Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Annachie   » Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

More properly.
Over simply put, and therefor ultimately inaccurate as being over simple can be.

Cultural Maxism is a philosophy that came about in Germany in the 1920's/ 1930's that tried to account for the failed predictions of Karl Marx's original theory.
To whit the lack of a worker revolt in England, the rise of ultra nationalism like the Nazi party, and the general succeses of the capatilist system in general.

It differs from Lennin's rework of Marxism which went the totalitarian route, in that it tried to explain society as it was based on Marx, not use Marx as a hammer to impose a society.

The nationalist far right here in Oz use the term and I'm pretty sure they've got no idea what it means but it involves Marx so it must be bad right.
And if by chance the poli's do they're pretty sure that their voters don't.

Anyway, that's my simplistic take.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for that. I had just imagined that it was a construct from our 4.7% of losers, and hadn't thought to check it out.
A brief comment on the responses from PeterZ and biochem, before. I do enjoy a good debate, and they have replied with carefully thought out responses. These however have convinced me that our values are so disparate that we can only discuss stuff in an unemotional and academic manner, not with verve and passion, as the difference is too great.
Comments like "all you lefties are darn near commies anyway", blow me away as I don't actually consider myself a lefty (gun owner, strong on self defence and national defence) let alone a commie, just holding what are quite mainstream and middle of the road views outside the US.
Saying "same sex unions defined by their own more specific contract" is offensive to me as it implies that gays are somehow different with different rights and I'm quite straight, plus saying that it is a sin along with unmarried sex is very different. In Australia the great majority of weddings are by secular marriage celebrants in parks, so by that if they haven't been churched they are living in sin, weird.
At least unlike our alt rights you aren't fearful of everything and bitterly unhappy.
Annachie wrote:More properly.
Over simply put, and therefor ultimately inaccurate as being over simple can be.

Cultural Maxism is a philosophy that came about in Germany in the 1920's/ 1930's that tried to account for the failed predictions of Karl Marx's original theory.
To whit the lack of a worker revolt in England, the rise of ultra nationalism like the Nazi party, and the general succeses of the capatilist system in general.

It differs from Lennin's rework of Marxism which went the totalitarian route, in that it tried to explain society as it was based on Marx, not use Marx as a hammer to impose a society.

The nationalist far right here in Oz use the term and I'm pretty sure they've got no idea what it means but it involves Marx so it must be bad right.
And if by chance the poli's do they're pretty sure that their voters don't.

Anyway, that's my simplistic take.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 am

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
gcomeau wrote:And at risk of going too far back on topic....

Snip

And at risk of stating the mind numbingly obvious, replace "Trump" with "Obama" in all of that and almost every conservative in the country would be calling for armed revolution.

No we didn't call for armed revolution and Obama was every bit as offensive to conservatives as Trump is to liberals.

Ummm, bullshit?

That kind of shit was RAMPANT all over right wing social media for the last 8 years. I have right wing facebook friends and I saw it on a weekly basis. Constantly. It was EVERYWHERE.

And it wasn't just from some crazy fringe. The Green County Virginia Republican Committe sent an official newsletter out to their members in 2012 saying that is they didn't win the November vote that year their only choice would be armed rebellion. Stated so explicitly. Using those words.

And every time some right wing conservative talked about "Second Amendment Remedies" for Obama or Democrats what the hell do you think that means???? I lost count of how many times that happened.

But of course Obama never did anything that remotely even approached this. If he had there is zero question those calls would have been massively amplified.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

It's a pity you were offended, but feel free to find offense as you see fit. The choice is yours.

The Lefties are all Marxists comment was a joke as the emoji was meant to indicate. How often have you styled yourself a big government progressive, Daryl? By definition that's a lefty. You Aussies may have different definitions and that's what makes discussions interesting. The sine qua non of the left is a large and intrusive government.

If the only inoffensive opinion to hold on same sex unions is yours, then why even discuss the issue? Assert your position and leave. Too often that's how people here view disagreements. It strikes me that there is a good deal of prejudice required to approach disagreement in that way. To be offended by an opinion that disagrees with yours, it seems the one holding that opinion must hold malicious motives. If no such motives are held, how on earth can simple disagreement offend?

