Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:57 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The E wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:You call breaking and entering, and trespassing, ‘bogus crimes’? This country is our home, and we have the right to decide who we want to let in. Breaking the law and forcing their way into our country is just as real a crime as breaking into your house.

Except no, it really isn't.

Illegal immigration is something that only very recently became a crime (In the 1920s, I think, at least in the US).

Here's the problem though: For most crimes, it is possible to point out where damage was caused by the criminal. We can find victims, in other words.

Who's the victim when it comes to illegal immigration though? Are you, personally, damaged by the presence of a mexican farm hand where there was none before? Is anyone?
On the contrary, there is a mountain of evidence that the illegal immigrant population of the US is vastly more productive than other population segments (i.e. they are in the country to do work). The myth of the illegal immigrant who comes into the country to do a crime or ten is just that: A myth. Not saying that it doesn't happen, of course, but considering the fact that those crimes are massively overreported by the usual suspects puts that into perspective.

Illegal immigration, from my personal perspective, is a bogus crime. Prosecuting it doesn't help anyone. It doesn't make you, personally, safer; On the contrary, if you happen to look like an illegal immigrant to an enforcement officer, chances are you're going to have a rather unpleasant encounter with law enforcement in your future.

The United Ststes has had immigration laws since its founding.

You ever hear of a place called Ellis Island?

Incoming immigrants were given a cursory examination. If they were sick or seemed to be mentally incompetent, they were sent back. My wife's great grandfather and his mother were compelled to return to Sweden until he had recovered from a disease while her Great Grandfather stayed in the US to get established.

Of course Swedes were considered defective and undesirable back then too. This attitude is reflected by the Swedish Chef in THE MUPPET SHOW.

As to the Irish, you would have to watch the movie BLAZING SADDLES to full appreciate how Americans thought about them.

Ok. I can not resist. Here is a hilarious clip from Blazing Saddles.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1t92f2
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by smr   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:37 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Proverbs 13:12

Your maxims are proverbs of ashes; your defenses are defenses of clay.

Gcomeau's rant is like the kettle calling the pot black! What delicious irony in Gcomeau's statements.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:16 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:30 am

The E
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The United Ststes has had immigration laws since its founding.

No, it hasn't, not in the modern sense. It took until the Emergency Quota Act of 1921 for there to be a comprehensive law that would compel the federal government to actually put effort into policing its borders and controlling the influx of immigrants.

You ever hear of a place called Ellis Island?

I have. Ellis Island, as an immigration inspection station, was established in 1892 - About a hundred years after the founding of the US, following the passing of the Immigration act of 1891. Before then, immigration was relatively unregulated (the first penalties for undesirable immigration were established in 1875, when bringing in cheap labor from Asia was turned into a crime. Most notably though, it wasn't prosecuted against the immigrants themselves, rather, the businesspeople who brought in those people faced rather severe fines); becoming a citizen was merely a question of having to live in the US for some time.

As to the Irish, you would have to watch the movie BLAZING SADDLES to full appreciate how Americans thought about them.

I would recommend Gangs of New York as well, on that topic.
Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:31 am

The E
Admiral

<accidental douple post, pls ignore>
Last edited by The E on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 am

The E
Admiral

Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 am

The E
Admiral

Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:34 am

The E
Admiral

smr wrote:Proverbs 13:12

Your maxims are proverbs of ashes; your defenses are defenses of clay.

Gcomeau's rant is like the kettle calling the pot black! What delicious irony in Gcomeau's statements.

Do you deny that Donald Trump often talks about undefined people telling him things in his speeches?
Post by The E   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 am

The E
Admiral

Last edited by The E on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

E, you can stop re-posting that post now.
I think most of us here understand the points you are making.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics