Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by The E   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am

The E
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
biochem wrote:1. Trump isn't great but he isn't nearly as bad as the leftist mainstream media is alleging

Yes Obama was much worse. And Clinton would have been a disaster.

Oh, my bad, I must've missed Obama and Clinton lying about everything from the trivial to the complex. I must've missed them mixing incompetency with callousness to the extent that Trump does in everything from organizing disaster relief to paying respect to fallen servicemembers. I must've missed them disclaiming responsibility for their inability to make their policies work. I must've missed them using twitter messages at zero dark o'clock to set policy (or threaten to set policy, at any rate). I must've missed them failing to make appointments to critical positions. I must've missed them fucking off to a golf course they owned every weekend.

Yeah, sure, it's total overexaggeration to say that the Trumpet is the worst president in history. It's all liberal bias, because how could it be wrong to destroy health care so that billionaires can get a fatter paycheck? How could it be wrong to reinforce institutional discrimination against non-white, non-heterosexual, non-christian people?

biochem wrote:2. This actually is more reflective of dissatisfaction with the Republican establishment than love of Trump.

You know, Republicans used to be the people who were crowing on and on about how they're the ones promoting personal responsibility. For all the hypocrisy inherent in that, it was at least something of a moral stance; Now, they are the people who go "fuck it, let's burn it all down in the name of lesser taxes, who cares if we elect liars, cheaters and frauds to lead us as long as we get a greater piece of the pie". Go protest against the "establishment" as much as you want, but that doesn't absolve you of the responsibility for your actions. You elected Trump. The chaos he causes, the damage he does, the wounds he inflicts? Those are all on you.

You know, it's fascinating. A good part of Germany claimed, after WW2, that they were totally unaware of what the Nazis would do once in power. That they only voted for them because they wanted to stick it to the establishment. Well, guess what: That wasn't an excuse then, and it isn't an excuse now. You knew that Trump would be a disaster. You knew he was an idiot, fraud and cheater. You knew he couldn't be trusted. You only cared that he made the right noises about keeping the foreigners out, bringing the jobs back, cutting the taxes and letting you have all the guns in the world. Anyone who voted for Trump is despicable in my book, not worthy of common human decency for they have shown to not have the moral backbone required to earn it.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am

gcomeau
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
biochem wrote:1. Trump isn't great but he isn't nearly as bad as the leftist mainstream media is alleging

Yes Obama was much worse. And Clinton would have been a disaster.

I'm trying to decide if that is just really really really really really dry sarcasm or if something that delusional actually got typed by someone who meant it.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Trump thinks the truth is a popularity contest.

He has been corrected about 1000 times on the US being the highest taxed nation in the world. It is not. It is not even close. There is no debate on this. But he just keeps saying it over and over and over and over like nobody has ever told him he's wrong.

He was challenged on it AGAIN yesterday by a reporter since he just keeps saying it. His response?

"Many people think I'm right".

Note he did not actually defend the claim on the merits. He didn't even attempt to provide any justification for the claim being true. This is an OBJECTIVE measure, is one number higher than another number... not a matter of opinion you take a poll on to see which answer is most popular. Ether the US is the highest taxed nation or it isn't. AND IT ISN'T. It's not second. It's not third. It's not fourth. It's not 8th. It's not 10th... it's nowhere NEAR the top end of the scale even.

And this is not the only time he has done this. That is an almost cliche answer from him at this point, when challenged on the factuality of claims he is making he does not even try to defend them he just says "many people think I'm right".

That's the thing he cares about. Are enough people buying his bullshit. That's it. And it is one thing if some random con man on the street has that attitude but this guy is guiding NATIONAL POLICY using these fantasy land claims as justification for them.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:Yes Obama was much worse. And Clinton would have been a disaster.

gcomeau wrote:I'm trying to decide if that is just really really really really really dry sarcasm or if something that delusional actually got typed by someone who meant it.

All I will say is, if you pay attention to my posts, you might figure out which it is. Of course my wife of [coughcough]years claims she still has trouble telling when I'm serious and when I'm really^5 teasing.
Last edited by pappilon on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:Trump thinks the truth is a popularity contest.

He has been corrected about 1000 times on the US being the highest taxed nation in the world. It is not. It is not even close. There is no debate on this. But he just keeps saying it over and over and over and over like nobody has ever told him he's wrong.

He was challenged on it AGAIN yesterday by a reporter since he just keeps saying it. His response?

"Many people think I'm right".

Note he did not actually defend the claim on the merits. He didn't even attempt to provide any justification for the claim being true. This is an OBJECTIVE measure, is one number higher than another number... not a matter of opinion you take a poll on to see which answer is most popular. Ether the US is the highest taxed nation or it isn't. AND IT ISN'T. It's not second. It's not third. It's not fourth. It's not 8th. It's not 10th... it's nowhere NEAR the top end of the scale even.

And this is not the only time he has done this. That is an almost cliche answer from him at this point, when challenged on the factuality of claims he is making he does not even try to defend them he just says "many people think I'm right".

That's the thing he cares about. Are enough people buying his bullshit. That's it. And it is one thing if some random con man on the street has that attitude but this guy is guiding NATIONAL POLICY using these fantasy land claims as justification for them.

All he cares about is pandering to his base. Some Nazi Propaganda Minister once commented during his trial at Nuremburg was something along the lines of *Repeat a lie often enough and people believe it. The simple truth is that this sort of propaganda is effective because it is simple, and it works equally well for any form of government*

Perception becomes political reality. Create the perception that those at the bottom 25% are being overtaxed (well we are)and they will demand a tax cut that puts $425 into their pocket even as congress slashes the safety net thus costing them $3500 in benefits.

Trump may be everything you say he is (I will not exchange opinions). He is a master manipulator who can fool some of the people all the time. Just another example/instance of the Nazi Propaganda theory at work through trump.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

No more cars made in Australia?

What's really up, down under?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Ditched by a right wing government to gain a trade agreement with China and Japan.

Ironically, the car industry was around $80 mill a year in subsidies, the same government is offering up a billion to a coal mine that the banks wont touch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by gcomeau   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

There are quotes from the Republican Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, talking about the current sitting Republican President, in an on the record nationally televised interview.

"Unfortunately I think world leaders are very aware that much of what he says is untrue. Certainly people here are, because these things are provably untrue. I mean, they’re just factually incorrect and people know the difference. So I don’t know why he lowers himself to such a low, low standard and debases our country in the way that he does, but he does."

"I think that the things that are happening right now that are harmful to our nation, whether it’s the breaking down of… we’re gonna be doing some hearings on some of the things that he purposely is breaking down the relationships we have around the world that have been useful to our nation. But I think at the end of the day when his term is over, I think the debasing of our nation, the constant non truth-telling, just the name calling, I think the debasement of our nation will be what he’ll be remembered most for, and that’s regretful."

"The president has great difficulty with the truth. On many issues."
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:35 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017 ... e-officers

The Senator in the clip is like this all the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017 ... e-officers

The Senator in the clip is like this all the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Politics