Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Get the "I Voted" sticker!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Get the "I Voted" sticker!
Post by dscott8   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

dscott8
Commodore

This is not a thread for advocating your candidate. This is a thread for your thoughts on voting and your experiences in doing so.

I believe it's every citizen's duty to vote. The law doesn't make it mandatory, but I still believe that it is a patriotic imperative. Less than 300 years ago, the idea of every common citizen having a say in government was considered ridiculous, but then people got tired of the "better classes" taking advantage and they fought for the vote. The idea spread because it was fairer and worked better than monarchies, dictatorships and theocracies. Blood was shed so that we could walk into that voting booth, and we should honor that sacrifice by doing the research on candidates and issues, and voting intelligently and for the good of the nation.

I have been voting since the early 1970s. I've heard people say it doesn't matter, that the average guy always gets screwed. Those people should be ashamed. Yes, getting elected reps to enact the will of the people is difficult, but did we become the wonderful nation that we are by dodging the tough stuff?

For those of you who can vote in the USA, tomorrow is the deadline. You may have voted early; good on you! If you haven't, get out there tomorrow and vote.
Re: Get the "I Voted" sticker!
Post by Annachie   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hell, I wouldn't mind getting one.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by dscott8   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 am

dscott8
Commodore

This voting-related story discusses the legality of carrying a firearm at the polling place:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/07/politics/ ... index.html

The actual answer is "it depends" on a jambalaya of state & local regulations, like so many other issues surrounding weapons carry.
Post by dscott8   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:46 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Just got back from voting. No long lines, one of the benefits of small town living. When you go, please remember to thank volunteer poll workers.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

I voted at 1000 this morning on my way to the Senior Center
where this Public Access Computer is.

Because this SC is also a Polling Place, it will be open late
tonight, until the Polls close at 2000.

HTM, Pointy-Headed Liberal, with her, and her too.

dscott8 wrote:Just got back from voting. No long lines, one of the benefits of small town living. When you go, please remember to thank volunteer poll workers.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

If you don't vote you lose the right to complain. If lots of people don't vote you lose all your rights.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have voted every single year since I was eligible except once when I was out of the country and that fiasco with absentee voting occurred. I won't trust that system ever again.

I'm terribly upset with some of this country's voting laws and practices. Some of them are archaic, desperately in need of change, and just don't fit a truly democratic system. For instance, same day registration should be mandated in all states. Having to be registered for a full 30 days prior to voting in today's internet age is ridiculous. The onus of registering voters should be taken off of the shoulders of the voters and placed where it belongs, on the government. But the government as a whole doesn't care about registering the 35 % of Americans that are unregistered to vote.

And what about losing your right to vote because you recently moved and can't because the paperwork lags. Or clerical errors cost you your right to do so. And another thing, the voter ID requirement was an embarrassing fiasco. I'm registered and I had to have proper ID to do so. But now that I've lost my ID, misplaced it, had it stolen just before election or whatever I can no longer vote? Please!

And don't even get me started on the unfairness of the electoral college! Ironic that it is even called a college, giving colleges a bad name.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

The Electoral College was invented,
to keep people similar to Trump out of the office.
Really!

The State Legislatures would choose the most politically aware
people, who would sort through the most statesmenlike men in
their own, and possibly neighboring, states, and send the Best
Choices to the House of Representatives for Final Sorting.
Of course, those Electors would refuse to consider any (boo!
hiss!) demagogues.

Madison & Co never considered that the Candidates might be
the ones selecting the Electors!

By The Way, a "college" is simply a group of people selected
to do a single thing. It might be to Learn, or to Teach,
but there could also be a college of Guides, or Pilots,
or even a college of Enforcers.
In Fact, that was what the Roman "College of Lictors" was!

HTM, begging cthia's pardon for the Latin Lesson

cthia wrote:
And don't even get me started on the unfairness of the electoral college! Ironic that it is even called a college, giving colleges a bad name.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:The Electoral College was invented,
to keep people similar to Trump out of the office.
Really!

The State Legislatures would choose the most politically aware
people, who would sort through the most statesmenlike men in
their own, and possibly neighboring, states, and send the Best
Choices to the House of Representatives for Final Sorting.
Of course, those Electors would refuse to consider any (boo!
hiss!) demagogues.

Madison & Co never considered that the Candidates might be
the ones selecting the Electors!

By The Way, a "college" is simply a group of people selected
to do a single thing. It might be to Learn, or to Teach,
but there could also be a college of Guides, or Pilots,
or even a college of Enforcers.
In Fact, that was what the Roman "College of Lictors" was!

HTM, begging cthia's pardon for the Latin Lesson

cthia wrote:

I was being facetious. But no need apologizing for the lesson, as I'm sure it was done in good faith.

I hate that it even has college in its name, the abortion that it is. Damn unfair abortion at that.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And don't even get me started on the unfairness of the electoral college! Ironic that it is even called a college, giving colleges a bad name.

Which would you rather have:

The President of California, New York, and Texas?

OR

The President of all 50 states?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Politics