Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by Annachie   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

One of the TV talking heads down here described the President's Stock Market tweet as "cryptic"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:Trump wanted a soviet-style military parade for his inauguration

But yeah, it's us who are deranged when we point out his tendencies towards autocracy....

Actually, a parade like those in the notorious dictatorship of France.
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Trump just accused the stock market of making a big mistake by going down this last week. Directly. In a tweet.

The stock market. Like THE MARKET did it to personally spite him or something.

Actual quote of tweet "In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!"

In general, when most of the financial commentators discuss the stock market, they often refer to its inexplicable behavior at times. He's simply expressing confusion regarding weird market behavior. I heard several commentators say essentially the same thing, but in slightly less dramatic fashion. Of course to those not familiar with economy speak (i.e. most of America) it sounds like gobbly gook. Trump's comment is at least understandable to the average citizen.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Except the US stock market's behaviour was not inexplicable.

A big drop has been expected for months.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am

The E
Admiral

Trump is such an amazing dealmaker, you wouldn't believe.

Like, your party controls both houses already. Why can't you get a majority from people who nominally support you?

Oh, right, it's because you're an incompetent liar.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Okay, I've just done some research. In the House of Representatives, the Republicans have 238 of the 435 seats (control of 218 plus a buffer of 20) while in the Senate, they have 51 of the 100 seats giving them a majority there too, albeit a slim one.

Some of the Republicans must have either voted against their nominal leader or simply abstained in order for it to go against him.

Out of interest, anyone know how many of the Representatives and Senators are RINOs (Republican In Name Only) and how many are DINOs (Democrats In Name Only)? It would be interesting to see the breakdowns in question since if there are more RINOs than DINOs, the balance of power might have swung because of that.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 am

The E
Admiral

I'm also really curious how he thinks he's going to get people to vote republican when his approval rating is this abysmal.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:44 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Okay, I've just done some research. In the House of Representatives, the Republicans have 238 of the 435 seats (control of 218 plus a buffer of 20) while in the Senate, they have 51 of the 100 seats giving them a majority there too, albeit a slim one.

True, but it takes 60 votes in the Senate to make them shut up and vote on the thing. 41 obstructionists can hold any bill hostage forever.
———————————
A politician is worse than a toilet. They're both full of shit — but at least you can flush the toilet.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:09 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Trump just accused the stock market of making a big mistake by going down this last week. Directly. In a tweet.

The stock market. Like THE MARKET did it to personally spite him or something.

Actual quote of tweet "In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!"

In general, when most of the financial commentators discuss the stock market, they often refer to its inexplicable behavior at times. He's simply expressing confusion regarding weird market behavior. I heard several commentators say essentially the same thing, but in slightly less dramatic fashion. Of course to those not familiar with economy speak (i.e. most of America) it sounds like gobbly gook. Trump's comment is at least understandable to the average citizen.

You know, your habit of "translating" Trump speak into something rational that he didn't actually say never seems to be diminishing.

More "seriously but not literally" interpretations of Trump pronouncements, which really means "ignore what he said and just assume he meant something that made sense."
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:19 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Okay, I've just done some research. In the House of Representatives, the Republicans have 238 of the 435 seats (control of 218 plus a buffer of 20) while in the Senate, they have 51 of the 100 seats giving them a majority there too, albeit a slim one.

True, but it takes 60 votes in the Senate to make them shut up and vote on the thing. 41 obstructionists can hold any bill hostage forever.
———————————
A politician is worse than a toilet. They're both full of shit — but at least you can flush the toilet.

Can, but until recent history didn;t. It was regarded as a serious measure to be deployed only when issues of exceptionally great importance were at stake.

Until the Republicans weaponized it, threw all Senate tradition out the window, and decided to use it to block *everything* they simply did not like. Particularly the second Obama became President when they started obliterating all former records for use of the filibuster. Sabotaging the ability of Congress to actually govern with anything short of a supermajority.

Return to Politics