Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

Brexit Referendum

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Brexit Referendum
Post by munroburton   » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:10 pm

munroburton
Admiral

On 23 June, voters in the United Kingdom will be asked "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" and to then vote Remain or Leave.

A recent poll of polls average:
Remain 47.5% (+0.3)
Leave 39.9% (-0.1)

One criticism is the proximity to elections for Wales, Scotland and North Ireland's various devolved bodies, particularly when all of those elections were postponed from last year due to overlap with the UK general election.

Another is the relatively short time - barely four months.

I'm probably going to vote for Remain. Although I'm unhappy with certain aspects of the EU, it's still the best deal in the neighbourhood.
Re: Brexit Referendum
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:33 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

From afar and speaking to UK friends it appears that Cameron was trying to address the welfare fairness concerns of citizens. Stories of UK born families with two kids being bumped down the council house queue by central european families with five kids, particularly upset them.

If he has sorted problems like that then the people will support remaining in the EU.
Post by smr   » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:06 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Not my country and not my business!
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote:Not my country and not my business!

The world is much smaller and interconnected more now.
As an example, citizens everywhere are worried about the potential trainwreck if Trump gets in.

In my case I travel frequently to Europe and the UK, and it could restrict me significantly.

The insularity of the US is often amusing. A current item is a video of a quizz show contestant winning a trip to Venice. Now he won so seemed the smartest & best informed there, so it was hilarious when asked if he knew what country Venice was in and his reply was Paris. He then qualified it with either Paris or France.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm

munroburton
Admiral

First referendum-related cabinet resignation in the form of eurosceptic Iain Duncan Smith jumping off the ponderously tilted ship HMS DWP, at a moment calculated to inflict political damage upon the Chancellor, who is regarded as the most likely europhile-leaning successor to the current Prime Minister.

This has slightly increased Boris Johnson's odds of becoming the next Prime Minister. Boris, by the way, was born in New York City, USA. So we may end up with an American-born Prime Minister!
Post by Starsaber   » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

To paraphrase a book I remember reading a few years back, two countries used to be like farmhouses, if someone down the street's house was on fire, you could go help or not and it didn't directly impact you. Now with the connected economy and global communications, the world is like an apartment complex and if your neighbor is smoking in bed, that's a problem for everyone.
Post by dscott8   » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 pm

dscott8
Commodore

munroburton wrote:This has slightly increased Boris Johnson's odds of becoming the next Prime Minister. Boris, by the way, was born in New York City, USA. So we may end up with an American-born Prime Minister!

At least British politicians are amusing. I've seen Boris on "Have I Got News For You", and I know of no major American politico who would take that much stick from standup comics and be able to laugh at himself.

PS: The Ann Widdcombe/Jimmy Carr episode is priceless.

PPS: So is Prime Minister David Cameron with his unit in a dead pig's mouth.
Post by biochem   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:

The world is much smaller and interconnected more now.
As an example, citizens everywhere are worried about the potential trainwreck if Trump gets in.

In my case I travel frequently to Europe and the UK, and it could restrict me significantly.

The insularity of the US is often amusing. A current item is a video of a quizz show contestant winning a trip to Venice. Now he won so seemed the smartest & best informed there, so it was hilarious when asked if he knew what country Venice was in and his reply was Paris. He then qualified it with either Paris or France.

It could impact you more directly than that. Some of the Brexit proponents are proposing an alternative to the EU of a similar treaty but instead of being between Britain, France, Germany etc; it would be between Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. Want to joint EU#2?
Post by Daryl   » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

dscott8 wrote:
munroburton wrote:This has slightly increased Boris Johnson's odds of becoming the next Prime Minister. Boris, by the way, was born in New York City, USA. So we may end up with an American-born Prime Minister!

At least British politicians are amusing. I've seen Boris on "Have I Got News For You", and I know of no major American politico who would take that much stick from standup comics and be able to laugh at himself.

PS: The Ann Widdcombe/Jimmy Carr episode is priceless.

PPS: So is Prime Minister David Cameron with his unit in a dead pig's mouth.

Boris and Trump are both nominally conservative politicians, have unusual hair, and are male. Virtually everything else is diametrically opposite. Even if you don't agree with Boris you have to like him.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:51 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

biochem wrote:It could impact you more directly than that. Some of the Brexit proponents are proposing an alternative to the EU of a similar treaty but instead of being between Britain, France, Germany etc; it would be between Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. Want to joint EU#2?

Well, it worked back during WWII...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Politics