Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Running for President...

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Running for President...
Post by RedBaron   » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm

RedBaron

The question is simple - if YOU were to run for President of the U.S., what things would you hope/try to accomplish if you won?
Re: Running for President...
Post by smr   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:48 am

smr
Vice Admiral

1. Fix the student loan program
2. Bring back Special Prosecutors; Have Both parties submit a list of candidates for 6 years (unpaid unless selected)
3. Campaign financing reform: no Pac's and no donations bigger than $5000
4. Enact tariffs on countries that continually manipulate currency markets or devalue the currency
5. Rebuild the military
6. Illegal for corporations to employ illegal aliens
7. Fix immigration
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:54 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

1A. Return to the original wordage meaning of the US Constitution.

1) Comprehensive plan to reduce Federal spending 5% per year for 8 years, with a follow up plan to eventually reduce the Federal budget to 25% to 33% of what it is today.

2) Return most of what the feds do now to the several states.

3) Gradually eliminate the Federal Income Tax.

4) Gradually get the Federal government out of everything and anything not specifically addressed in the US Constitution.

5) Downsize and modernize completely the US Military. Perhaps eliminate the US Air Force and return such todays functions to the other military branches.

Try to return to a 250 ship navy? Very small ships. Very modern. Small crews. Gradually eliminate the big carriers. Go to many more very small carriers. Exploit tech.

They who lose control of the seaways and oceans lose their nation.

6) Require Federal service to earn the right to vote. Doable many ways. Also a citizen needs to pay federal taxes to vote in federal elections.

7) Let me think a bit. :) This is just a starting summary off the top of my feeble head. Bed time in SW Oregon. :)

Sorry for grammour and speelling. Tired. :)
Post by Daryl   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:46 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

HB your country and your say.
From an outsider, I'd generally do the opposite of what you recommend (just as well I don't get a say?). However as Obama has found being President means little when you don't control both houses.

HB of CJ wrote:1A. Return to the original wordage meaning of the US Constitution.

1) Comprehensive plan to reduce Federal spending 5% per year for 8 years, with a follow up plan to eventually reduce the Federal budget to 25% to 33% of what it is today.

2) Return most of what the feds do now to the several states.

3) Gradually eliminate the Federal Income Tax.

4) Gradually get the Federal government out of everything and anything not specifically addressed in the US Constitution.

5) Downsize and modernize completely the US Military. Perhaps eliminate the US Air Force and return such todays functions to the other military branches.

Try to return to a 250 ship navy? Very small ships. Very modern. Small crews. Gradually eliminate the big carriers. Go to many more very small carriers. Exploit tech.

They who lose control of the seaways and oceans lose their nation.

6) Require Federal service to earn the right to vote. Doable many ways. Also a citizen needs to pay federal taxes to vote in federal elections.

7) Let me think a bit. :) This is just a starting summary off the top of my feeble head. Bed time in SW Oregon. :)

Sorry for grammour and speelling. Tired. :)
Post by Annachie   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

HB. 1a and 5 are incompatable.
As is 3 and the second part of 6.
Much as I hate to say it, removal of big carriers is also incompatable with the stated purpose.

You could argue both ways on the airforce. Especially as space superiority will no doubt become a thing in years to come.

I'd argue against 2, but then I think my arguement would be that based on full faith etc, and there are ways to meet both. (Feds should be setting minmum standards for things issued in one state but may be presented/used in any state, like a drivers license)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by dscott8   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:20 am

dscott8
Commodore

Support research into alternative energy. so we could lose our dependence on petroleum and thus have no reason to keep interfering in the Middle East.

Promote space exploration as an international effort.

Give a 5 year income tax break to interracial marriages, so that over time the gaps between racial groups will be bridged by family ties.

Establish a national standard firearm owner's permit with thorough background check and requirements for training in safety, legality and tactics for personal defense.

Overhaul education with a focus on consistent quality in all communities, logic, ethics and practical knowledge.

Give the Department of Commerce extended powers to prosecute predatory & fraudulent business practices. Require all phone providers to offer a customer selectable "telemarketer blocking" option.

