Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Get the "I Voted" sticker!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Get the "I Voted" sticker!
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

dscott8 wrote:This is not a thread for advocating your candidate. This is a thread for your thoughts on voting and your experiences in doing so.

I believe it's every citizen's duty to vote. The law doesn't make it mandatory, but I still believe that it is a patriotic imperative. Less than 300 years ago, the idea of every common citizen having a say in government was considered ridiculous, but then people got tired of the "better classes" taking advantage and they fought for the vote. The idea spread because it was fairer and worked better than monarchies, dictatorships and theocracies. Blood was shed so that we could walk into that voting booth, and we should honor that sacrifice by doing the research on candidates and issues, and voting intelligently and for the good of the nation.

I have been voting since the early 1970s. I've heard people say it doesn't matter, that the average guy always gets screwed. Those people should be ashamed. Yes, getting elected reps to enact the will of the people is difficult, but did we become the wonderful nation that we are by dodging the tough stuff?

For those of you who can vote in the USA, tomorrow is the deadline. You may have voted early; good on you! If you haven't, get out there tomorrow and vote.

My wife and I voted (absentee) three (3) weeks ago when our ballots came in the mail. We filled out our choices and I delivered them to the County Register Office personally the same day... Then we ignored all the mailers that went right into the shredder....
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:And don't even get me started on the unfairness of the electoral college! Ironic that it is even called a college, giving colleges a bad name.

Which would you rather have:

The President of California, New York, and Texas?

OR

The President of all 50 states?

With the way it works, I should ask you that.

Let's say that two candidates are running neck and neck. 224 and 221 electoral votes respectively. The two states remaining, CA and TX, are to decide the winner.

Let's say Candidate A receives 20,000,000 of CA votes and Candidate B receives 19,999,999. Well Candidate A will receive all of California's 55 electoral votes.

Well, Candidate B happens to take TX (and all of its 27M votes) by a landslide. No matter. Candidate B will only receive its 38 electoral votes. Two dissenting voters in CA can determine the Presidency, when overall, Candidate B has garnered the most votes of the country as a whole. The people didn't elect Candidate A, the college did.

Unfair.

So I ask you the same question. Do you want the President of all 50 states as elected by the people, or by the state of CA?

On another rant, why should it be possible that someone living in another state can have as much as 50+ % more voting power than I?

Last edited by cthia on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:31 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

dscott8 wrote:This voting-related story discusses the legality of carrying a firearm at the polling place:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/07/politics/ ... index.html

The actual answer is "it depends" on a jambalaya of state & local regulations, like so many other issues surrounding weapons carry.

Can you bring your firearm to the polling place? ANSWER only if it is registered to vote and has a valid ID :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dagnabbit!! I should have planned ahead. I could have taken a selfie of me being photobombed by my S&W while sucking down a Black Butte Porter. Then I could have posted it to my Facebook page. Well ... maybe next time.

Oregon is motor-voter. You get your REAL ID and registered to vote at the same time. Vote by mail or by drop box. No lines, no fake exit pollers or voter intimidation. No "oops you're not registered." If you didn't get your ballot by OCT 20 call the courthouse. Got mine one Thursday dropped it off following Monday.

My first election was 1972, Biggest mistake of my political life: I voted for Nixon.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:58 am

dscott8
Commodore

One heartening thing about my experience was that every time a first-time voter showed up, the poll workers led a cheer.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Let's say that two candidates are running neck and neck. 224 and 221 electoral votes respectively. The two states remaining, CA and TX, are to decide the winner.

More often, it is a small state that is the swing votes in the Electoral college.

But the whole point of the Electoral College is that Alaska and Wyoming and other low-population, rural states deserve a voice in choosing the President and Vice President. Without the electoral college, The margin of victory in the popular vote in New York City, Dallas/Fort Worth, or Los Angeles can be greater than the entire population of several small states. That would skew the presidential selection to the interests of the large population centers and ignore the interests of the predominately rural states.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Politics