Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Are high minimum wages ethical?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Are high minimum wages ethical?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri May 06, 2016 9:40 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I can see those multinationals gaming this credit to further reduce taxes, but to do that they have to locate manufacturing capacity here in the US. The more effective our regulatory reform policy, the more jobs come back.

What I truly wish is for that sort of tax benefit to fuel small and midsized manufacturers to start in the rust belt and give many in our inner cities a way to earn their own livelihoods. Nothing is so soul crushing as to be totally dependent on others for one's living. Either that or turning into a predator and engaging in crime.

biochem wrote:It is certainly worth a try. We do know the multinational companies are tax sensitive, locating themselves in Ireland etc to avoid taxes. So it is logical that they would seriously consider taking advantage of this tax break. If they don't take advantage of such a good tax deal, we may need combine it with some regulatory reform as well. Not all of the expenses in employing US workers are direct, the Obamacare mess is one example. There are others.

On the revenue side, there probably won't be much loss to the government. These guys are dodging taxes anyway, so we wouldn't actually lose revenue. This would just give them a tax dodge that actually benefits people. We probably will even come out ahead - not having to pay so much in welfare and "disability" etc. plus the money from individual income tax of the US based employees plus secondary effects. They have a job therefore they can afford to spend money in the local economies etc.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri May 06, 2016 9:51 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Well, money is fungible. The wage itself may be increased if expenses elsewhere are reduced to generate the same return. Is it better to have an increased wage, but pay lower business/corporate taxes? Is it better to keep taxes higher but lower the minimum wage? Adjusting the levels each is set to, the return to the business can be made to be the same.

It all boils down to the purpose of our public policy. Too often that policy is about controlling the behavior of the private sector to serve political goals rather than for the benefit of the private citizen. So long as those goals don't change, government intervention will continue to generate dodgy results at best.

DDHv wrote:
Yes. They also employ a larger proportion of beginning workers.

I'm officially retired (at some years after 65 - problem finding someone who could do the work), but am still called back at times when they get stuck with something. The last time was this month. While I was working, the owner-boss was talking to someone on a nearby phone. He was discussing how it was hard to find people who would make it their business to consistently do the work they were hired to do. Often he needed to fill in for someone who didn't. Yes, a small business. He started as a laborer there, decades back. He has a number of skilled workers, who get much higher pay, but can also be relied on to do more than the unskilled labor. Whenever possible, he promotes from within - someone who has both learned how to do the more difficult work, and is also experienced in the company is worth more.

When just out of my school, things were slow and, partly because of lack of experience, it wasn't possible to find work fitting my training. Going back to the ranch was possible, but didn't fit my interests. Still single, it was possible to live on very low income. Later, given work experience and better economic conditions, that changed.

The real minimum wage is zero - when you can't find work. The basic question here is how to arrange for new workers to get experience without killing the businesses. It looks like different cultures have various methods, as is to be expected. One problem is that some don't balance these needs: in the USA, many of the governments which tried to provide people's wants and needs from taxation are having very bad financial problems. I assume everyone knows the story about killing the golden goose?

Double entry bookkeeping, done right, shows a balance of value going one direction against value going the other way. We pays our money, and gets our goods; the seller loses inventory, but to survive must get enough to replenish it after expenses.

Should an understanding of the basic principles of double entry (as opposed to just skill in doing it) be a requirement for public office
:?:
Post by PeterZ   » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I think this post truly frames the underlying practical question. Is the 2.5% of the working population making minimum wage better off working and learning the skills necessary to make more than the minimum wage or are they better off unemployed?

These are the jobs on the margin. They pay so little because the do not generate sufficient return to the business. If the minimum wage is increased, the business would hire a more productive staff. People who can do multiple jobs that had previously paid minimum wage.

Movie theaters will see some procedures that would reduce the number of ticket takers. Perhaps, double up the concessions sales and taking tickets. Maybe automating the ticket validation process. McDonald's is experimenting with a more fully automated kitchen and point of sale system. They new system would employ far fewer people and those that are employed would have to have sufficient skills to be much more productive. The new positions pay more, but there are fewer of them.