Require that any riders or amendments to legislation must address the central topic of the original legislation, and authorize line-item vetoes.

Tie the minimum wage to the cost of a "market basket" of consumer goods.

Everyone gets ice cream!
Post by noblehunter   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

I assume you mean become President and Congress does whatever it's told.

Implement single payer healthcare (probably as a mandate to the States, but it might need to amend the Constitution to get the authority)

Speaking of the Constitution, amend it so that the Commerce Clause returns to a restrictive statement rather than expansive one; severely restrict the scope of eminent domain; clarify what the 2nd amendment means in a modern context (and for my next trick: cold fusion!).

Push for a framework to delegate federal powers and programs to multi-state associations.

Provide incentives for education funding to be separated from property taxes.

Kill the debt ceiling.

Create a comprehensive program to deal with both the push and pull factors influencing illegal immigration.

If Brexit makes the UK turn into a post-apocalyptic wasteland, allow and support unlimited migration from the UK.

Electoral reform: kill the Electoral College (oops, more amending but on the plus side Hell would be able to start an ice export business); place harder limits on campaign spending and political donations; encourage states to remove party influence over elections and re-districting
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Any candidate making claims that anything is ‘free’ because it’s paid for by the government is permanently barred from ever holding any public office on grounds of incurable stupidity.

Phase out the government student loan program. It’s a giveaway to the colleges, and an excuse for them to raise tuition through the roof. Who cares if college costs $150,000 a year - just borrow it and don’t pay it back.

Eliminate the Federal Department Of Education. After spending over 1.4 TRILLION dollars in 40 years, it has accomplished absolutely nothing. Education is not one bit better today than it was back in the 1960’s and 1970’s. Arguably, it’s worse.

While we’re at it, break the government school monopoly.

Find out if we really need ‘School Boards’. We got about a dozen of ‘em here in San Diego and nobody can tell me what they do. Private schools don’t have ‘em. As far as I can tell they are just overpaid bureaucratic deadwood.

Eliminate all government employee unions. If they want a raise they can come to us, the taxpayers, and ask for it.

End the practice of politicians giving themselves pay raises. If they want a raise, put it on the ballot and try to convince us they’re worth it.

Eliminate most payments from the federal government to state and local governments. Don’t take the money from them to begin with. Huge source of corruption.

Institute a tax of 0.2% to 1% on every stock transaction, paid by the seller, to eliminate high-frequency trading. Tax options and derivatives at 2%.

PROSECUTE naked short-sellers. The laws are there, but never enforced.

Phase out incentives for employer-paid medical insurance. It has distorted the market so it’s almost impossible to get insurance any other way. Get laid off, start looking for a job AND outrageously expensive insurance when you, duuuh, don’t have any income.

Immediately deport any illegal alien caught committing a non-violent crime. Prosecute violent ones. If the prosecutors don’t think they can convict, deport ‘em. THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE HERE!!

Stop caving every time that North Korean nut-job throws a tantrum. Anybody who’s ever dealt with a spoiled child knows better than to reward the behavior. Is our entire State Department run by idiots? Never mind, don’t answer that one.

Tell the president of Mexico to fix his broken-ass country and stop blaming all his problems on us.
Post by The E   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:32 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Immediately deport any illegal alien caught committing a non-violent crime. Prosecute violent ones. If the prosecutors don’t think they can convict, deport ‘em. THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE HERE!!

Interesting. So, if the prosecutors think that their case isn't strong enough to hold up in court, the defendant should be treated as guilty?

That is certainly a novel legal theory you have there. Would you want it applied to yourself too, or is it just those dirty foreigners?
Post by Daryl   » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

If the prosecutors don't think they can convict, then they have not been caught committing a non-violent crime. Just been accused of doing so.
The E wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Immediately deport any illegal alien caught committing a non-violent crime. Prosecute violent ones. If the prosecutors don’t think they can convict, deport ‘em. THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE HERE!!

Interesting. So, if the prosecutors think that their case isn't strong enough to hold up in court, the defendant should be treated as guilty?

That is certainly a novel legal theory you have there. Would you want it applied to yourself too, or is it just those dirty foreigners?

Return to Politics