Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Nothing illegal with being registeted in 3 states. Thiugh down here electoral roles are maintained at a federal level so it can't happen.

It's voting in 3 states that gets you into trouble. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Heh, even if i COULD vote many times here, all it would do would be to make an annoyance for the people counting, as only my last vote actually counts(this is taken into account for mail votes and stuff like that).
Post by Daryl   » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

A big deal for Australia at the moment, but probably not even on the radar in the US, is a dispute between our PM and Trump over a refugee swap.
Previously agreed with the Obama administration, it basically was a swap of over a thousand refugees each. We would send our "boat people" who are in a concentration camp offshore on Nauru Island to the US, while the US would send South American detainees (mainly Puerto Rican?) to us.
Not logical but meant that both governments would honour their pledge that "None would enter our country" which they felt would encourage more. Exactly how access to either of the world's two most desirable countries to live in was much different wasn't explained.
The phone conversation didn't go well. Knowing the personalities it's not surprising. Our PM is fairly useless in the role, but is an internationally acclaimed lawyer, urbane, sophisticated, a gentleman who plays by the rules, but a tedious waffler. Trump is a bare knuckled brawler who has no manners and few ethics. The PM expected an adult discussion and basically got told to go elsewhere and fornicate.
Watch this space.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Daryl wrote: <snip>... while the US would send South American detainees (mainly Puerto Rican?) to us.

Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Puerto Rico is a US Territory.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:02 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I never really understood the deal myself.

Kellyanne Conway. Every time she opens her mouth it seems a new low in Bull Shittery emerged.

But the memes, lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:00 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:I never really understood the deal myself.

Kellyanne Conway. Every time she opens her mouth it seems a new low in Bull Shittery emerged.

But the memes, lol.

Can't find anything about US detainees being exchanged for those held in New Guinea. Everythinh coming out of the White Hoise should mostly be considered either alternative facts produced by the alternative right, deliberate misinformation or Trumps way to actually open a dialogue with ... pretty much anybody. Or just trial balloons
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by biochem   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:08 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

That's her job. All presidents have someone whose job is to do this. With Trump as president, she'll deserve an academy award after 4 years of this.
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:40 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

biochem wrote:

That's her job. All presidents have someone whose job is to do this. With Trump as president, she'll deserve an academy award after 4 years of this.

After all her years with Brietbart, this is just a continuation of her alternate facts, but in a wider forum where most people see it as BS and respond with the vitriol it deserves.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:40 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

WW, I suspect the White House are really in 2 minds over the deal.

Simply put, if I understand it correctly, it allowed both countries to settle refugee's (who granted are also technically illegal's) in a decent country without settling them in their target Oz/US which both governments had sworn not to do.

In Trump's case it crosses his own domestic agenda, viz the EO's.
In Turnbull's, it gets him out (a little bit) of a sticky situation that his party's far right has stuck him with.

I can't see Trump doing it though, without throwing in so many conditions that it wont work.

So I suspect we are getting serious mixed messages about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:31 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:WW, I suspect the White House are really in 2 minds over the deal.

Simply put, if I understand it correctly, it allowed both countries to settle refugee's (who granted are also technically illegal's) in a decent country without settling them in their target Oz/US which both governments had sworn not to do.

2 minds :lol: :lol: More like Multiple Personalities

Annachie wrote:In Trump's case it crosses his own domestic agenda, viz the EO's.
In Turnbull's, it gets him out (a little bit) of a sticky situation that his party's far right has stuck him with.

I can't see Trump doing it though, without throwing in so many conditions that it wont work.

So I suspect we are getting serious mixed messages about it.

Yes they are illegals trying to gain enty to AU to request refugee status. And New Guinea is perfect. Trump nly accepts those that request entry to Us then gets to strenuously vet them. and can refuse entry to any and all. which he could have done without all the attacking of the AU PM and other posturing.

All a horse-and-pony show for the masses to keep his ratings up. and hopefully ahead of The New Celebrity Apprentice starring The Arnold.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

We have an interesting (to us) political situation here at present.
Our sort of equivalent to the tea party (One Nation) has risen from 5% in the last election to 8% in the polls (buoyed by the new order of Trump sweeping the world, yeah right), so the ultra conservative rump of our conservative party (called the Liberals, long story) has decided to secede to get a slice of that bounty.
This has not exactly enthused the sane members of the conservative party, as they were already well behind Labor (equiv to Democrats) in the polls. Splitting their vote even more is daft.
On our blogs and chat rooms it seems that the problem is caused by group speak. If the only people you talk to have similar views, then you believe the "silent majority" does. Incidentally we have compulsory voting, so the real majority votes anyway, unlike the US.
Interesting times. Has Trump called your Constitution false news yet?

Return to Politics