Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by smr   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:44 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Ok for all you Geniuses and Einsteins out there...How many Senators have to vote "yes" for impeachment?

Not 60 but 67 Senators

This is not a budget resolution but articles of impeachment.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:03 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote:Ok for all you Geniuses and Einsteins out there...How many Senators have to vote "yes" for impeachment?

Not 60 but 67 Senators

Yeppers, two thirds majority needed for impeachment.

The confusion comes from both impeachment and the budget resolution using the phrase "Super Majority" which personally they shouldn't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 am

The E
Admiral

smr wrote:Ok for all you Geniuses and Einsteins out there...How many Senators have to vote "yes" for impeachment?

Not 60 but 67 Senators

I like how you went from "Trump did nothing wrong" to "you don't have the votes to impeach" there.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:12 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:

Not 60 but 67 Senators

I like how you went from "Trump did nothing wrong" to "you don't have the votes to impeach" there.

pappilon says: I was the one saying even 60 votes is not going to happen unless the GOP panics over loss of control of either house of congress and tosses Trump under the bus. If they can't get to 60 no way they'll get to 67.

Don't they need a cloture vote to even bring impeachment to the senate floor? I am a bit shaky on that one :oops: . Senate rules and procedure, not my thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Well Gates pled guilty to the charge of Conspiracy Against the United States... (as well as lying to the FBI)

The conspiracy charge is the killer. Manafort is indicted as being his co-conspirator. And Gates just admitted to the conspiracy and agreed to give up everything he knows about it.

Which means Manafort is doomed. Unless he gives up something valuable enough to get a very good plea deal he's looking at life in prison with the charges lined up against him. And effectively zero chance of beating those charges in court now.

And the list of things Manafort could give Mueller to make a deal worth it is not long. Trump's lawyers must be working overtime trying to sell him BS reassurances right now to keep him from erupting all over Twitter or trying to fire Mueller.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:And the list of things Manafort could give Mueller to make a deal worth it is not long. Trump's lawyers must be working overtime trying to sell him BS reassurances right now to keep him from erupting all over Twitter or trying to fire Mueller.

But if Manafort keeps quiet, then he might get a surreptitious Presidential Pardon after a couple of months...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
gcomeau wrote:And the list of things Manafort could give Mueller to make a deal worth it is not long. Trump's lawyers must be working overtime trying to sell him BS reassurances right now to keep him from erupting all over Twitter or trying to fire Mueller.

But if Manafort keeps quiet, then he might get a surreptitious Presidential Pardon after a couple of months...

Probably the only thing he could bank on at this point...

Except, Mueller is not stupid. Pretty sure a bunch of those bank fraud and other tax/financial charges he's leveling at him can be pursued at the state level. And Trump can't pardon those, only Federal charges.

And it's been reported before Mueller's team has been in contact and working with state AG offices. New York in particular.

There is a good chance he's guarding against the possibility of Trump trying to pardon Manafort already.

(Edit: But let's face it.... pardoning his former campaign manager for Conspiracy against the United States? On charges it looks like Mueller has him absolutely nailed to the wall on? He might hold on to his fanatic immune-to-all-reality base after doing something like that but he won't hold a single independent or moderate vote. It'll be the nail in his political coffin. If the GOP didn't immediately impeach him and toss him to the wolves they'd go down with him. Well even harder than they are already looking at anyway.)
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Well Gates pled guilty to the charge of Conspiracy Against the United States... (as well as lying to the FBI)

The conspiracy charge is the killer. Manafort is indicted as being his co-conspirator. And Gates just admitted to the conspiracy and agreed to give up everything he knows about it.

Which means Manafort is doomed. Unless he gives up something valuable enough to get a very good plea deal he's looking at life in prison with the charges lined up against him. And effectively zero chance of beating those charges in court now.

And the list of things Manafort could give Mueller to make a deal worth it is not long. Trump's lawyers must be working overtime trying to sell him BS reassurances right now to keep him from erupting all over Twitter or trying to fire Mueller.

:lol:

Because what he says on Twitter can, and will, be used against him in a court of law.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:There is a good chance he's guarding against the possibility of Trump trying to pardon Manafort already.

(Edit: But let's face it.... pardoning his former campaign manager for Conspiracy against the United States? On charges it looks like Mueller has him absolutely nailed to the wall on? He might hold on to his fanatic immune-to-all-reality base after doing something like that but he won't hold a single independent or moderate vote. It'll be the nail in his political coffin. If the GOP didn't immediately impeach him and toss him to the wolves they'd go down with him. Well even harder than they are already looking at anyway.)

I think you are giving far too much political ability to the Democrats. Now they're attacking a "Bernie suporter"that might just win the dem nomination foe a seat somewhere in Texas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:04 am

gcomeau
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
gcomeau wrote:There is a good chance he's guarding against the possibility of Trump trying to pardon Manafort already.

I think you are giving far too much political ability to the Democrats. Now they're attacking a "Bernie suporter"that might just win the dem nomination foe a seat somewhere in Texas.

Yeah and if they keep that shit up they'll have one good election cycle then get kicked in the teeth after Trump is gone and can't be used as a vote rallying cry anymore.

But *nothing* would save the GOP and Trump for the next election cycle if he starts openly pardoning people indicted for crimes against the nation just to try to cover his own ass and they try to shield him from impeachment for it.

Return to Politics