Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Starsaber wrote:No, but I trust big corporations about as much as you trust the government. Deregulating just stacks profit margin on top of the already existing costs.

Not to mention downstreaming the costs of deregulation: pollution clean up, costs to the health system, public and corporate, of the cancers, etc. from the toxic waste.

And, no I haven't voted for or against any federal taxes, but I have voted for and against my US representatives and Senators in every election since 1972. I have also voted for and sometimes against taxes and tax levies on the state and local level. Pisses me off that Republican legislators eschew their duty to act in the public interest by fobbing off tax votes to the referendum process. "Don't be mad at me, I never voted for the tax thing. Its those tax-and-spend Democrats.

And I'm pissed at them 9Democrats) too for treating their party like a Phi Delta Theta kegger.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by The E   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 am

The E
Admiral

Here's a quick comparison between a compassionate leader and a Trump:

This is Obama, after meeting for hours with parents of Sandy Hook victims, in 2012:

Here's a Trumpet, after spending 14 minutes with survivors at a hospital:
Post by The E   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 am

The E
Admiral

You literally can't make up the shit this idiot president is doing.

Trump says: We should arm teachers.
Media reports "Trump says that we should arm teachers"

Trump: "I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers, a lot, would now be able to"

"....immediately fire back if a savage sicko came to a school with bad intentions. Highly trained teachers would also serve as a deterrent to the cowards that do this. Far more assets at much less cost than guards. A “gun free” school is a magnet for bad people. ATTACKS WOULD END!"

"....History shows that a school shooting lasts, on average, 3 minutes. It takes police & first responders approximately 5 to 8 minutes to get to site of crime. Highly trained, gun adept, teachers/coaches would solve the problem instantly, before police arrive. GREAT DETERRENT!"

"....If a potential “sicko shooter” knows that a school has a large number of very weapons talented teachers (and others) who will be instantly shooting, the sicko will NEVER attack that school. Cowards won’t go there...problem solved. Must be offensive, defense alone won’t work!"

...So yeah, he said that teachers should be armed. But don't listen to fake news, I guess?

I wonder though, how much money is he going to pump into the education budget to pay for all the gun training teachers are going to need? After all, we're not just talking about basic firearms proficiency here, we're talking about teachers being able to stay extremely cool under an unimaginable amount of pressure, being able to take targeted shots at the idiot who's trying to murder the children in their charge without endangering said children and able to distinguish between the actual criminals and "helpful" bystanders.

This is something police forces or military forces barely manage; I'm pretty sure that teachers, even with prior police or military experience, can't do it reliably enough to make this a good idea.

And then you come to the question of what will happen when, inevitably, one of those armed teachers shoots one of his students in error because said student looked like a threat.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Speaking to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, Trump said: ‘I’m hearing more and more people seeing the level of violence in video games is really shaping young people’s thoughts ‘
'And then you go the further step, and that’s the movies. You see these movies, and they’re so violent a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn’t involved, but killing is involved, and maybe we need to put a rating system for that.'

:roll:
Talk about not having a clue, it's not like the US have had a rating system for movies the last half century and a rating system for video games the last 25 years that was adopted and enforced by the developers themselves.

And the link between real world violence and violent movies and games doesn't actually exist.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Speaking to Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, Trump said: ‘I’m hearing more and more people seeing the level of violence in video games is really shaping young people’s thoughts ‘
'And then you go the further step, and that’s the movies. You see these movies, and they’re so violent a kid is able to see the movie if sex isn’t involved, but killing is involved, and maybe we need to put a rating system for that.'

:roll:
Talk about not having a clue, it's not like the US have had a rating system for movies the last half century and a rating system for video games the last 25 years that was adopted and enforced by the developers themselves.

And the link between real world violence and violent movies and games doesn't actually exist.

There was a shooting at a mall in Portland, Or a few Christmases ago. Several armed shoppers were present. None of them started shooting back because ... they never had a clear shot what with the crowd panicking. And then the cops showed up and who wants to be a target for the cops?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

President Five Deferments... Commander In Chief Bone Spurs... just claimed he would have run into that school unarmed to take on the shooter with the AR.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:President Five Deferments... Commander In Chief Bone Spurs... just claimed he would have run into that school unarmed to take on the shooter with the AR.

Ladies and gentlemen, it would seem that we have our latest test subject for a demonstration of Practical Darwinianism...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

From a news site:

"Using a pseudonymous YouTube account, the head of Victoria Police's ethical standards body wrote sexually explicit material too extreme to publish here."

The head of the ethical standards unit.

Sheesh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Joat42   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Annachie wrote:From a news site:

"Using a pseudonymous YouTube account, the head of Victoria Police's ethical standards body wrote sexually explicit material too extreme to publish here."

The head of the ethical standards unit.

Sheesh.

Can you explain to me what the problem is?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

As a general rule your head of ethical standards should have some ethical standards.

They shouldn't be making racist, or sexist, comments in a public forum.
Especially, if reports are to be believed, about fellow serving police officers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics