Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Negative Interest

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Negative Interest
Post by DDHv   » Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:What you are seeing the decreased utility of currency as a means of storing wealth. It's utility for transferring wealth remains but monetary shanagins have made it simply awful to actually save wealth using currency. Better to store wealth in bonds, stock certificates and precious metals.

Gold is preferred because its uses do not consume it or transform it into something that may not be easily transported. Jewelry's value for storing easily transportable wealth is similar. Because this is true, gold has served us well as both a currency and a means to store wealth. Land is more useful but requires immobility to harvest its value. Copper and steel require skills to transform into something useful.

snip

:!:
[/quote]

Gold has value as currency, and a little bit as jewelry. Silver has value as currency, and a number of industrial uses. However the value of either as currency depends primarily in the storing and/or transporting of value. Real wealth is food such as potatoes; shelter, whether house or tepee; and other things with utility. However, many of these are either things that spoil or are not easily transported. The primary purpose of currency is to make trading easier than barter, the secondary one is to provide an accepted symbol for value storage or transport. What is used for money only matters in that it must be acceptable.

PS. In Venezuala, due to a new government policy, beer is no longer made locally. The people there have put up with a lot of other things from the government, but I wonder?

Whenever you encounter a business model that’s insane, you can be sure that government is involved.

Perhaps because an insane business model wrecks the business, but given a glib enough tongue, not the politician until the final blow up
:?:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Annachie   » Thu May 12, 2016 6:15 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

HB, my wife says she loves your bug out bags :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Thu May 12, 2016 8:04 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

An interesting currency is rum. During the early days of Australia's settlement (1808) rum became a medium of exchange or barter. Anyone wanting a laugh should Google Rum Rebellion and find how the Governor (Captain Bligh ex Bounty) was arrested and deposed by the troops when he high handedly tried to stop the importation of spirits.
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri May 13, 2016 12:18 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I am glad your wife likes our Zombie and Wildfire Vehicle 5 to 7 day inclusive Bug Out Bags. BOB(V)WF. She can help us move them around. Too heavy! Mostly warm clothing and a way to say dry in our wet, (80 inches plus rainfall!) snowy winters and mostly water and insect protection during our hot, (sometimes over 110F) summers.

W. Bligh was supposed to be the only Naval Officer who was mutinied against three, (3) times? Wow. Quite a character? We drank up the cheap dark rum first. Yumm yumm, rum, rum. The bug out bags are getting more expensive to outfit. Creeping inflation is here. The Government tries their best to cover this up. What about food prices? Yikes! :)

I also think too much but nothing comes to mind. :)

Return to Politics