Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by The E   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 am

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:Normal person who dislikes Trump vs TDS

Normal person - stupid joke
TDS - takes it seriously

You might have a point there if it wasn't for inconvenient little things like the fact that people in power must be held to higher standards of accountability than others. The President of the US can't joke about jailing people or declaring war. His words, whether you like it or not, have meaning; The fact that he would even joke about this is indicative of a mindset that is fundamentally at odds with the cultural requirements of his position.

Normal person - I don't like x, but I like his plan for infrastructure (or judges depending on which side of the political spectrum)
TDS - Hates everything, even things they previously liked

Like bombing Syria, you mean? Obama wants to do it, massive disapproval; Trump does it, Republicans cheer.

I wonder if you are fully aware of the arguments you're making.

Normal person - Trump is annoying, obnoxious etc
TDS - Trump is insane

Compulsive lying is a form of insanity, is it not? As a Trump supporter, you have to justify your belief in Trump every single time he comes out with one form of hyperbolic statement or another, whenever he lies about something or someone, whenever he goes on childish tirades, you have to ask yourself why he's the best choice.
But since you are so deep in denial about Trump's unsuitability and toxicity, it's so much easier to diagnose people who point out to you that you made a wrong choice with some imagined derangement than confront your own mistakes, isn't it?

Normal person - Who could we find to run in 2020
TDS - Impeach Trump

You know that it's possible to do both, right?

And that if it is possible to start impeachment proceedings over a bit of marital infidelity, then starting them over actually illegal things shouldn't be much of an issue, right?

Normal person - OK a good platform for 2018 would be policy 1, policy 2, policy 3
TDS- A good platform for 2018 is Hate Trump

What was Trump's platform again? Was it building a wall? Or jailing Hillary Clinton? Or "making america great again", whatever that means?
Post by Joat42   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

Joat42
Admiral

TDS - takes it seriously

Normal person - I don't like x, but I like his plan for infrastructure (or judges depending on which side of the political spectrum)

TDS - Trump is insane

TDS - Impeach Trump

Normal person - OK a good platform for 2018 would be policy 1, policy 2, policy 3

From what have seen and read, most people defending Trump trots out the following arguments defending Trump or why they voted for him:
1. Hillary is crooked/evil whatever.
2. It's Obamas fault.
2. Trump only joked.
3. Fake news.
4. It's just a conspiracy trying to discredit Trump.

Sometimes they follow it up with a link to some obscure right wing website with very little facts and a lot of opinion pieces.

I'm always amazed how much effort people put into turning a blind eye to what's really happening just so they can stay in their comfort zone.

Any person with an inkling of critical thinking has fast realized that what's happening in the US is bad and Trump is just the poster boy for this change.

The rest of the world are watching with the same horrid fascination some do at a trainwreck in slowmotion and at the same time laughing at the sheer stupidity displayed.

Both Russia and China are gloating at the current turmoil and they WILL exploit it to the limit to further their influence.

The thing is, you never vote for the person who has quick and easy solutions for complex problems - you vote for the one that says that the problems are difficult and will take time to fix. The former is a blowhard and the latter a statesman. People who don't recognize this vote emotionally instead of intelligently - and if you are emotionally invested you will find it hard to own up to the fact that you made a mistake.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:Thank you for proving my point specifically!

By factually refuting all your claims? Ummm.... you're welcome?

We all have issues that we are not objective about and the response received was anything but logical or objective. Hey do you here the roar from Texas that is me laughing at you. Do you think I care about what you think...are you my neighbor, my wife, and/or fellow Christians? No, then your opinion of me means absolutely nada or zero in my world view! I spent 8 days in ICU, I was not supposed to live yet here I am. My organs were hours away from complete failure. I could not walk a 100 yards. I spent so much time watching C-Span (HGTV and cooking network) and watching them interrogate FBI Director Comey in open hearings. I more than certain what he said under Oath because I was stuck at home recovering.

Well then you should be able to go to the Congressional transcript where the statement you claim he made is found, and give me the exact words he used.

LIKE I DID.

I'll be over here, not holding my breath.

All this happened to me from a little microbe that attacked my prostate. So please go check your facts first before attacking others without knowing the truth. By the way, I knew I had scored a direct hit when you turned it personal. I voted against Hilary not for Trump. I will be voting for Trump for his 2nd term. By the way, I am not objective where Hilary is concerned but at least I'm honest with myself about the truth.

We'll see about that if you actually go look up the congressional transcripts.

My bet? We're not going to see you do it.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TDS - takes it seriously

The president of the United States responding to a yelled accusation of treason against his political opponents from a crowd.... an accusation that was NOT a joke... by laughing along and agreeing with it with a chuckle instead of shutting it down, is not the stuff of comedy.

Respond to this.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6393&start=215

Only ONE political group in this country has completely flipped their positions on issues dependent on whether Trump supports them or not. And it is not his detractors. So if you want to start labeling anyone as having a syndrome...

