Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

How could political procedures be improved?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: How could political procedures be improved?
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Eyal wrote:
I should note that over here in Israel - and AFAIK this is the case in most of the first world - we don't have to register at all. There's a database where you get entered at birth and removed at death, and if you're of the appropriate age you can vote (although you need to show ID).

The "obvious" way to do it...

2) It's more complicated in the US because you have circumstances where someone can lose the right to vote.

It´s a stupid addition, no reason to keep it.

*Note we don't have absentee or early voting, which is a drawback but not an inherent one.

Not at all? Because that´s kinda has quite a lot of potential to mess things up.

The country's small size makes it easier, of course, but given modern technology I don't see a reason why it can't scale up.

Here we have everything from dense urban population, all the way to areas where it´s literally miles between houses.

And the system here has been working fine since the 50s, with only minor changes over time needed.

Size, population or population density is just a matter of scale.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote::Ots of ways to change the system yet the important question still remains: How to improve it. Will change improve it or merely swap one set of issues for another? ...

In the case of USA, your system simply does NOT work(outdated, heavily partisan, way too easy to rig, undemocratic etc etc), so any changes based on mimicking many common practises in Europe and elsewhere are likely to improve matters. Only real question being by how much.

Of course, it wouldn´t surprise the slightest if someone managed to drag such an improvement to USA, and then went and mangled it so badly in the process that it makes the system even worse. :?
Post by Eyal   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Tenshinai wrote:
Eyal wrote:*Note we don't have absentee or early voting, which is a drawback but not an inherent one.

Not at all? Because that´s kinda has quite a lot of potential to mess things up.

I was oversimplifying.

Absentee voting is restricted to certain populations: soldiers, diplomats, hospital patients/staff, prisoners, and a few others. Polls are set up at the relevant locations where they can vote regardless of their actual place of residence.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Eyal wrote:
I was oversimplifying.

Absentee voting is restricted to certain populations: soldiers, diplomats, hospital patients/staff, prisoners, and a few others. Polls are set up at the relevant locations where they can vote regardless of their actual place of residence.

NZ has everyone able to absentee vote/mail in vote. you just grab a form ahead of time if you know you will be away, or show proof of id (photo id plus proof of residence id) to electoral official, fill out ballot, and get it sealed and signed as yours. 2 forms of id witnessed, plus 2 witnesses of form filling to certify you filled out absentee form before voting to certify you did vote there. multiple checkpoints against fraud.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I think the mechanics of American elections need to be dragged to a federal agency to run.
A bipartisan committee, with a retired federal judge to run it.
One type of voting, either machine or paper, a couple of centralized locations to operate out of.

That sort of thing.

At the moment the system in America seems chaotic.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by biochem   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:57 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:
At the moment the system in America seems chaotic.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Actually a lot of this chaos was ruled unconstitutional in bush v gore 2000. One of the things that the Supreme Court ruled is that florida's county by county variation in election law was unconstitutional because it violated the equal protection clause of the constitution. If anyone bothered to enforce it.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:13 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Its a zero sum game. Every seat in congress and each state legislature won by one party is lost by the other. There is every incentive to cheat. There is no penalty for being caught cheating. Voter dilution, voter suppression, voting roll purging, all the ways the party in power tries to maintain its control.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Politics