Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zyffyr and 12 guests

Stuff you just can't make up

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Stuff you just can't make up
Post by Joat42   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Joat42
Admiral

gcomeau wrote:..snip..
This is a circus, where the fiscal health of the entire country hangs in the balance.

Well, they are dead set on passing this because of trickle up economy but they sell it as trickle down economy.

When someone says trickle down economy works they are either too stupid to understand it or lying through their teeth. Records show that every time you introduce tax cuts for the rich and the corporations it invariably lead to a worse income inequality - which is kind of natural if you think about it.

If one looks at the different "tax reforms" that has been introduced in US since 1979 to 2005 for which trickle down economics was the basis, the 5th lowest incomes only increased 6% after tax but the 5th highest increased 80%. The top 1% increased their income 300%...

So, in other words, trickle up economy.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:48 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

The Senate bill has definately been a moving target. Note the last minute HANDWRITTEN alterations!!!! :shock: :lol: :roll:
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 am

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:The Senate bill has definately been a moving target. Note the last minute HANDWRITTEN alterations!!!! :shock: :lol: :roll:

Those handwritten alterations were transcribing instructions from lobbyists that shifted around BILLIONS of dollars worth of spending and revenue.

The night they forced a vote on it.

Without LETTING ANYONE READ IT ALL FIRST.

No analysis. No score on the alterations. No debate. No public hearing. And the score they did have said they were at least a Trillion short on their revenue claims to pay for it.

This from the group that screamed bloody murder about "recklessly rushing" the ACA through in only 8 months of hearings and debates.

There is no defending this. Not by any stretch of the imagination. They poured gasoline on every norm of the legislative process and danced around the bonfire for no reason except their big donors gave them orders to do it.
Post by biochem   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:59 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
biochem wrote:The Senate bill has definately been a moving target. Note the last minute HANDWRITTEN alterations!!!! :shock: :lol: :roll:

There is no defending this. Not by any stretch of the imagination. They poured gasoline on every norm of the legislative process and danced around the bonfire for no reason except their big donors gave them orders to do it.

:roll:

Good grief. You sound like my middle school drama queen daughter. Gasoline, seriously? Dramatic much?

NOT my preferred way to write a bill though. I've previously advocated here for some requirements regarding time to read bills before voting etc. But although considerably less than ideal, it's not the end of the world. These changes were discussed orally and the bill still has to go through reconciliation after which there will be another vote. This time without the last minute negotiations.
Post by biochem   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:07 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

Found it - in the governance reform Thread (sorry It's not the proper link to an old post but it will get you there)

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3748
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:26 am

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:There is no defending this. Not by any stretch of the imagination. They poured gasoline on every norm of the legislative process and danced around the bonfire for no reason except their big donors gave them orders to do it.

:roll:

Good grief. You sound like my middle school drama queen daughter. Gasoline, seriously? Dramatic much?

No. Really not.

Do you seriously not comprehend the scope and magnitude of the perversion of the legislative process that happened here? How GROSSLY out of line this was?
Post by biochem   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:46 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

gcomeau wrote:
No. Really not.

Do you seriously not comprehend the scope and magnitude of the perversion of the legislative process that happened here? How GROSSLY out of line this was?

It's not the first time.

Nancy Pelosi "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it." Obamacare 2010

Poor governance yes, but not the end of the world then and not the end of the world now.
Post by gcomeau   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 am

gcomeau
Admiral

biochem wrote:
gcomeau wrote:
No. Really not.

It's not the first time.

Nancy Pelosi "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it." Obamacare 2010

Poor governance yes, but not the end of the world then and not the end of the world now.

Yes the first time. There has never been anything like this inflicted on the Senate.

Obamacare was in public hearings after the bill came out of committee for MONTHS before they voted on it. Dozens of public hearings. Extensive expert analysis of the effects of the specific language in revision after revision. Full, proper CBO scoring.

This bill had ZERO public hearings. ZERO debate. ZERO analysis of the actual final text... and the analysis of the original preliminary text said all the claims its authors were making about its deficit impact were a TRILLION dollars wrong. They called for the vote the same day they were writing it in a secret backroom committee.

That quote is taken WAY out of context to even attempt to imply these situations have the remotest similarity.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

I can see that the current "We have no idea what we're voting on" bill is... shall we say considerably less than optimum in almost every single respect, but given Trump's previous performances, I doubt it well get through Congress without being ripped apart.
Even if it does get through, I doubt that America will go the way of Venezuela (total societal/economic implosion) or Zimbabwe (endemic corruption/widespread starvation), so while it may cause a Depression and panic in government, I don't think America will actually collapse.

And if America does collapse, well, we can always simply abrogate the Declaration of Independence and bring it into the United Kingdom.
;) :lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics