Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Duckk said take Mrs Clinton\not in jail here.

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Duckk said take Mrs Clinton\not in jail here.
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:OR the 'experts' have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, preventing their failures from being exposed, and hanging on to their cushy positions and fat salaries.

Ah, the conspiracy theory response. A conservatives favorite.

:roll:

Do you even know any educators???? My sister is one, don't ever say the above to her the ensuing fit of laughter might kill her and I rather like her.

What could it possibly hurt to allow parents to send their children to the least wretched of the government-run schools?

Ok, you want to walk through it?

Let's say we have a sample town, with say 5000 kids in it.

There are currently 10 schools in this town, each serving about 500 of those kids. Some are in more prime locations than others. some have some really great teachers. Some are in brand new buildings with the latest facilities. Some, aren't. But there are broadly held opinions about which are the most desirable schools and like 90% of the town favors about 3 of those schools.

You open the floodgates. Every parent in town can send their kid to any school they feel like.

What happens first?
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Do you even know any educators???? My sister is one, don't ever say the above to her the ensuing fit of laughter might kill her and I rather like her.

Having ended up with 5 relatives as teachers, yeah i must agree.

##########

Some folks are missing the underlying motive behind conservatives' support of vouchers. Their goal is to channel tax dollars into religious indoctrination. Religious organizations will use their tax-free revenues to supplement voucher funding, resulting in more $$$ per student than non-religious schools. These religious schools will be teaching "creation science" (in quotes because it's not science) and Dominionist theology. This is an end run around the First Amendment's Establishment clause, and the reason why Christian Dominionist zealot Betsy DeVos was chosen as Secretary of Education, and Jerry Falwell Jr. is Trump's "Education Adviser".

The next generation of young Americans will be split into two demographics. They will be products of either theocratic training camps or of an underfunded public school system left to wither and die.

Oh i´m not missing THAT part of it, it´s just that the same arguments were used HERE to get it pushed through despite the religious fools being a tiny speck of a minority here, so it´s not just them, but they´re definitely exploiting the rightwing obsession with "choice".

And yes, there´s a definite risk that you will be proven correct. However there´s also the third group, that which one way or another ends up with a decent education DESPITE the system.
The real problem is that that group will shrink a lot faster if this idiocy is introduced.

Because, amazing surprise, the religious nutjobs exploited the voucher thing here when it was introduced, and there´s a LOT more overwatch into how schools do education here, to do creationism or something other stupid, they have to literally trick that overwatch, in USA, the overwatch barely even exists, and the requirements and standards are so weak that it would be almost no work at all to ignore whatever they wish.
Post by biochem   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 am

biochem
Rear Admiral

The parents in DC are more concerned with their kids being able to read etc than with the relative merits of creation science (or the lack thereof). Unfortunately they are being forced to listen to a bunch of self-involved politicians pontificate while said politicians send their kids to elite private schools. Basically the politicians are saying you peasants must send your children to abysmal schools because of the possibility of fill in the ideological argument of the day, of course my own children are too valuable to be sacrificed for the cause and will be attending an excellent private school.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:10 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

I wish vouchers had anything at all to do with children getting educated ... or not. Its pure politics. Follow the money. No not the obvious money, the political money. Public schools use public school teachers. Public school teachers form unions. Unions contribute toDemocrats. Destroy public schools, destroy Teacher unions. Destroy unions, deprive your rival of funds.

I guess you can wrap it up in whatever BS you choose, repeat the BS often enough and people believe it. Hitler proved it.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:I wish vouchers had anything at all to do with children getting educated ... or not. Its pure politics. Follow the money. No not the obvious money, the political money. Public schools use public school teachers. Public school teachers form unions. Unions contribute toDemocrats. Destroy public schools, destroy Teacher unions. Destroy unions, deprive your rival of funds.

I guess you can wrap it up in whatever BS you choose, repeat the BS often enough and people believe it. Hitler proved it.

Bullshit. There´s zero difference in whether teachers in public or private schools are in unions here.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:51 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:
WeirdlyWired wrote:I wish vouchers had anything at all to do with children getting educated ... or not. Its pure politics. Follow the money. No not the obvious money, the political money. Public schools use public school teachers. Public school teachers form unions. Unions contribute toDemocrats. Destroy public schools, destroy Teacher unions. Destroy unions, deprive your rival of funds.

Bullshit. There´s zero difference in whether teachers in public or private schools are in unions here.

And you're in ... Sweden. Perhaps it is not a question of bashing your politial opponent in Sweden, it isexactly that issue here. Schools, Post Office. Back to the 1980s it was the Air traffic Controllers.

I apologize for linking your system to my own.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

WeirdlyWired wrote:
And you're in ... Sweden. Perhaps it is not a question of bashing your politial opponent in Sweden, it isexactly that issue here. Schools, Post Office. Back to the 1980s it was the Air traffic Controllers.

I apologize for linking your system to my own.

There´s also near zero difference in whether teachers were in unions before or after vouchers were introduced here.
Post by Eyal   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

Post by ksandgren   » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

I agree with the irony, but that was as a state (Indiana)politico, not the federal government. However, Sessions Russian contacts and lying about them to the committee under oath is so representative of the Sessions who condemned Hilary and anyone else for misstatements or outright lies.

Return to Politics