Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by biochem   » Wed May 24, 2017 9:11 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Apparently Trump's new budget proposal has a 2 TRILLION dollar math error in it that makes it claim to balance the budget when it doesn't actually come close.

I can't even act surprised. Basically they blew a 2 Trillion dollar hole in the nation's finances with their proposal and either didn't even notice, or were trying not to have anyone else notice.

This was supposed to be the economic genius president... RIGHT? I mean, if we believe Trump supporters anyway?

Good word choice from the left for persuasion. Outside the left, it's being referred to as an "accounting trick", which is the usual way the media refers to these sorts of gimmicks.

Math error - implies stupidity
Accounting Trick - implies cleverness

Different word choices when refering to the same exact thing lead to different emotional responses.

I'm not surprised by this. Every president uses accounting tricks of one type or another to make their budgets look better than they are. It's a problem and a big one at that since it contributes to our national debt problem, but it's not a Trump specific one.

Every single candidate would have done this or something similar, with the possible exception of Bernie who is more honest than the usual politician. Although he may well have been persuaded by an ends justify the means arguement from his staff.
Post by noblehunter   » Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Most politicians wouldn't try and hide $2 trillion in an "accounting trick."
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 24, 2017 11:27 am

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:Apparently Trump's new budget proposal has a 2 TRILLION dollar math error in it that makes it claim to balance the budget when it doesn't actually come close.

I can't even act surprised. Basically they blew a 2 Trillion dollar hole in the nation's finances with their proposal and either didn't even notice, or were trying not to have anyone else notice.

This was supposed to be the economic genius president... RIGHT? I mean, if we believe Trump supporters anyway?

Good word choice from the left for persuasion. Outside the left, it's being referred to as an "accounting trick", which is the usual way the media refers to these sorts of gimmicks.

Math error - implies stupidity
Accounting Trick - implies cleverness

Different word choices when refering to the same exact thing lead to different emotional responses.

I'm not surprised by this. Every president uses accounting tricks of one type or another to make their budgets look better than they are. It's a problem and a big one at that since it contributes to our national debt problem, but it's not a Trump specific one.

Every single candidate would have done this or something similar, with the possible exception of Bernie who is more honest than the usual politician. Although he may well have been persuaded by an ends justify the means arguement from his staff.

Except it's not an "accounting trick" it's an ERROR. They double counted 2 trillion dollars. Or if they did it on purpose as you seem to be alleging here, it is fraud.

They declared they were going to massively slash taxes. Then they declared the tax cut would be revenue neutral because the economic growth induced would generate an additional 2 trillion in revenue cancelling out the 2 trillion in lost receipts from the rate cut.

So now that 2 trillion dollar economic stimulus they're claiming will occur? (Which, btw, has never happened in the HISTORY of tax cuts, there has not once ever been a tax cut that generated so much economic growth it paid for itself and they have provided ZERO rationale for why it's suddenly magically going to happen this time but let's just pretend we're not aware of that right now). Anyway, that 2 trillion is spoken for. It paid for the tax cuts. Now it's gone, and we're back to square one with the same deficit we have right now.

Then they claim "Hey, we generated 2 trillion dollars in increased receipts, and that will balance our current deficit! Budget balanced!"

Umm, no. You don't just get to use the same (*highly implausible*) 2 trillion dollars for 2 different things. If you spent it on one thing it's freaking gone.

But nice attempted spin. The bottom line is using their own incredibly unrealistically optimistic assumptions this budget would still have wiped out the US Treasury and completely bankrupted the country.

If you're ok with shrugging that off as some kind of "business as usual accounting trick" I do not know how to discuss this rationally with you. It's TWO TRILLION DOLLARS. That's over 10% of the total GDP of the entire United States. 30% of the revenue for the entire US government. Not some unpaid for pork line item to finance some sports arena in some congressman's home district or something.
Post by ksandgren   » Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Trump doesn't like being second at anything. His fraud of a budget proposal is just an attempt to outdo Madoff's Ponzi scheme without going to jail for 20 years or more.
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Trump just turned a Cabinet Meeting into a "let's go around the table and have everyone say something nice about me for the cameras" session.

A Cabinet Meeting.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/trump-ma ... g-him.html

When is he going to start asking them all to call him Dear Leader ffs...
Post by dscott8   » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am

dscott8
Commodore

gcomeau wrote:Trump just turned a Cabinet Meeting into a "let's go around the table and have everyone say something nice about me for the cameras" session.

A Cabinet Meeting.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/trump-ma ... g-him.html

When is he going to start asking them all to call him Dear Leader ffs...

Instead of demanding personal "loyalty" in private, he's made them all commit in public, lashing themselves to the mast of his sinking ship. There's no going back for these sycophants. We're about to see a public conflict over allegiance to the person of the President versus allegiance to the nation and the Constitution. The cult of personality is serving up the Kool-Aid.
Post by biochem   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

I don't know if those of you in other countries are getting this news. But one of those deranged Resist Trump people tried to assassinate the Republican House Majority leader today. Fortunately, he was a bad shot and didn't manage to kill anyone. The majority leader is in surgery.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I thought the majority leader hurt a knee diving into a dugout?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

biochem wrote:I don't know if those of you in other countries are getting this news. But one of those deranged Resist Trump people tried to assassinate the Republican House Majority leader today. Fortunately, he was a bad shot and didn't manage to kill anyone. The majority leader is in surgery.

Correction it is the House majority whip not the House majority leader (the whip is the 2nd in command). He is currently critical and in intensive care.

Several other individuals were also injured one also critically.
Post by Eyal   » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:50 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:I thought the majority leader hurt a knee diving into a dugout?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shot in the hip.

Hopefully no-one else* will die of this.

*The shooter was killed

Return to Politics