Daryl wrote:Thanks for that. I had just imagined that it was a construct from our 4.7% of losers, and hadn't thought to check it out.
A brief comment on the responses from PeterZ and biochem, before. I do enjoy a good debate, and they have replied with carefully thought out responses. These however have convinced me that our values are so disparate that we can only discuss stuff in an unemotional and academic manner, not with verve and passion, as the difference is too great.
Comments like "all you lefties are darn near commies anyway", blow me away as I don't actually consider myself a lefty (gun owner, strong on self defence and national defence) let alone a commie, just holding what are quite mainstream and middle of the road views outside the US.
Saying "same sex unions defined by their own more specific contract" is offensive to me as it implies that gays are somehow different with different rights and I'm quite straight, plus saying that it is a sin along with unmarried sex is very different. In Australia the great majority of weddings are by secular marriage celebrants in parks, so by that if they haven't been churched they are living in sin, weird.
At least unlike our alt rights you aren't fearful of everything and bitterly unhappy.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:18 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I stand corrected. We had fools pushing First Amendment rights the limit. Still better than the outright violence from the left.

gcomeau wrote:
Ummm, bullshit?

That kind of shit was RAMPANT all over right wing social media for the last 8 years. I have right wing facebook friends and I saw it on a weekly basis. Constantly. It was EVERYWHERE.

And it wasn't just from some crazy fringe. The Green County Virginia Republican Committe sent an official newsletter out to their members in 2012 saying that is they didn't win the November vote that year their only choice would be armed rebellion. Stated so explicitly. Using those words.

And every time some right wing conservative talked about "Second Amendment Remedies" for Obama or Democrats what the hell do you think that means???? I lost count of how many times that happened.

But of course Obama never did anything that remotely even approached this. If he had there is zero question those calls would have been massively amplified.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:31 am

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I stand corrected. We had fools pushing First Amendment rights the limit. Still better than the outright violence from the left.

What the right has is widespread and systematic encouragement of the idea that armed insurrection against a legally elected representative government is an appropriate remedy to losing elections.

What the left has is some fringe idiots who light trash cans on fire and mess up protests but who have NO influence or role in anything beyond their personal little temper tantrums.

If you think the former is better than the latter...
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

That argument was nowhere near as widespread as you claim. I was not aware of it and had I been, I would have rejected it. Regardless of who was egging the right towards violence, we did not succum in any appreciable numbers. Even our protests were peaceful. He'd the right reacted with violence the media would have eaten it up and spread that far and wide.

The looney left jumped at initiating violence.

gcomeau wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I stand corrected. We had fools pushing First Amendment rights the limit. Still better than the outright violence from the left.

What the right has is widespread and systematic encouragement of the idea that armed insurrection against a legally elected representative government is an appropriate remedy to losing elections.

What the left has is some fringe idiots who light trash cans on fire and mess up protests but who have NO influence or role in anything beyond their personal little temper tantrums.

If you think the former is better than the latter...
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:That argument was nowhere near as widespread as you claim. I was not aware of it and had I been, I would have rejected it. Regardless of who was egging the right towards violence, we did not succum in any appreciable numbers. Even our protests were peaceful. He'd the right reacted with violence the media would have eaten it up and spread that far and wide.

It was and remains *incredibly* wide spread. Trump PERSONALLY on national television stated that "Second amendment people" could do something about Clinton appointing judges if she got elected. That is the presidential candidate of the Republican party on national television giving a wink wink nudge nudge "hey you can always assassinate president Hillary" suggestion to the ENTIRE conservative population of America. Not some idiot hoodlum smashing a window while receiving no encouragement or support for that action from ANYONE in a position of influence of authority on the left.

And he is FAR from the only major Republican party figure to pull that shit. This has been going on for years. If you are unaware you have been paying no attention at all.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

You're off the deep end. Do keep it up!

gcomeau wrote:
PeterZ wrote:That argument was nowhere near as widespread as you claim. I was not aware of it and had I been, I would have rejected it. Regardless of who was egging the right towards violence, we did not succum in any appreciable numbers. Even our protests were peaceful. He'd the right reacted with violence the media would have eaten it up and spread that far and wide.

It was and remains *incredibly* wide spread. Trump PERSONALLY on national television stated that "Second amendment people" could do something about Clinton appointing judges if she got elected. That is the presidential candidate of the Republican party on national television giving a wink wink nudge nudge "hey you can always assassinate president Hillary" suggestion to the ENTIRE conservative population of America. Not some idiot hoodlum smashing a window while receiving no encouragement or support for that action from ANYONE in a position of influence of authority on the left.

And he is FAR from the only major Republican party figure to pull that shit. This has been going on for years. If you are unaware you have been paying no attention at all.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 10, 2017 4:24 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:You're off the deep end. Do keep it up!

Perhaps you could explain how stating an obvious recorded fact is "off the deep end"?

Return to Politics