Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

The Trump Administration's War With Reality

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: The Trump Administration's War With Reality
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:Just remember the old rules at Justice and FBI have been reinstated, the rules that were changed by the Obama Administration.

Annachie wrote:True.

Fox are the ones who argued that there's no FCC rules about telling the truth.

And what rules would those be exactly?

Cite them for us.
Post by Fireflair   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Broadcasters may not intentionally distort the news. The FCC states that "rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest." However the FCC may act only when it has received documented evidence, such as testimony from persons who have direct personal knowledge of an intentional falsification of the news. Without such documented evidence, the FCC generally cannot intervene. It's too much hearsay and the burden of proof is upon the accuser. A very difficult position to succeed in.

Also slated against an accuser is that the media only needs to slip in a few words such as 'believed', 'suggested', 'possibly', 'alleged', etc. Words that can provide a hint of doubt about the accuracy of what the reporter is saying. As an additional bar against the FCC dealing with news agencies is the question of the reporter being part of a 'news' agency or an entertainment forum of some sort. With so much of TV, radio and print being as much for entertainment as information this could be an understandably gray area. Once you're an entertainment outlet instead of a news outlet than you can say pretty much whatever you want.

68 F.C.C.2d 381, 383
Post by Annachie   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually FireFlair, Faux news argued, successfully, that they weren't rules just guidlines.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by smr   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Post by Daryl   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Putting up graphics or comics doesn't really progress the discussion.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:06 am

gcomeau
Admiral

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1040224617758158848

BREAKING: Trump states without evidence that Puerto Rico hurricane death count is plot by Democrats to make him look bad.

Yes, this is real. He actually did it.
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Where is that tweet or was that just a headline? Please post the tweet and what he was responding to!

gcomeau wrote:https://twitter.com/AP/status/1040224617758158848

BREAKING: Trump states without evidence that Puerto Rico hurricane death count is plot by Democrats to make him look bad.

Yes, this is real. He actually did it.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

It's currently the top tweet when you search Associated Press.

I'll be nice and assume it's a poorly worded response to FEMA criticisms around Puerto Rico and the death toll there.

But it does highlight the President's base mentality.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Sure looks like a Press headline rather than a tweet by Donald Trump.

Annachie wrote:It's currently the top tweet when you search Associated Press.

I'll be nice and assume it's a poorly worded response to FEMA criticisms around Puerto Rico and the death toll there.

But it does highlight the President's base mentality.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

On Twitter, Donald Trump wrote:3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000...

.....This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!

1) Most deaths in any disaster come after the point of catastrophe, usually due to injuries, infections and the breakdown of systems such as electricity, sewers etc. here may have been a relatively few death directly from the hurricanes, but the secondary effects are at least as lethal.

2) Billions of dollars? Millions I would understand, but Billions... even the smaller American Billion would a lot of money when in multiples. Anyone know how much money was actually set aside for Puerto Rico by The Trump?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics