Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

What has Trump done right so far?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: What has Trump done right so far?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

If public sector employment and higher taxation leads to prosperity, the USSR would have spent the US into oblivion? That didn't happen. The USSR is part of the ash-heap of history.

Kennedy and Reagan both saw revenue increases by cutting the marginal income tax rates.

FDR invested in true economic activity generating projects. No Solyndras in the New Deal. Roads, energy generating dams and other investments that facilitates more activity beyond the building of the project.

Pardon me, but you can believe what you want. Your data does not show what you think it does. So we return to POVs telling the tale.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Not sure where this is coming from, Daryl. I commented on Annachie's projection of Trump wanting to deny social justice to people but expect it when he retires. That sounds like projection to me. Much like his constant projection of all sorts of nasty motives onto people he disagrees with politically.

Comment on our politics to your hearts content. That is not why I commented.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:33 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

No, sorry Peter. From what you said YOU expect it when YOU retire.

Don't know about JFK, but when Raygun cut taxes they were way too high. So of course he had improovement.

As for civil servants under the soviet union, I hope you have a source somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Annachie wrote:As for civil servants under the soviet union, I hope you have a source somewhere.

Legally, since Soviet Russia was the only employer, all the people who worked in it were employees of the state and such fine distinctions as "Civil Servant" were meaningless.
So, from a certain point of view, every working person in Russia was working directly for the government and was a Civil Servant.
No wonder the country collapsed financially. Everyone knows Civil Servants can't cope with sticking to a budget...
:twisted:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:No, sorry Peter. From what you said YOU expect it when YOU retire.

Don't know about JFK, but when Raygun cut taxes they were way too high. So of course he had improovement.

As for civil servants under the soviet union, I hope you have a source somewhere.

Do be clearer. Not sure where you pulled that bit of projection. And for the last point Michael sums it nicely.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:20 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:If public sector employment and higher taxation leads to prosperity, the USSR would have spent the US into oblivion? That didn't happen. The USSR is part of the ash-heap of history.

*Employment* leads to prosperity. Who is writing the paycheck is irrelevant. Do you seriously think that the money that goes into a worker's bank account when he cashes his paycheck takes on different properties based on who issued said check?

The USSR collapsed for a whole host of reasons.

Kennedy and Reagan both saw revenue increases by cutting the marginal income tax rates.

No, they did not. That is a popular conservative fantasy.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... le2013.pdf

Reagan's first big tax cut was the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981. That's line item 9 in Table 2. See those very large negative numbers next to it? That was the revenue impact.

Then in 1982 when the writing was on the wall and there was a giant "oh shit, we're going seriously in the red" they passed the "Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act" in 1982. Which closed a bunch of tax loopholes and raised tax levels back up again, though not all the way. Recovering *some * of the lost revenue.

(Then they raised them again.... and again.... and again... just not enough to cancel out the deficit they had run up... )

Same goes for Kennedy's Revenue Act of 1964 when he cut taxes (up in table 1). Revenue loss.

This fairy tale mythology of conservatives that tax cuts increase revenue has *never* worked. And yet Republicans insist on basing all their economic policy on proven nonsense anyway because they know that "tax cuts" is the magic word for their base. Everyone in Conservative land loves to hear it, so they keep saying it then blaming the outcome on everyone but themselves.

FDR invested in true economic activity generating projects. No Solyndras in the New Deal.

FFS, Solyndra was a fractional percentage of the Stimulus. Please obsess about it more while ignoring the overall reality. :roll:

Roads, energy generating dams and other investments that facilitates more activity beyond the building of the project.

Yeah those would have been GREAT. Did you forget the part from one post ago where we covered who insisted a bunch of the stimulus go to tax breaks instead and kept filibustering the stimulus bill?
Post by Annachie   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Do be clearer. Not sure where you pulled that bit of projection. And for the last point Michael sums it nicely.

Sorry Peter, it was a CRC comment.

(Damn phone posting)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'm starting to think that one of the things Pres. Trump does best is distraction/redirection.
An essential skill for any politician, but Pres. Trump might be one of the best.

The crazy twitter posts, the popping out in front of a Hollary Clinton portrait to suprise a tour, all that stuff.
Even the media assaults.

The 'crazy' is dominating the discussions and distracting from the scandals and problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Annachie wrote:I'm starting to think that one of the things Pres. Trump does best is distraction/redirection.

America elected Zaphod Beeblebrox?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
Annachie wrote:I'm starting to think that one of the things Pres. Trump does best is distraction/redirection.

America elected Zaphod Beeblebrox?

That or President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

I can't make up my mind.

http://flavorwire.com/537887/who-said-i ... nt-camacho

(If you can get 90% on that without googling, hats off to you. I only got 8/10.)

Return to Politics