Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:06 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:We have an interesting (to us) political situation here at present.
Our sort of equivalent to the tea party (One Nation) has risen from 5% in the last election to 8% in the polls (buoyed by the new order of Trump sweeping the world, yeah right), so the ultra conservative rump of our conservative party (called the Liberals, long story) has decided to secede to get a slice of that bounty.
This has not exactly enthused the sane members of the conservative party, as they were already well behind Labor (equiv to Democrats) in the polls. Splitting their vote even more is daft.
On our blogs and chat rooms it seems that the problem is caused by group speak. If the only people you talk to have similar views, then you believe the "silent majority" does. Incidentally we have compulsory voting, so the real majority votes anyway, unlike the US.
Interesting times. Has Trump called your Constitution false news yet?

Groupspeak here is retagged being in a bubble. Which used to be called a simulacron. people get caught in an information [or disinformation]loop and lose reality, or create an alternative reality full of alternative facts.

His preferred judicial appointees see Article VI of the constitution as irrelevant. What Would the Founding Fathers Do? :roll: :roll: :lol: Yeah, like they had 100% agreement and never had to make compromises. I suppose we're lucky that Madison, Jay, and Hamilton wrote "The Federalist Papers, under the pseudonym Publius and actually published them in New York colonial newspapers and sort of explained the rationale behind the constitution. But, even reasonable people can reasonably disagree. and an activist court definition depends on whose fatted calf gets slaughtered for the feast.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:24 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

A royal commission into child sexual abuse down here has found that around 7% of catholic priests and monks are pedoe's, and that the church has been trying to cover it up for decades.

Just wow.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:A royal commission into child sexual abuse down here has found that around 7% of catholic priests and monks are pedoe's, and that the church has been trying to cover it up for decades.

Just wow.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The thing that gets me the most is the cases where there are whole strings of allegations. Given that about 1 in 10 of these types of allegations is false I can understand the thought process for a single allegation - Father X who I've known and respected for years couldn't possibly have done such a thing, it must be a false accusation situation. That's just human nature, no one wants to believe that someone they know and respect is a monster. But some of these guys had accusation after accusation pile up. At some point you've got to stop believing Father X. Frankly I think that the Bishops who covered for those with multiple accusations should be charged criminally as accessories.
Post by biochem   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

A summary of some of the media hysteria floating around lately. These guys have forgotten the story of the boy who cried wolf.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16- ... trump-won/
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:24 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

biochem wrote:A summary of some of the media hysteria floating around lately. These guys have forgotten the story of the boy who cried wolf.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16- ... trump-won/

They can't help it. Trump is displaying enough of his inner a$$ hole to torque off enough of the regularly. The man might have an ego the size of Texas, but he is using the media's negative image of him without letting that ego get in his way. I am willing to bet Gorsuch is confirmed and the immigration ban is upheld. All these out-pourings of rage at Berkeley and I suspect more college campuses to come will convert ever more moderates and older Democrats to Trump.

Had to buy an hot air popper. The hot oil popcorn maker was adding too much around my middle.
Post by The E   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:55 pm

The E
Admiral

So according to Trump and PeterZ, election fraud is a huge deal that must be investigated.

Related to that, having a federal agency that ensures that elections are held to common standards are probably a good thing, right?

Well, apparently not.

https://www.thenation.com/article/house ... be-hacked/
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:03 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

The E wrote:So according to Trump and PeterZ, election fraud is a huge deal that must be investigated.

Related to that, having a federal agency that ensures that elections are held to common standards are probably a good thing, right?

Well, apparently not.

https://www.thenation.com/article/house ... be-hacked/

Of course... they don't actually want to uphold election integrity after all or they would be passing different laws. They just want to use fake stories about a type of fraud that pretty much never happens to let them pass laws that obstruct the ability of targeted voter groups to cast ballots.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:24 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
Of course... they don't actually want to uphold election integrity after all or they would be passing different laws. They just want to use fake stories about a type of fraud that pretty much never happens to let them pass laws that obstruct the ability of targeted voter groups to cast ballots.

Just like you want to promulgate your racist liberal policies and damn minorities to murderous inner cities like Chicago? Be careful what you accuse me of. Policies I support haven't condemned generations of minorities to crime ridden neighborhoods. Liberal ones have.

I do want to uphold the integrity of elections and do believe there is election fraud.
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:43 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
gcomeau wrote:

Just like you want to promulgate your racist liberal policies and damn minorities to murderous inner cities like Chicago? Be careful what you accuse me of.

"They" referred to the people passing the laws in question.

Unless you've been doing some legislating I wasn't talking about you. I consider you a victim of their misinformation campaign not a generator of it.

Just going to ignore the usual "liberals are the real racists" thing. Been there, dealt with that.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
PeterZ wrote:
Just like you want to promulgate your racist liberal policies and damn minorities to murderous inner cities like Chicago? Be careful what you accuse me of.

"They" referred to the people passing the laws in question.

Unless you've been doing some legislating I wasn't talking about you. I consider you a victim of their misinformation campaign not a generator of it.

Just going to ignore the usual "liberals are the real racists" thing. Been there, dealt with that.

Apologies. Read in context with the poster you copied, the subject was vague. Indeed, I would be cautious of any legislation "they" attempted to pass. The investigation will reveal quite a bit in and of itself.

Return to Politics