Ps. That 2.5% consists of 1.2% below 25 years old who are learning skills and 1.2% 25 years old and older who either haven't learned sufficient skills or are troubled/handicapped in some way. It is more effective to address the specific problems of that 1.2% of the adult working population than to simply mandate that everyone be paid more whether they have the skills to earn that increased pay or not.

thinkstoomuch wrote:Peter's comments over in Presidential candidates made me go look.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/08/who-makes-minimum-wage/ wrote:Perhaps surprisingly, not very many people earn minimum wage, and they make up a smaller share of the workforce than they used to. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.

In 2013 total employees was 144 million. or about 2.5%.

Another interesting quote from the above article.

People at or below the federal minimum are:

Disproportionately young: 50.4% are ages 16 to 24; 24% are teenagers (ages 16 to 19).

Mostly (77%) white; nearly half are white women.

Largely part-time workers (64% of the total).

Actually it makes a good read with lots of caveats. Fairly short read though.

As an example went looking around the BLS website.

Picked the lowest wage for FL. Where the minimum wage is $8.05.

39-3031 Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers

Leads to this table.http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes393031.htm

We shall see how the table shows here.

Percentile | 10% | 25% | 50% (Median) | 75% | 90%
Hourly Wage | $8.05 | $8.61 | $9.22 | $10.75 | $14.00
Annual Wage (2) | $16,730 | $17,910 | $19,180 | $22,360 | $29,110

For what it is worth,
T2M
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Fri May 06, 2016 1:14 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I think this post truly frames the underlying practical question. Is the 2.5% of the working population making minimum wage better off working and learning the skills necessary to make more than the minimum wage or are they better off unemployed?

These are the jobs on the margin. They pay so little because the do not generate sufficient return to the business. If the minimum wage is increased, the business would hire a more productive staff. People who can do multiple jobs that had previously paid minimum wage.

Movie theaters will see some procedures that would reduce the number of ticket takers. Perhaps, double up the concessions sales and taking tickets. Maybe automating the ticket validation process. McDonald's is experimenting with a more fully automated kitchen and point of sale system. They new system would employ far fewer people and those that are employed would have to have sufficient skills to be much more productive. The new positions pay more, but there are fewer of them.

Ps. That 2.5% consists of 1.2% below 25 years old who are learning skills and 1.2% 25 years old and older who either haven't learned sufficient skills or are troubled/handicapped in some way. It is more effective to address the specific problems of that 1.2% of the adult working population than to simply mandate that everyone be paid more whether they have the skills to earn that increased pay or not.

Something didn't seem right so I went and reexamined the data. The chart I posted was for the US. Which meant for that information the minimum wage was $7.25 in some areas not $8.05 as I posted.

But if you want some fun.

http://data.bls.gov/oes/search.jsp?data_tool=OES Data from May 2015 only option available. Our bureaucrats have way to much time on their hands! There are three different area selections that include Seattle in the title. I just picked one.

Area name
|| Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA || Spokane-Spokane Valley WA
Employment(1) || 2920 || 160
Employment percent relative standard error(3) 5.2 22.3
Hourly mean wage || 13.25 || 18.41
Annual mean wage(2) || 27550 || 38300
Wage percent relative standard error(3) 4.5 6.7
Hourly 10th percentile wage || 9.78 || 9.61
Hourly 25th percentile wage || 10.68 || 14.98
Hourly median wage || 12.47 || 20.22
Hourly 75th percentile wage || 15.71 || 22.27
Hourly 90th percentile wage || 17.95 || 23.5
Annual 10th percentile wage(2) || 20350 || 19990
Annual 25th percentile wage(2) || 22210 || 31160
Annual median wage(2) || 25930 || 42060
Annual 75th percentile wage(2) || 32670 || 46320
Annual 90th percentile wage(2) || 37330 || 48880

Bear in mind the same profession according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics."Occupation: Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers (SOC code 393031)"

Look at the disparity in wages in datasets that are a tiny 300 miles apart.

My apologies for screwing up the earlier post.

Have a good weekend,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by DDHv   » Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Note that relative expenses matter. What is a livable wage in New York City would be a very high wage in rural North Dakota. OTOH, about 30 miles away, I can buy potatoes from the farmer/first processor by the hundred pound bag for about what the grocery store charges for five pounds. There is also plenty of room for gardens, and some vegetable stands also.

I'm divided as to whether a better climate would be good, since the population density would increase if our winters were better
;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Politics