Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Islam the religion of peace?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Islam the religion of peace?
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Simple rule is no religious expression outside the privacy of the home or Church or commune. If your Sihk friend needs to cover his hair have him wear a hat. Women who need to cover up can wear a headscarf and sunglasses. You do as the country you visit does. Here we don't wear a burqa. In Iran American tourists don't wear bikini's. Want to wear a cross keep it hidden in your shirt. etc...

While fashion changes ... The black ghost costume is never in style.

Islam might have ideals but the problem is with the extremists. If Islam actively policed itself, then it might be okay. It does not. 1.6 billion and only 100 million are extremists. Thinking Skittles right now.

And here we have yet another example of someone so caught up in hate that they can't think straight.

Why do you want to police what people are wearing? Why do you care? Why is someone wearing a burqa or a turban offensive to you?

Outlawing articles of clothing is not going to make anyone more willing to integrate into a society, especially not one in which freedom of religion and freedom of speech are, ostensibly, core values.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am

BobfromSydney
Commander

The French beach police fining women for wearing Islamic swimsuits is not a constructive approach.

Ultimately inclusion and meeting people partway are going to be essential elements for dealing with racism, social inclusion and terrorism.

The whole basis for modern democratic government is a degree of secularism and the primacy of human rights. People should be free to practice their religion to the limit of causing harm to others or violating other's rights. I believe that this includes the right's of children too. So if someone's religion e.g. Fundamentalist Christianity or Scientology etc. instructs that life saving prescription medication be withheld from dependent minors then I think that's a case of negligence if it's put into practice. But wearing religious costume or iconography (within reason) should be permitted by society.

When people of all races and creeds feel like are part of the same society and they agree to share its values then it is very hard to radicalise and recruit members of that society to conduct terrorism. It's harder for extremist outsiders to find a venue to share their hate, it's harder for radicalised people to find aid and shelter and it's much more likely that information will be shared with the authorities by neighbours, acquaintances and family members to prevent terrorist acts.

Skimper: What harm does it do to you or other people if a Sikh wears a head covering? Or a Muslim woman wears a burqa? Would it be okay with you for a Catholic to wear a Rosary or a Crucifix?
Post by dscott8   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:53 am

dscott8
Commodore

There is no such thing as a religion of peace. The first thing religion does is divide the world into "Us" (the custodians of the one and only unquestionable truth) and "Them" (the evil heretics who want to drag everyone into their web of sin). The first problem with religions is that you cannot debate them rationally, because they are not founded on rational premises. This also makes them great platforms for the power-hungry to exercise social control, which is why there is no religion that actually practises what it preaches. Instead, they are tools of political power and control. They indoctrinate from childhood, and impose sanctions for something as innocuous as playing with kids of another faith. They claim control of marriage, exacting conformity with doctrine as the price of a license to fuck. They demand a lifetime of financial contributions, money which could be better spent educating children so they'd be less likely to subscribe to their superstitious doctrines. They consistently impede scientific progress, because science has debunked their doctrines one by one. They interfere with laws and governments, trying to impose their beliefs on others. They have used the excuse of bringing the faith to the poor benighted heathens to invade and dominate other countries and cultures. Worst of all, throughout history they have called time and again for "holy wars", littering history with piles of corpses who didn't believe in the "right" god.

There is no "religion of peace".
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:28 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Regarding the Burqa issue...
:twisted: ACTIVATING TROLL MODE :twisted:
The Burqa is a truly fantastic piece of clothing as it hides the sheer ugliness of the wearer under several layers of fabric. Said ugliness is the inevitable end result of the centuries of cousin-marriage inbreeding which has resulted in entire clans all looking exactly the same a la Rimmerworld.
The Burqa denotes that the wearer is not human but little more than the housekeeper/bedwarmer of the one who heads the family.
In addition, those who insist on females wearing the Burqa do so because they themselves are incredibly deficient in things like self-control. If even a glimpse of an ankle can turn them from generally-sentient males into rampaging rapists incapable of thinking with anything above their waists, then it is indeed obvious the Burqa is required in order to counter their proven intellectual weakness and give them a chance, however small, of maintaining something approaching civilization.

:twisted: DEACTIVATING TROLL MODE :twisted:
I personally view the Burka as being something designed to remove women from the view of males, thus reducing interaction between genders and thus mutual understanding/respect. If you check the Koran, there is no requirement in it for a woman to be fully veiled from sight, only for her to wear at the minimum "a veil across the bosom and a veil around the hips", meaning that shorts and T-shirt fulfill that requirement.

dscott8 wrote:There is no such thing as a religion of peace.
--SNIP--

...I have yet to hear of a war launched by followers of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (May He bring you joy in his noodley appendages)...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by dscott8   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Michael Everett wrote:
dscott8 wrote:There is no such thing as a religion of peace.
--SNIP--

...I have yet to hear of a war launched by followers of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (May He bring you joy in his noodley appendages)...

