, treat with objective facts and figures... has anything to do with that?

I come at this from a far more objective perspective.

More objective than the actual numbers in the budgets? That analogy perfectly reflected the actual debt and deficit load impacts over time.

Your analogy is somewhat off a bit. its not up around people's chins, its over their head - re GDP.

It's an analogy, choose any scale you like. It doesn't change the underlying reality of what happened under each president.

If you really insist on saying today's levels are over the head instead of under the chin, whatever. Then scale all the levels in the previous presidents terms appropriately by raising the water levels in the boat about 10% too. What difference does that make to the point being illustrated? Absolutely none.

But to add a few historical items to your treatise, you did forget to mention "the Peace Dividend"...that Clinton enjoyed - due to both Reagan and Bush Sr.

Ummm, bull? Reagan and Bush Sr. didn't cause peace in the 90s.

Then there was the little 9/11 thing when it comes to Bush the Jr.

In case you missed it at the time, Bush wiped out the surplus with a giant tax cut giveaway instead of using it to pay down the debt *before* 9/11.

And the impact of 9/11 on the national economy was a temporary blip. The underlying structural soundness of the national economy wasn't significantly impacted by the destruction of two building in New York and the damage to the Pentagon, or by the death of a few thousand people. In terms of human tragedy 9/11 was massive. In terms of damage to the economic soundness of a nation of over 300 million people with a GDP of almost 13 Trillion dollars it was insignificant. It was poking an elephant with a sewing needle.

It was a temporary disruption only. There were short term impacts on tourism and such, but compared to the near total collapse of the entire global economy that was occurring in 2008/2009... 9/11 was a *blip* in economic terms. No, it took Bush's *reaction* to 9/11 for it to do real damage on a national rather than just a local scale.

Nobody made Bush start *two* wars... one of them (and the more expensive one by a long way) having absolutely squat to do with 9/11.... after 9/11. That's on him.

And yes, there was the "Great Recession" that Obama inherited - just to be fair.

Yes... the worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression dumped on his lap just as he entered office... "just to be fair."

So let's talk about your boat analogy and expand to real world. The issue is really, you don't know how much water the boat will hold before it sinks, nor do you know how unstable the boat is and how small a swell could cause it to capsize and sink, nor do you know the condition of the pumps bailing out the water.

All somewhat true... none of which however change the point being made. Under some Captains the boat got patched and the holes got smaller and the rate at which water was pouring in reduced.

Under other Captains giant freaking holes got poked in it and water poured in faster and faster.

If you're so very worried about the water levels, which Captains do you want in charge? The ones making the holes smaller, or the ones making the holes bigger? It's a simple enough question.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:38 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Look at his heroic efforts. They netted more expenditures than revenues. Perhaps better to say netted more outflow than inflow. now had there been a budget passed we coul isolate what the administration tried to do to improve the situation. Of course, no budget was passed in his administration. Only continuing resolutions of Bush's last budget.

So your argument falls flat. Looking at the aggregate difference between outflow and inflow to the federal government is just fine to evaluate the success of the fiscal plan of the administration.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Look at his heroic efforts. They netted more expenditures than revenues.

I'm going to refer you to the bolded question at the end of my last post to CRC Peter.

What's *your* answer to that question?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:00 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Look at his heroic efforts. They netted more expenditures than revenues.

I'm going to refer you to the bolded question at the end of my last post to CRC Peter.

Lessee now, implement a plan to stifle the economy and spend more vs a plan to stimulate the economy and spend more. Tough call but I choose Trump and stimulate the economy. I would prefer to reduce spending and stimulate the economy but that option appears unavailable. One would hope that Congress would limit spending severely, but not holding my breath.

This is where anti-Trump republicans can show some spine. Not likely if it means passing on pork projects! Recall my pending disappointment? It's arrived. Sigh
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:06 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
gcomeau wrote:I'm going to refer you to the bolded question at the end of my last post to CRC Peter.

Lessee now, implement a plan to stifle the economy and spend more vs a plan to stimulate the economy and spend more. Tough call but I choose Trump and stimulate the economy.

Please provide the measurement criteria by which you are making either "stifling" or "stimulating" claims.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:44 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-09-06/how-obama-s-economic-record-stacks-up

Using Bloomberg here so not to rely on overly conservative judgements. 4th worst GDP growth rate in his tenure. At 2.1% it's below the post war average of 2.9%. That stifling. Had he generated average growth, he would have had a smaller increase in debt or aggregate annual deficits if you prefer. The stock market was impressive under Obama but given the GDP growth of his tenure, one can easily argue that monetization of the debt drove stock prices through expansion of the money supply.

Return to Politics