Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

What has Trump done right so far?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Trump done right so far?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Peter, the one thing that that list really shows is the cost of military actions in Afghanastan etc.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Totally disagree, Obama increased the debt at a faster clip than Bush and the war was winding down. That argues more than just war costs increased. Further it argues the war generated less debt than the non-war debt Obama tacked on. After all His 2 terms matched the accumulated debt Bush generated while fighting a hot war and topped that during a time the war was slowing down.

Bush added $5.84tr fighting a hot war. On top of Bush's total Obama added $7.92tr more to our debt during a time the war slowed down. Bush's war cost were already spent and Obama's totals do not reflect the hot war period expenses.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Is a war "Slowing down" an alt term for expanding into new uncharted areas?

To be fair to Ronnie Raygun, he did sucker an enemy ship of state into a "who can kick the biggest hole without sinking" competition and won.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

It means not expending massive amounts of munitions attacking hostile forces.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I spoke to the increase in the debt. Using you analogy, the volume of additional water in the boat. No slight of hand here. The deficits contribute to the change in debt. Bigger deficits lead to bigger debt over 2 presidential terms. We really are talking about the same thing.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Peter, the question was about deficit. You did a bait and switch to talk about debt.

They are different, though related of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:It means not expending massive amounts of munitions attacking hostile forces.

But the right wing go on about how Obama has dropped more bombs than Bush ever did.
That the munitions expenditure is up.
Less boots on the ground, but 3 times as many drone strikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/27/donald-trump/did-us-spend-6-trillion-middle-east-wars/

$1.6 trillion on operations and $3.6 trillion including anti-terror activities from 2001 through 2016. I'll grant 500 billion or so more spent during Obama's watch. That still doesn't cover the difference in the increase of the debt. Obama had to have incurred more debt to fund non-war spending.
Post by Daryl   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:26 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

You could always do what our government did a few years back, by privatising assets. Thus we ended up with the government having a surplus, and reducing the government's debt. When you looked deeper however, the one off sugar hit meant that the government no longer received the income from those assets, and the actual country's overall debt stayed the same, just more in private hands, as we borrowed to buy those assets.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:33 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:You could always do what our government did a few years back, by privatising assets. Thus we ended up with the government having a surplus, and reducing the government's debt. When you looked deeper however, the one off sugar hit meant that the government no longer received the income from those assets, and the actual country's overall debt stayed the same, just more in private hands, as we borrowed to buy those assets.

The Feds do own quite a bit of land out here in the Western states. Selling some of that land would help. Not talking about national parks, just land owned by the Feds. Selling federal land might even increase economic growth. Of course, it will remove the land from public use.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:37 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Peter, the question was about deficit. You did a bait and switch to talk about debt.

They are different, though related of course.

I spoke to the net change in debt, not the total debt. That is the aggregate measure of an administration's cumulative annual deficits.

I am glad you realize they are different.

Return to Politics