Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Advantages and disadvantages of immigration?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Advantages and disadvantages of immigration?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:03 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

You are right. It doesn't matter whether the results are driven by cultural values, maximizing profits or simply a poor understanding of all the requirements for the job. What matters is that the job was performed well short of your satisfaction.

In the end does it matter what culture the people came from or the color of their skin? I think not and that is as it should be.

thinkstoomuch wrote:And on further review. White contractor who installed windows. Showed up on time and completed all the work on time. Not unexpected same guy who installed roof 10 years ago.

Driveway not so much promised 1 April. Finally poured on the 6th. All the stuff would be gone yesterday morning. Looks out front window stares at an unsightly trailer. Looks at the forms still in place. Nice concrete looks level have to wait for rain to really tell.

Is that the result of cultural attitude? Or just a guy out to get a buck. Really doesn't matter. I won't be recommending him to anybody in the future. I will be telling people to try another company.

Did I mention that they dug up the driveway 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Be nice to use that wonderful new driveway. I have a car cruise control to adapt/install on a motorcycle. And I remind myself of L'Amour in a year I won't really care about these 2 or 3 weeks.

Live and learn,
T2M
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:26 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

This was posted by someone I don't normally agree with on Baen's bar.

Kind of interesting view.

http://www.thediplomad.com/2016/03/musi ... ation.html

Kinda sorta supports PeterZ's view on immigration distorting pay.

Just like a few years ago when Alabama farmers couldn't get people to pick the crops. Without the illegals Americans wouldn't do it. I would have thought pretty obvious then they need to offer more pay. But then I have to pay more at the grocery store.

TANSTANFL literally.

Have fun,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:48 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:You are right. It doesn't matter whether the results are driven by cultural values, maximizing profits or simply a poor understanding of all the requirements for the job. What matters is that the job was performed well short of your satisfaction.

In the end does it matter what culture the people came from or the color of their skin? I think not and that is as it should be.

Probably should add to this one the guys that come to do the lawn for the months the house is empty.

For $100 a month they do an outstanding job. I am don't want to ask if they are legal or not, they may be working under the table. All I care about is that the lawn is properly maintained while gone.

He does have a contractor license. Though we didn't sign a contract. Just prepay cash for the summer. Get reports from neighbors and friends. Looks pretty, pretty when we get back. Including the year didn't get back until a month and half later than planned.

Granted it is a small lawn but 10 or 15 minutes 4 times a month would seem to be a difficult economics. 4 or 5 guys a bunch hardware. Fuel to get to the various locations. All the little stuff.

On the other hand generally give them two or three hundred extra on return and let them know we will call them in the spring. Tip of 40-50% if a person gives better service they need to be rewarded.

Only took 6 years to find them, dang it.

Have fun,
T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:25 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Kinda sorta related. More about the affects of illegal immigration on government agencies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ ... 318e6237ab

In an also by the way, IRS chief pointing out that Trump had his facts correct. Imagine that.

T2M
-----------------------
Post by Annachie   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:13 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Illegal immigrant and not authorized to work in the US have some overlap, but are hardly the same group.

So, mostly true.

Which is still bloody good for Trump.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Immigration Used To Be Expensive And Difficult ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:10 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

In about 1870 over 100 of my ancestors in Southern Germany all got together and managed to get about two families and 12 people to Minnesota or Wisconsin USA.

Family at both ends. Some wealthy. Not a pleasant trip. Each family split up the kids and parents. Took two separate steam ships. Fairly rich. First class cabins.

Still had to sit in New York harbor for weeks before being cleared. Had to prove solvency and connections. The USA did not have open boarders then.

I still have relatives in Germany. Have lost touch with them. The stories they could tell. Not like today at all. Then it was very difficult to immigrate to America.
Re: Immigration Used To Be Expensive And Difficult ...
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:25 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

On a related tangent, did you know that children born on Elis Island to parents undergoing the immigration process were not automatically granted US citizenship? Some were never granted citizenship as the parents were rejected as immigrants for some reason or another. Usually, the reason was illnesses such as TB. The Children were fine but the parents were not granted residence and so the children were sent along with the parents.

Sort of puts the current illegal immigration/anchor baby question in perspective, eh?

HB of CJ wrote:In about 1870 over 100 of my ancestors in Southern Germany all got together and managed to get about two families and 12 people to Minnesota or Wisconsin USA.

Family at both ends. Some wealthy. Not a pleasant trip. Each family split up the kids and parents. Took two separate steam ships. Fairly rich. First class cabins.

Still had to sit in New York harbor for weeks before being cleared. Had to prove solvency and connections. The USA did not have open boarders then.

I still have relatives in Germany. Have lost touch with them. The stories they could tell. Not like today at all. Then it was very difficult to immigrate to America.

Return to Politics