Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Tyranny or Freedom?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Tyranny or Freedom?
Post by DDHv   » Mon May 16, 2016 6:52 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

http://personalliberty.com/take-the-5th ... t-a-trial/

Unpleasant to know, but choosing an intellectual "Safe Space" only means that you get blindsided later
:evil:

Worth reading:

http://ashbrook.org/publications/onprin-v1n3-thompson/

:|

Also worth reading:

http://personalliberty.com/business-gro ... -insanity/

The idea about evaluating the outcome of regulations should also be extended to laws. It would be nice if every law started with a one paragraph summary of what it is intended to accomplish, and was followed up by studies to see if it does that or if the unintended consequences are overwhelming
:!:
Last edited by DDHv on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Re: Tyranny or Freedom?
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

DDHv wrote:http://personalliberty.com/take-the-5th-and-risk-life-imprisonment-without-a-trial/

Unpleasant to know, but choosing an intellectual "Safe Space" only means that you get blindsided later
:evil:

I ran a fact check and see this has been in the news in Philadelphia quite a bit...

Looks like another example of the trampling of our constitutional rights and denial of due process...

When GW Bush was seeing terrorist under every bed and congress was screaming for the ability to open every-bodies eMail I remembered the words of Ben Franklin “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” but that does not seem to be the case with the man in this story so... where do we go from here??
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:When GW Bush was seeing terrorist under every bed and congress was screaming for the ability to open every-bodies eMail I remembered the words of Ben Franklin “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” but that does not seem to be the case with the man in this story so... where do we go from here??

But you don't get safety - only an illusion of safety - and the freedom you give up is very real.

Our enemies want to destroy our freedom. How can we fight them by giving it up?
-----------------
Terrorists and wacko nut-jobs can not destroy our way of life or change who we are - only we can do that. If we surrender to fear, if we give up our freedom for an illusion of security, we do to ourselves what all the world's wackos can only dream of doing.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed May 18, 2016 4:13 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:When GW Bush was seeing terrorist under every bed and congress was screaming for the ability to open every-bodies eMail I remembered the words of Ben Franklin “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” but that does not seem to be the case with the man in this story so... where do we go from here??

But you don't get safety - only an illusion of safety - and the freedom you give up is very real.

Our enemies want to destroy our freedom. How can we fight them by giving it up?
-----------------
Terrorists and wacko nut-jobs can not destroy our way of life or change who we are - only we can do that. If we surrender to fear, if we give up our freedom for an illusion of security, we do to ourselves what all the world's wackos can only dream of doing.

I agree with you... the illusion of security. How insidious that a war against a concept (terror) or a nebulous target (drugs) allows the enforcement agencies to move the target and expand the definition of victory.

What do you think any of us might do that could succeed to restore our constitutional rights?

The only thing more twisty than a can of worms is a multi term congressman...
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by DDHv   » Thu May 26, 2016 2:03 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Censorship is the refuge of the weak-minded (those who cannot defend their views) or the tyrannical (those who simply want to force submission and compliance).

:idea: A people gets blindsided when: they suppress free speech, OR when they don't test the speech they hear by reality.

If this is correct, it looks like many in our current culture will be blindsided both ways :lol:

I read a comment elsewhere in the blog that hunger is an unpleasant motivator. As one who has been there, and both of whose parents, who grew up in the 30s, have been there, it is also possible to state that it is an effective one, which for many persons strongly encourages improvement

They had enough tax dollars to waste on an idiotic $1.4 million iPad app that randomly points left or right; $3 million on more than 200 useless explosive detection "puffer" machines that didn't detect explosives reliably; and unknown gobs in awards and automatic bonuses to senior TSA managers at a time when the agency was repeatedly failing internal tests of its ability to stop weapons, bombs and terror threats.

This is about the TSA. Delta airlines made an experimental variation that increases flow - 30% the first day, expected to double with more practice. I wonder if the TSA will spread it, or complain about losing jobs. Reports are that TSA inspectors are failing a large percentage of tests for effectiveness. :shock: Now, if they would only do the work they were set up to do they might have job security
;)

Back in 2014, Obama's Commerce Department announced its intention to relinquish control over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the nonprofit organization that manages Internet names and addresses, as well as the technical means by which users connect to servers and websites across the Web.

They seem to be set on this also.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by DDHv on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

DDHv wrote:
Censorship is the refuge of the weak-minded (those who cannot defend their views) or the tyrannical (those who simply want to force submission and compliance).

:idea: A people gets blindsided when: they suppress free speech, OR when they don't test the speech they hear by reality.

If this is correct, it looks like many in our current culture will be blindsided both ways :lol:

I read a comment elsewhere in the blog that hunger is an unpleasant motivator. As one who has been there, and both of whose parents, who grew up in the 30s, have been there, it is also possible to state that it is an effective one, which for many persons strongly encourages improvement