TDS - Trump is insane

Define insane. I don't think there is much argument he has narcissistic personality disorder that borders on the incapacitating.

TDS - Impeach Trump

You get that when a president commits impeachable offenses calling for their impeachment is normal right?

Do I have to point you at the posting history of every Trump supporter on this forum during the 2016 election, with regard to Clinton? How many admitted Trump was not a good choice.... BUT CLINTON!!!!! OMG!!!! WE HATE HER SO MUCH!!!!

That was a mildly little entertaining exercise in you just labeling any reaction you don't like to Trump a derangement syndrome, but try backing it up.
Post by dscott8   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

dscott8
Commodore

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" is nothing but a BS meme promulgated by spiteful alt-right-wingers. It's a fancy way of calling someone "retard" like grade school bullies do.
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:12 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" is nothing but a BS meme promulgated by spiteful alt-right-wingers. It's a fancy way of calling someone "retard" like grade school bullies do.

Sorry it is definitely a thing. But if it makes you happier, Obama derangement syndrome also existed. You should have seen some of the nutcase head-explosions from otherwise rational people to various Obama issues.

The president of the United States responding to a yelled accusation of treason against his political opponents from a crowd.... an accusation that was NOT a joke... by laughing along and agreeing with it with a chuckle instead of shutting it down, is not the stuff of comedy.

Actually turning something into a joke is a very effective way of shutting it down. A classic example is Mel Brooks commentary about his movie The Producers.

Only ONE political group in this country has completely flipped their positions on issues dependent on whether Trump supports them or not. And it is not his detractors.

The only issue that the Republicans have flipped on is trade and that wasn't just Trump that was also Bernie and the outpouring of rage from the voters. The establishment wing of the Democrats also flipped on that issue.

Trump supports the big Republican issues: limited government, originalist judges, abortion etc.

I don't think there is much argument he has narcissistic personality disorder that borders on the incapacitating.

Ummm. Yeah there is a lot of argument about that. He is clearly a narcissist. But did you ever see Obama talk about himself? That guy has a huge narcissist complex as well. And certain people fed it by Oh, say awarding him the Nobel Peace Prize for existing. But being a narcissist does not disqualify one from political office.

Other presidents with high narcissism scores: both Johnsons, both Roosevelts, Jackson, Kennedy, Nixon, Clinton, and Arthur.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... residents/

There is a lot of discussion in Republican circles as to whether his personality helps him or hurts him. The general concensus is that he would be more effective if he were less obnoxious. However, there is a sizable minority who feel that being obnoxious is the only way to smash through Washington's complicacy.

You get that when a president commits impeachable offenses calling for their impeachment is normal right?

He hasn't committed an impeachable offence. Most of these people were calling for his impeachment before he even took office. They just want to undo the election.

Do I have to point you at the posting history of every Trump supporter on this forum during the 2016 election, with regard to Clinton? How many admitted Trump was not a good choice.... BUT CLINTON!!!!! OMG!!!! WE HATE HER SO MUCH!!!!

An actual election is a binary choice. Clinton would have put in place any number of horrible policies (at least horrible from a Republican point of view). Plus, her corruption would have worsened the swamp problem in DC. As is often the case one must vote for the best of the two.

The place to really impact selection is in the primaries. That is where true choice exists and I don't know of a single poster who voted for Trump in the primary.

The thing is, you never vote for the person who has quick and easy solutions for complex problems - you vote for the one that says that the problems are difficult and will take time to fix. The former is a blowhard and the latter a statesman. People who don't recognize this vote emotionally instead of intelligently - and if you are emotionally invested you will find it hard to own up to the fact that you made a mistake.

Scott Walker would have been a great president. But we were stuck with Trump v Clinton.

You might have a point there if it wasn't for inconvenient little things like the fact that people in power must be held to higher standards of accountability than others. The President of the US can't joke about jailing people or declaring war. His words, whether you like it or not, have meaning; The fact that he would even joke about this is indicative of a mindset that is fundamentally at odds with the cultural requirements of his position.

Actually many presidents do it all the time. Obama, Clinton and Reagan for example (neither of the Bushes had much of a sense of humor).

Compulsive lying is a form of insanity, is it not? As a Trump supporter, you have to justify your belief in Trump every single time he comes out with one form of hyperbolic statement or another, whenever he lies about something or someone, whenever he goes on childish tirades, you have to ask yourself why he's the best choice.

Politicians constantly use hyperbole. Just mentally divide by 2.

I don't actually mind the hyperbole so much, it's entertaining. The most annoying thing is picking unnecessary fights.

And that if it is possible to start impeachment proceedings over a bit of marital infidelity, then starting them over actually illegal things shouldn't be much of an issue, right?