Which makes my point. The only peaceful "religion" you can name is a parody, founded to oppose the teaching of "intelligent design" nonsense.
Post by BobfromSydney   » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:07 pm

BobfromSydney
Commander

dscott8 wrote:There is no such thing as a religion of peace. The first thing religion does is divide the world into "Us" (the custodians of the one and only unquestionable truth) and "Them" (the evil heretics who want to drag everyone into their web of sin). The first problem with religions is that you cannot debate them rationally, because they are not founded on rational premises. This also makes them great platforms for the power-hungry to exercise social control, which is why there is no religion that actually practises what it preaches. Instead, they are tools of political power and control. They indoctrinate from childhood, and impose sanctions for something as innocuous as playing with kids of another faith. They claim control of marriage, exacting conformity with doctrine as the price of a license to fuck. They demand a lifetime of financial contributions, money which could be better spent educating children so they'd be less likely to subscribe to their superstitious doctrines. They consistently impede scientific progress, because science has debunked their doctrines one by one. They interfere with laws and governments, trying to impose their beliefs on others. They have used the excuse of bringing the faith to the poor benighted heathens to invade and dominate other countries and cultures. Worst of all, throughout history they have called time and again for "holy wars", littering history with piles of corpses who didn't believe in the "right" god.

There is no "religion of peace".

What you said makes a lot of sense.

I think a lot of religious people would make a counter-argument by quoting parts of their own teachings that promote peace.

What you seem to be arguing is that historically and socio-politically religions are a destabilising factor that catalyse conflicts and persecution of 'non-conformists/infidels'.

The elimination of religions in our lifetimes (or within any realistically useful timeframe, if we are to be honest) isn't possible. I feel that those who are scientifically/humanistically minded need to engage with religious people in a constructive manner to minimise harm and build a consensus for working for the common good.

I will restate my question. Rather than ask whether Islam can be a religion of peace, I suppose it's better to ask whether Islam can be a religion that is compatible with modern democratic institutions. I will point out that I'm not sure at this point whether Christianity meets that criteria either (based on the behaviour of the most politically vocal/violent Christians).
Post by dscott8   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 am

dscott8
Commodore

BobfromSydney wrote:What you said makes a lot of sense.

I think a lot of religious people would make a counter-argument by quoting parts of their own teachings that promote peace.

But as I said, they don't practice what they preach. Just about all religions lay claim to a message of peace and love, but they all seem to find "sinners" to hate, and they constantly inject their agenda into politics. The rank and file believers, most of whom would be naturally inclined toward kindness and peace, take their direction from the leaders, who are all about power.

BobfromSydney wrote:What you seem to be arguing is that historically and socio-politically religions are a destabilising factor that catalyse conflicts and persecution of 'non-conformists/infidels'.

The elimination of religions in our lifetimes (or within any realistically useful timeframe, if we are to be honest) isn't possible. I feel that those who are scientifically/humanistically minded need to engage with religious people in a constructive manner to minimise harm and build a consensus for working for the common good.

That's exactly what I'm arguing. Religion as a tool to power. But I am not arguing for its "elimination" by any direct action. Instead, I advocate a complete and total separation of church and state, and education in logic (so kids can learn why religion has no valid basis) and nonsectarian ethics (so we can have a "moral compass" that does not rely on the revelations of an imaginary deity).

BobfromSydney wrote:I will restate my question. Rather than ask whether Islam can be a religion of peace, I suppose it's better to ask whether Islam can be a religion that is compatible with modern democratic institutions. I will point out that I'm not sure at this point whether Christianity meets that criteria either (based on the behaviour of the most politically vocal/violent Christians).

There are plenty of people in modern democratic states who practice Islam without wanting to enforce it on the entire world. Same goes for other religions. The problem comes when religions try to expand their ranks by any means other than persuasion of individuals. Some religions are used as an excuse for violence, some try to get their own tenets written into law, which is complex because many modern law codes came into being when religions were de facto governments. We don't need a holy book to tell us that we shouldn't rob, rape and murder our neighbors, but because those ideas were in those holy books, religions claim law as their own intellectual property, and assume the right to add in the rest of their requirements and restrictions. That's how you wind up with ritual beheadings and mutilation of infants' genitals and people waving "GOD HATES FAGS" placards at the funerals of soldiers killed in action.

So long as religion provides an arbitrary, unfounded excuse to claim superiority and force itself on others, there will be no peace.
Post by RedBaron   » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:24 am

RedBaron

pokermind wrote:You think the twentieth century dictators were bad check out the death toll of Muhammad's thugs, and they are still adding victims :shock:

http://nocompulsion.com/the-greatest-murder-machine-in-history-the-real-non-politically-correct-history-of-islams-brutality/

Poker

Ask yourself.... WHERE did they learn it from?
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:14 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

RedBaron wrote:
pokermind wrote:You think the twentieth century dictators were bad check out the death toll of Muhammad's thugs, and they are still adding victims :shock:

http://nocompulsion.com/the-greatest-murder-machine-in-history-the-real-non-politically-correct-history-of-islams-brutality/

Poker

Ask yourself.... WHERE did they learn it from?

Religion, government, and economic system are the supposed three pillars of society. What we have here is the collision of two intolerant societies having two intolerant religions. Buddhism nd Hunduism are two "tolerant religions" whose societies fight back when threatened.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

dscott8 wrote:Worst of all, throughout history they have called time and again for "holy wars", littering history with piles of corpses who didn't believe in the "right" god.

Or those who did believe in the 'right' god, but disagreed about what he wanted.
-----------------
It takes two to make peace. It only takes one to make war.

Return to Politics