Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

R.I.P. Justice Scalea

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: R.I.P. Justice Scalea
Post by Donnachaidh   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

You're ignoring that conservatives have done the exact same thing.

http://www.thepeoplesview.net/main/2016/2/14/why-obama-wants-scotus-fight That is a very interesting article, they make a lot of good points (there is a fair amount of liberal opinion spouting in it too but the main points are still valid).

pokermind wrote:That's the main problem with liberals they don't understand what's good for the goose is good for the gander. "WE can break the rules but you can't." Quit acting like two year olds and grow up, its a political process and politics will intrude. This if you are not cheating you're not playing the game attitude disgusts me. If the Senate does not like a nominee vote them down, says I.

Poker
Post by Annachie   » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

One point. I bet that the GOP already know who the President will nominate, and indeed have a very short list of who he would nominate should a second justice die in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Annachie wrote:One point. I bet that the GOP already know who the President will nominate, and indeed have a very short list of who he would nominate should a second justice die in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The odds are pretty high it will be someone relatively recently appointed with unanimous or near unanimous Senate approval to a circuit court (there are some options)... forcing the entire GOP to then explain to the public how they have suddenly become totally and completely unacceptable for high level judicial duties when they were just fine before.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Was Scalea arguing that every law should be decided by
Plebicite?
All the voters voting on each law, and court decision?
No more Republic, but Pure Democracy?
That is one meaning of "freedom to govern themselves."

Of course, another meaning is to set up institutions
(legislatures, courts) that represent the People,
and govern in their (our!) name.
That is what is done in Republics.
----------------------------------------------------------
Please note that FDR's Plan to pack the Supreme Court
was defeated by Congress.
Then note that FDR was in office long enough to appoint no
less than ten (10) Justices, even though he did not have the
chance to appoint *any* in his first term.

HTM, PHL

pokermind wrote:Then there is what Scalea wrote of the contrversial Ga Marriage decision:

I write sepa­rately to call attention to this Court’s threat to American democracy.

“The substance of today’s decree is not of immense per­sonal importance to me. The law can recognize as mar­riage whatever sexual attachments and living arrange­ments it wishes, and can accord them favorable civil consequences, from tax treatment to rights of inheritance.

Those civil consequences—and the public approval that conferring the name of marriage evidences—can perhaps have adverse social effects, but no more adverse than the effects of many other controversial laws. So it is not of special importance to me what the law says about mar­riage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today’s decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court. The opinion in these cases is the furthest extension in fact—and the furthest extension one can even imagine—of the Court’s claimed power to create “liberties” that the Consti­tution and its Amendments neglect to mention. This practice of constitutional revision by an unelected commit­tee of nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extrav­agant praise of liberty, robs the People of the most im­portant liberty they asserted in the Declaration of Independence and won in the Revolution of 1776: the freedom to govern themselves.”

http://qpolitical.com/days-died-scalia-warning-americans/

The politicization of the court began with FDR in the 1930s when some of the New Deal programs were declared unconstitutional, he packed the court. The Predident can submit candidates to the Senate for confirmation, the Senate can confirm or not. This has become a highly politicized process as each side has third rail issues. Given a Liberal President and a conservative Senate I'm sure it will be politicized this time.

Poker
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Post by pokermind   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:00 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

@ Howard T. Map-addict

Roe V Wade was based on privacy between Doctor an patient allowing unlimited abortion.

The Homeland Security act, [un]Affordable Health Care act, and various state laws require doctors to report privilaged conversations with their patients denighing patient-Doctor privilege, and denigrating second, fourth and fifth amendment rights. :shock: Why aren't you liberals up in arms about them?

Just curious, Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by The E   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:43 am

The E
Admiral

pokermind wrote:The Homeland Security act, [un]Affordable Health Care act, and various state laws require doctors to report privilaged conversations with their patients denighing patient-Doctor privilege, and denigrating second, fourth and fifth amendment rights. :shock: Why aren't you liberals up in arms about them?

You know, I tried to find the section of the ACA that actually stated this but was unable to; Would you mind providing citations for this?

As for the various security theater acts that you people have enacted: There was a lot of outcry against them, some even from your side of the party line. Or were all those protests just my imagination?
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:53 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

pokermind wrote:@ Howard T. Map-addict

Roe V Wade was based on privacy between Doctor an patient allowing unlimited abortion.

The Homeland Security act, [un]Affordable Health Care act, and various state laws require doctors to report privilaged conversations with their patients denighing patient-Doctor privilege, and denigrating second, fourth and fifth amendment rights. :shock: Why aren't you liberals up in arms about them?

Just curious, Poker

If you can find where the ACA requires what you say it does I'll be rather impressed, since that's just one of the many conservatives myths about it... like death panels.

And you would have had to be both deaf and blind not to see the years long liberal uproar about the various intrusions of the Homeland Security and Patriot acts.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Pokermind,
The Homeland Security Act,
which was passed in a state of panic by Republican House,
Democratic Senate, and signed by a Republican President,
has been receiving more and more opposition from Liberals,
Libertarians, and Conservatives alike.

As for those others, I don't know what in particular you mean.

HTM

pokermind wrote:@ Howard T. Map-addict

The Homeland Security act, Affordable Health Care act, and various state laws require doctors to report privilaged conversations with their patients denighing patient-Doctor privilege, and denigrating second, fourth and fifth amendment rights. :shock: Why aren't you liberals up in arms about them?

Just curious, Poker

Return to Politics