Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:34 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 33120?s=19

Literally confusing November 11th, with July 4th.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:14 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The President's new assistant is one of the guts who tried to assist Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly in covering up their sexual harassment problems.

He's hired a person who's claim to fame is literally covering up things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:48 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Jim Jordan is saying the over half dozen former Ohio State athletes saying Jordan knew about and covered up massive and widespread sexual abuse at the university, where HUNDREDS of athletes were abused while he was an assistant coach there, are agents of the "Deep State".

Because you know, if your voters are mindnumbingly stupid enough to believe that all the accusations against Trump are a Deep State Conspiracy!!!!!!!!! might as well just tell them the same conspiracy is responsible for anything else you get accused of right?
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:41 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

On a slight subject change, an article written by a former Social Justice Warrior can be found just here.

It's quite thought-provoking.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by smr   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:27 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Dead Center of the Bullseye!

Michael Everett wrote:On a slight subject change, an article written by a former Social Justice Warrior can be found just here.

Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am

gcomeau
Admiral

smr wrote:Dead Center of the Bullseye!

Michael Everett wrote:On a slight subject change, an article written by a former Social Justice Warrior can be found just here.

How incredibly surprising you would think that...
Post by Joat42   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 am

Joat42
Admiral

Is it? From what I read we have a person behaving like a raging asshole on the internet and it caught up with him. Not what I would call thought-provoking.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by The E   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am

The E
Admiral

Yes, it is.

It's mostly provoking thoughts like "Man, that's a transparently written propaganda piece", though.

Let's go point by point to see how this thing works.

In the beginning, the author describes himself (I am just going to assume we're dealing with a man here) as someone who is now living the humble life of a delivery or Uber driver after being fired from another job for toxicity.

Now, what's interesting here is that he omits any specifics; The reader is free to assume anything. Without specifics, it is impossible to tell whether this is a true account or just a fabrication (however, having seen a few of these in my time, I am leaning toward fabrication).

He tells us that his transgressions were so severe as to not just be dropped from his job, but his entire career as well.
Now, here's the thing. Stuff like that does happen.... but it most often happens because a) you screwed up so bad that no amount of genuine skill can compensate or b) you did something actually illegal.
I wonder what his crime was.

He tells us that he still holds many of the opinions he held in his previous life.
Would be interesting if he, at any point, told us what those were or are.
Since he doesn't, however, he could be anything. He could even be a Trumpet.

Ah, but then he makes an actual point! He says:
Real change does not stem from these tactics. They only cause division, alienation, and bitterness.

I call this the liberal fallacy. Liberal, because it is funded on the idea that all ideas are valid and can be debated fairly on their merits, and fallacy, because they aren't.
The thing is, sometimes you can argue someone out of an idea. But, flipside of that coin, sometimes you can't; Trump followers, for example, can't be convinced that Trump is a walking disaster area no matter how insane he gets.
Division, alienation and bitterness are regrettable. But sometimes you have to cut someone out.

But after that, he goes into manipulative bullshit.
How did I become that person? It happened because it was exhilarating. Every time I would call someone racist or sexist, I would get a rush.

A naive reader might see this and nod along.
An astute one, however, sees the actual meme being planted: The idea that people who call someone or something out as racist or sexist are getting off on it; that, on some level, these accusations are inherently disingenuous.

Now, the term SJW has a history. It used to be a term leftists used against hangers-on and cheerleaders who tried to gain social cachet by screaming loudly about anything that smelled of injustice.
Then the modern conservative movement got wind of it and applied it broadly to anyone criticizing anything from a lefty perspective.
The author tells us that he was an SJW (modern sense) but he seems to actually have been an SJW in the original sense. An important difference which a reader will be blind to if they haven't been keeping up with internet culture (which neither you, smr, nor you, Michael, seem to have done).

But back to the article. Here's a complete summary of it that recounts every fact mentioned in it:
The author had a decent job at a social justice business that did something.
Something happened.
The author quit or got fired because of the something.
People on social media were mean because of the something.
The author read a book that validated his perceived sense of injustice because of the something.
Now the author sees the real world that is something.

As you can see, there are no facts in it. Just stuff that sounds good to people not accustomed to taking a critical look at things that they agree with.
It's the Candace Owens thing again: Just because someone agrees with you doesn't mean they're right, or even truthful about their agreement with you.
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

The E wrote:

Yes, it is.

It's mostly provoking thoughts like "Man, that's a transparently written propaganda piece", though.

Still provoked thoughts, though. :D

But, yeah, I stumbled across it while looking at Evergreen College (America) which has been shedding staff and students after pursuing a socio-political goal which could be described as Multiculteral, but which was not thought through by the faculty.

Bret Weinstein (a former teacher at the college) had to resign and gave testimony about the events which forced him out.
His statement (given July 12, 2017) can be found here.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Aparently America suffers from invisible fog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics