Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

The Trump Administration's War With Reality

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: The Trump Administration's War With Reality
Post by smr   » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

I know we will just have a special train at the border crossings to Canada to deliver 1,000,000 more illegals to Canada. Trudeau wishes to encourage immigration to Canada. :D
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The FART act.

Stupidity or distracton?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Joat42   » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Joat42
Admiral

smr wrote:I know we will just have a special train at the border crossings to Canada to deliver 1,000,000 more illegals to Canada. Trudeau wishes to encourage immigration to Canada. :D

Have you ever wondered what would happen to the US economy if you deported all the illegal immigrants?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Fireflair   » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I read an article about doing just that a year or so ago. Based on the numbers cited, illegal immigrants make up about 10 million people in the work force, accounting for about $460 billion per year for the states in earnings. Primary states effected are California, Texas, New York, Arizona, Florida and New Jersey. Though other states would take their fair share of the hit.

But if you look at the political demographics involved in the major players you're going to see that deportation will never happen. California and New York alone would be sufficient to keep any high level effort to deport them from happening.

Additionally, one study found that removing all 11.2 million undocumented immigrants, both forcibly and through a self-deportation policy, would take about 20 years and cost the government between $400 billion and $600 billion. (Feel free to add your own bureaucratic growth to that number) The impact on the economy would be even larger, according to the study: Real GDP would drop by nearly $1.6 trillion over the time period of the round up and the policy would shave 5.7 percent off of possible economic growth during the same.

The study didn't consider the annual cost of hiring some 20,000+ ICE agents, training, arming and paying them. (Possible as much as a billion or more per year) Nor did it consider the legal difficulties. As the US is not a police state and the Supreme Court has already ruled that everyone (legal citizen or not) is entitled to due process once within the country, the illegal immigrants will still have to be processed, go through the courts, etc. This would mean a huge number of trials, holding and caring for the illegal immigrants pending trial and finally shipping costs after the trials.

Some people feel that prices would increase initially at least until those jobs were filled by legal workers, but taxes would decrease. After one year, there would actually be less welfare paid because a lot of our citizens who currently take welfare would find employment suitable to their skills and education levels.

I'm not sure how true this is, for myself, as I don't see the unemployed but able to work individuals hopping on the berry picking truck, taking up roofing/construction or any of thousands of unskilled and generally low paying jobs that most illegal immigrants currently fill. If they were willing to take those sorts of jobs they wouldn't be unemployed, after all. There is also a school of thought that says that crime would drop off but again, I do not feel that this is the case. There may be a small drop off but I doubt it would be significant.

Some economists believe that everything would come hurtling down in a massive crash and burn event. I think that's a lot less realistic than a sharp rise in the price of any crop brought in by scads of manual labor, a drop in tax revenues from companies which provide that service, and similar impacts in any other service that heavily employs illegal immigrants.
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Fireflair wrote: There is also a school of thought that says that crime would drop off but again, I do not feel that this is the case. There may be a small drop off but I doubt it would be significant.

It wouldn't even be a small drop. Undocumented immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than the general population (because, duh, they're mostly trying NOT to attract the attention of law enforcement) so actually measured as per capita rates crime would increase as you removed the people who committed crimes at the lower rates from the population.
Post by edgeworthy   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:48 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Annachie wrote:The FART act.

Stupidity or distracton?

The Fair And Reciprocal Tariff act?
Apparently they tried to pass it quietly, but people caught wind, and now its making a stink!
Honestly you could never get away with using this in fiction, no one would believe that any government could possibly be so stupid. (In reality its a very serious matter, if passed it would grant the Donald near dictatorial control over part of the taxation system and completely f*ck over the World Trade Organisation)
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:46 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

In this hour's installment of things Trump is trying to lie about... he's now trying to link the NSAs decision to purge data saved during counter terrorism data collection to the Mueller probe.

They have literally nothing to do with each other.

Also, can someone tell this moron HE is the one that has been in charge of the NSA for over a year now? He's attacking his own freaking departments and appointees just because he thinks he can twist it into a talking point against the Mueller investigation.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 7954811904

For reference, he's talking about this, which is the NSA discovering and correcting a technical issue in how data was being sent to them by telecom providers that resulted in the telecoms sending them data they weren't supposed to, and PROTECTING people's privacy rights by purging all the data because it's impractical to filter it all now for data they were or were not supposed to receive:

https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/press ... sion.shtml
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:39 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

And in THIS hour's installment... a 7% drop in Harley Davidson sales last year is because their customers are upset at them for announcing this year that they were moving some of their operations to Europe.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5135516672

President of the United States people. Behold his genius.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

More Trump lies.. he was bragging this morning he got NATO member nations to up their defense spending

No. No he didn't.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1017367754096115713?s=19

But all that matters is his worshippers will read his Twitter boasting that he did and unquestioningly accept it. Because they simply don't care about confirming anything they're told.
Post by edgeworthy   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 am

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Visit to Britain

He's been insisting that Britons "Like him a lot"!!!

His approval rating in the UK is at 17%.
Then there are the mass protests all over the country, the giant orange man-baby blimp, and more Police on the streets than the 2011 riots.
And he's being snubbed by Parliament, the Speaker has more or less banned him from the Commons.

At what point do we start calling him genuinely delusional?

(I think we may need a giant face-palm, or banging head into wall, smilie ... and I need to go lie down in a quiet, dark room)

Return to Politics