Douglas... we also get blindsided when we refuse or fail to learn from the lessons of history... Neither of us felt the hunger pangs of others so... when our parents told us what life experiences they learned from we rolled our eyes and said yeah sure... I understand, May I have another slice of cake?
And today our government specializes in grid lock and says (with their actions if not their words) "Let them eat cake"
Now I know that the purist of historians will tell us that Marie Antoinette did not really say that, but we know that politics is all about perception and I think that history could repeat itself in a heartbeat... even with the exponential growth of black Kevlar in our federal law enforcement and the expansion of private heavily armed security forces (Black Water etc)... as well as the mind set in the "intelligence community" that they have the answer but they cannot tell us because it is classified.
I cannot build a deep enough shelter/bunker, nor fill it with enough protein bars... I don't know anyone who has come back fro the dead to tell me what is really over there so... I chose to live my own life and to treat others as if I might be welcomed in to a place prepared for me because I fed the hungry, visited the sick, helped cloth the naked and shelter the homeless... said thank you to the Veterans (even if I believed they served corrupt leaders in unjust cause) and turned the other cheek.
They can kill my body... they could even inflict pain for a long time but they cannot change my mind by putting a bullet through my brain.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by DDHv   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:41 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:
DDHv wrote:
snip

Douglas... we also get blindsided when we refuse or fail to learn from the lessons of history... Neither of us felt the hunger pangs of others so... when our parents told us what life experiences they learned from we rolled our eyes and said yeah sure... I understand, May I have another slice of cake?
And today our government specializes in grid lock and says (with their actions if not their words) "Let them eat cake"
Now I know that the purist of historians will tell us that Marie Antoinette did not really say that, but we know that politics is all about perception and I think that history could repeat itself in a heartbeat... even with the exponential growth of black Kevlar in our federal law enforcement and the expansion of private heavily armed security forces (Black Water etc)... as well as the mind set in the "intelligence community" that they have the answer but they cannot tell us because it is classified.
I cannot build a deep enough shelter/bunker, nor fill it with enough protein bars... I don't know anyone who has come back fro the dead to tell me what is really over there so... I chose to live my own life and to treat others as if I might be welcomed in to a place prepared for me because I fed the hungry, visited the sick, helped cloth the naked and shelter the homeless... said thank you to the Veterans (even if I believed they served corrupt leaders in unjust cause) and turned the other cheek.
They can kill my body... they could even inflict pain for a long time but they cannot change my mind by putting a bullet through my brain.

Right. Some of the bloggers won't like it, but I suggest reading "The Vision and Beyond." by Rev. David Wilkerson. The results at Teen Challenge are some evidence that he is worth getting our attention.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:37 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

"Last of all comes...the tyrant...In the early days of his power, he is full of smiles, and he salutes every one whom he meets...making promises in public and also in private, liberating debtors, and distributing land to the people and his followers, and wanting to be so kind and good to every one...This...is the root from which a tyrant springs;..."
Plato was right and each generation forgets the past or refuses to learn from history
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by DDHv   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:34 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:"Last of all comes...the tyrant...In the early days of his power, he is full of smiles, and he salutes every one whom he meets...making promises in public and also in private, liberating debtors, and distributing land to the people and his followers, and wanting to be so kind and good to every one...This...is the root from which a tyrant springs;..."
Plato was right and each generation forgets the past or refuses to learn from history

"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it." :lol: Source forgotten. I wonder which part of history we are going to be repeating. At least if we study history, we can TRY to repeat the better parts.

The bottom line is that social workers are not the supreme law of the land and sometimes exceed their authority for whatever reason, including the exertion of their own personal opinions.

http://constitution.com/social-worker-g ... schooling/

They suggest checking with a lawyer when it looks like a social worker is being a tyrant

http://personalliberty.com/sarasota-wid ... d-culture/

Property taxes and requirements for pre-approval of repairs and the use of pre-approved contractors are anathema to the notion of property rights. They just mean you own your property with conditions – conditions with which if you don’t comply your property can be taken from you. In other words, you don’t own it. You just possess it as long as you pay the king’s ransom or don’t run afoul of some arbitrarily-imposed “rules.”

:(

To read: http://www.becketfundcommunity.org/emai ... 9e10e535a8

History is still going on, and we can learn from current history also, if we don't wish to be ignorant

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomasso ... sletterad=

That is not the "eternal vigilance" required to preserve freedom. It is the widespread apathy and gullibility which accepts the coming of tyranny on the instalment plan.

When the two leading candidates for POTUS are a criminal and a demagogue, you know there is widespread apathy and gullibility
:cry:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by DDHv   » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:46 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

http://personalliberty.com/reasons-glob ... ined-lose/

To break this down even further to the level of pure mathematics, I recommend research into Kurt Godel and his Incompleteness Proof. This, I believe is the ultimate example of the elites struggling against the fact of unknown quantities and failing.

I ran into Godel's work about two decades back. IIRC, he provided a mathematical proof that any model cannot be a complete model of the process.

This suggests that unexpected consequences of actions must always happen.

Also from the above:

Now, why was an elitist like Russell who openly championed scientific dictatorship so concerned by Godel? Well, because Godel, in mathematical terms, destroyed the very core of the globalist ideology. He proved that the globalist aspirations of godhood would never be realized. There are limits to the knowledge of man, and limits to what he can control. This is not something globalists can ever accept, for if they did, every effort they have made for decades would be pointless.

If this argument is correct, it suggests that the best society would be adaptive toward good goals, rather than controlled using models. A licentious society would have poor goals, a tyrannical one would be using control. A society with liberty would have good goals, but use creativity rather than force to produce results.

The map is not the territory. It can, however be useful as long as the limits are respected.

I remember that when farming, we got the straightest rows by aiming toward some far away object, rather than by making adjustments while looking at the next row. This might be similar
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Return to Politics