Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

The E wrote:Do you have any source for this or...?

Well, Forbes did a pretty good article on it which can be found here.
I don't know how reliable the Daily Signal is, but they have an article on it.
The Nation Website has their own take on it just here which seems to approach the problem from the other side.
The Pluralist has a note on a racially-based educational course just here.
The Washington Post has an example of student-led segregation-style action just here.
And of course, we have a comment on it from the independent journalist Tim Pool.

If you want more sources, just google "segregation in universities"and see what comes up.

I hope these sources help and encourage others to look deeper into the issues involved.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The Forbes article is an opinion piece by a known fairly right wing professor writing about the University he works at.

Rather than address the.problems that lead to such situations as the non-white-male gym he'd rather demonstrate not only that there is a problem but that he's a part of the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:I'm gonna let the above speak for itself. You really can't stop yourself from ranting incoherently and from a position of ignorance on that topic.

In other words, you can't refute any part of it, so you'll just pretend you did. And, again, there is nothing 'incoherent' except your failure to understand English. If you look up the definition of 'incoherent' you might at least avoid making that mistake again.

The E wrote:As long as they are campaigning under the same banner as people like you, I am not going to make a distinction. You chose your allies, now you have to live with them.

1. I am not campaigning under any banner.
2. The expression 'people like you' says more about you than about me.
3. I never chose any allies.
4. I am not responsible for anybody else's words or actions.

I agree with some people about some things, and disagree with them about other things. You can't understand that. You can't make any distinctions because all the people who disagree with you are exactly the same in every way. (That is an example of sarcasm.)

The E wrote:Tell it to the US citizens of latino heritage that get "accidentally" deported.

We can't get known felonious illegal aliens deported, and you believe U.S. citizens are being 'accidentally' deported? What are you smoking over there in Europe?

The E wrote:Paying them a living wage at all would be a good idea. Or making public health care work.

Still bowing down before the altar of Big Government, I see. How about making private health care work better?

The E wrote:Tell it to the citizens of Flint.

The Flint city government failed to properly maintain the water supply infrastructure. What has that to do with skin color, or the federal government?

If anything, that case illustrates why one should not rely on Big Government for everything. When the government fucks up, what recourse do you have? The politicians that caused the problem have already granted themselves immunity from being called to account, and the money to fix it will come out of our pockets, not theirs.

The E wrote:Name a single "special priviledge" LGBT people have demanded.

Spewing hate speech at straight white men without getting prosecuted for it?
Post by The E   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:31 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:In other words, you can't refute any part of it, so you'll just pretend you did. And, again, there is nothing 'incoherent' except your failure to understand English. If you look up the definition of 'incoherent' you might at least avoid making that mistake again.

You're right, I can't refute it. Just like I can't refute the assertion that at the core of Saturn, there's a wheel of Camembert. Or the assertion that the most intelligent being on the planet is a sloth in the guatemalan jungle. I can't refute it, because it is utterly disconnected from reality; You hear me say "I am a communist", and you immediately think that I must therefore be a Leninist/Stalinist/Maoist or that what I (and other modern communists) understand communism to be is exactly the same as what those people understood it to be.

I agree with some people about some things, and disagree with them about other things. You can't understand that. You can't make any distinctions because all the people who disagree with you are exactly the same in every way. (That is an example of sarcasm.)

Says the person who thinks that communism means exactly one thing.

We can't get known felonious illegal aliens deported, and you believe U.S. citizens are being 'accidentally' deported? What are you smoking over there in Europe?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... ed-n943486
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... as-citizen
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... e-deported
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/pa4 ... n-citizens
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/in ... ann_a.html
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lawsuit-clai ... igrant-man

I dunno, you tell me.

Spewing hate speech at straight white men without getting prosecuted for it?

Oh, you mean the same priviledge white supremacists enjoy right now?
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:05 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Annachie wrote:The Forbes article is an opinion piece by a known fairly right wing professor writing about the University he works at.

Rather than address the.problems that lead to such situations as the non-white-male gym he'd rather demonstrate not only that there is a problem but that he's a part of the problem.

As I had never heard of that professor prior to reading his article (I'm a Brit, not a 'Murikan), I will concede that particular point. I do not have enough knowledge about him to make a valid comment regarding his leanings and/or philosophical outlook.

However, his comment was one part of a larger picture, one of many straws in the wind, as it were. American society does seem to be beginning to re-segregate itself, abandoning the concept of the melting pot for the idea of the salad bowl*.
I would like to add that a study showed that white liberals assume blacks are significantly less intelligent than they are with the implication that the white liberals are the ones fated to lead the blacks into a better future etc etc etc. This is a type of intellectual arrogance which often has very unfortunate outcomes (such as the Comité de salut public).
It will be interesting to see what happens, but said viewpoint will be firmly on this side of the pond.