It wasn't marital infidelity, it was lying about it in court. You know the crime of perjury? If faithfulness was required 3/4 of the presidents would be impeached.

What was Trump's platform again? Was it building a wall? Or jailing Hillary Clinton? Or "making america great again", whatever that means?

1. America first in trade negotiations and diplomatic talks.
2. Drain the swamp
3. Immigration (which could be classified as a subsection of America first) including but not limited to the wall
4. Defend normal people from the elites (related to drain the swamp), Hillary was a classic example of different rules apply to the elites. If I had done what she did with classified material I would be in HUGE trouble. She skated as far a official punishments went. Although she did pay electorially which is enough punishment as far as I am personally concerned.
Post by The E   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:Politicians constantly use hyperbole. Just mentally divide by 2.

I don't actually mind the hyperbole so much, it's entertaining. The most annoying thing is picking unnecessary fights.

What about the lies, though? The outright false statements? The easily disproven lies and falsehoods he promotes almost daily?
Post by The E   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 am

The E
Admiral

biochem wrote:1. America first in trade negotiations and diplomatic talks.
2. Drain the swamp
3. Immigration (which could be classified as a subsection of America first) including but not limited to the wall
4. Defend normal people from the elites (related to drain the swamp), Hillary was a classic example of different rules apply to the elites. If I had done what she did with classified material I would be in HUGE trouble. She skated as far a official punishments went. Although she did pay electorially which is enough punishment as far as I am personally concerned.

I am really curious to know what you think Trump has done so far to "defend normal people from the elites" and "drain the swamp".
We already know that Trump hasn't gotten a lot done regarding immigration or getting an america first thing going in trade, so I'm baffled how anyone could think Trump was going to make the other points on his agenda happen.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:

Actually turning something into a joke is a very effective way of shutting it down.

Only if the joke mocks or diminishes the thing it is trying to shut down. Trump's joke ENCOURAGED it.

So no, nice try.

Only ONE political group in this country has completely flipped their positions on issues dependent on whether Trump supports them or not. And it is not his detractors.

The only issue that the Republicans have flipped on is trade

So didn't even bother to READ the post I linked you to then. Ok.

It was not about trade.

I don't think there is much argument he has narcissistic personality disorder that borders on the incapacitating.

Ummm. Yeah there is a lot of argument about that. He is clearly a narcissist. But did you ever see Obama talk about himself?

If you can show me a single instance of all of Obama's presidency where he claimed he was the greatest person in the world at ANYTHING, like Trump tries to claim he is at practically EVERYTHING, I will concede your point.

There is a difference between being a little narcissistic, and having it be a pathology.

Go ahead. Show us.

He hasn't committed an impeachable offence. Most of these people were calling for his impeachment before he even took office. They just want to undo the election.

They were calling for his impeachment because he was ALREADY VIOLATING the Emoluments clause. Which he still is. Daily.

But there is zero chance the GOP controlled Congress will call him to heel for it.

An actual election is a binary choice. Clinton would have put in place any number of horrible policies (at least horrible from a Republican point of view). Plus, her corruption would have worsened the swamp problem in DC. As is often the case one must vote for the best of the two.

So instead vote for someone widely acknowledged as one of the most corrupt human beings on the entire planet. A man who actually openly bragged about his corruption and buying off politicians personally during the campaign. Who has been successfully sued for fraud multiple times. Who is right now paying out a settlement for defrauding Trump University students. Who admitted in his own book that one of his business strategies was taking loans out from banks and then just not paying them back and daring the banks to sue him. Who is infamous for wage theft against people who do work for him. Who has over a dozen credible sexual assault allegations against him. Whose first act when elected was to stack his Cabinet with fellow swamp denizen billionaires who proceeded to run into ethical problem after ethical problem. Whose gross incompetence and ignorance are on full display on a daily basis both in his own actions and his appointees. Who appointed a National Security Advisor.... a position of incredibly sensitive access to a vast array of classified material... who had to resign within a month and eventually ended up pleading guilty to a felony AFTER BEING SPECIFICALLY WARNED BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE NOT TO HIRE HIM. Who worships dictators and autocrats as role models of "strong leadership" and praises them for it. Who has brought nepotism full force to the highest office in US government.

And the list goes on and on and on and on and on...

"The best of the two".
Post by Eyal   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

biochem wrote:The only issue that the Republicans have flipped on is trade and that wasn't just Trump that was also Bernie and ///the outpouring of rage from the voters. The establishment wing of the Democrats also flipped on that issue.

You were given the example of the strike on Syria several times. Also see how Republican views on the current state of the economy flipped immediately after Trump's inauguration.

Actually many presidents do it all the time. Obama, Clinton and Reagan for example (neither of the Bushes had much of a sense of humor).

There's a time, place and issue to joke. Remember what happened after Reagan's "we begin bombing in 5 minutes"? The President's words matter.

Return to Politics