*The problem with the salad bowl is what happens when the cucumber rejects the lettuce while the tomatoes declare holy war on the radishes as the peppers sulk off to the side... once it starts separating like that, no amount of diplomacy and/or pleading will get the vegetables working together again.
~~~~~~

Post by Daryl   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:58 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

For Imaginos, "Still bowing down before the altar of Big Government, I see. How about making private health care work better?"
Why? When all developed countries and some semi developed countries have excellent public health care systems, why introduce profit motivated organisations into the mix?
Post by The E   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:03 am

The E
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Well, Forbes did a pretty good article on it which can be found here.

I see the right-wing spin machine is doing its thing again:
The bitter struggle to break down racial distinctions in education lasted for decades, yet now universities are reintroducing segregation, making race the primary determinant of student participation in some activities, such as black student unions or race-based housing facilities.

Pearl-clutching over the existence of black student unions! What's next, complaining that only chess players get to join the chess club?

People will form groups over their commonalities. Having LGBT groups, or black groups, or even (gasp!) conservative groups on campus isn't anything bad.

I don't know how reliable the Daily Signal is, but they have an article on it.

The author of that article, bluntly, is a typical conservative idiot. He seems to believe that our culture is a reflection of some fundamental truths (like, "females are more people-centered than males"), when that is really not the case.

The Pluralist has a note on a racially-based educational course just here.

That entire article is about a single, day-long workshop. Be careful, if you clutch the pearls too hard, they'll break.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:18 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:I can't refute it, because it is utterly disconnected from reality

Have you never seen a history book? Or simply never felt any need to open one, and actually read the words printed therein, because you already knew everything?

You never heard of the Cold War? The Iron Curtain? The purges? The Gulag, and people dragged away in the night? The Berlin Wall, and the thousands of people murdered by the communists for trying to escape the Hell they’d made of East Germany? All those years the United States spent defending Europe from invasion?

I still remember the drills in elementary school, when we practiced evacuating to the basement fallout shelters.

And before you try to claim that those weren't 'real communists' — that was the communist regime established by your idols Lenin and Marx, after they destroyed an entire country to do it. Their poisonous ideology went on to destroy many other countries over the next forty years before it finally collapsed in failure and ruin.

The world has had enough of communism. I can't be sure that every communist experiment would turn out similarly, but those are the examples we have. A failure rate of 100%.

A whole lot of people feel the same way — particularly among those who had to live under communism — so communism would have to be imposed on them by force. Just the way it was done during the Cold War.

The E wrote:Oh, you mean the same priviledge white supremacists enjoy right now?

And they get prosecuted for it.

The E wrote:People will form groups over their commonalities. Having LGBT groups, or black groups, or even (gasp!) conservative groups on campus isn't anything bad.

Except that you can't have conservative groups on campus, or conservative speakers, because the oh-so-tolerant 'progressives' will have them banned as 'hate groups'. Why, they might disagree with the 'progressive' doctrine!
———————————
Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do remember history are doomed to watch everybody else repeat it.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:41 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Except that you can't have conservative groups on campus, or conservative speakers, because the oh-so-tolerant 'progressives' will have them banned as 'hate groups'. Why, they might disagree with the 'progressive' doctrine!
———————————
Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do remember history are doomed to watch everybody else repeat it.

One (white male) comedian caused a massive outcry a decade+ ago with the comment (IIRC) "If you're a one-legged, black, lesbian Muslim, then I want the same rights that you have."
If he repeated that comment today, I honestly believe that the left-wing extremists would start sending him powder-filled envelopes and attacking his family.

Ironic news story from a month or so ago, the Proud Boys were accused of being a Fascist White Supremacist Ethnic-cleansing-promulgating Hate Group... which had Black and Ethnic Minority members.
...what is this I don't even...
~~~~~~

Post by The E   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:49 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Have you never seen a history book? Or simply never felt any need to open one, and actually read the words printed therein, because you already knew everything?

You never heard of the Cold War? The Iron Curtain? The purges? The Gulag, and people dragged away in the night? The Berlin Wall, and the thousands of people murdered by the communists for trying to escape the Hell they’d made of East Germany? All those years the United States spent defending Europe from invasion?

I still remember the drills in elementary school, when we practiced evacuating to the basement fallout shelters.

And before you try to claim that those weren't 'real communists' — that was the communist regime established by your idols Lenin and Marx, after they destroyed an entire country to do it. Their poisonous ideology went on to destroy many other countries over the next forty years before it finally collapsed in failure and ruin.

The world has had enough of communism. I can't be sure that every communist experiment would turn out similarly, but those are the examples we have. A failure rate of 100%.

A whole lot of people feel the same way — particularly among those who had to live under communism — so communism would have to be imposed on them by force. Just the way it was done during the Cold War.

It's quite breathtaking how you can take one part of a statement I made, write this whole rant, and ignore the rest of what I said.

Here's a simple task for you: Find a single post in which I have claimed that soviet-style communism wasn't a failure. Find a single post in which I deny that that attempt at a communist revolution was misguided and flawed.

Then find a post in which I say that soviet-style communism is what I want.

Do it. Prove, conclusively, that anything I have said on this matter in these forums matches that. Not just in a "kinda if you squint hard enough" way, but in a way that would justify these incoherent and silly rants of yours against a strawman version of me or my beliefs.

And they get prosecuted for it.

Interesting. If you could now quote a statement by an LGBT activist that is in any way comparable to what white supremacists regularly spew forth, all while protected under your first amendment, it would be much appreciated.

Return to Politics