Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Syrian Refugee Crisis--Symptom-Solution

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Syrian Refugee Crisis--Symptom-Solution
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Starting a new topic. If you have a better topic title let me know and I will change it

Daryl wrote:
biochem wrote:On the Syrian refugees. Why exactly are we accepting able bodied men of military age as refugees? Women & children, the elderly I get but Syria is THEIR country and THEY need to be the ones fighting for it. (Incidentally this opinion of mine preceded Paris).

I've read this opinion before elsewhere and wonder at the logic. Firstly a bit sexist and ageist, why only males of a certain age?
Secondly, how are they going to fight for their country? Which of the many religious sects will they join? What if they are atheist, christian, or buddist?
If they don't fit into a mould they wouldn't last a day, and even if they did it would just make the multi sided conflict worse. A couple of young Australians (male & female) went stupidly over there a year ago, joined an islamic armed group and were dead in a week when their group were exterminated by a bigger faction over some ideology.
Last edited by thinkstoomuch on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Re: Syrian Refugee Crisis--Syptom-Solution
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:32 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

biochem wrote:On the Syrian refugees. Why exactly are we accepting able bodied men of military age as refugees? Women & children, the elderly I get but Syria is THEIR country and THEY need to be the ones fighting for it. (Incidentally this opinion of mine preceded Paris).

I can agree with this to a certain extent.

Who is paying to get them here? My Great grand parents paid for that passage to get here. So did the great majority of other immigrants. Why should these be different?

If they weren't willing to fight for their country there what makes people think they are going to fight here. Will they police their own. That is another questionable, arguably, proven not. Not sure how much this should weigh on either side.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:44 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Daryl wrote:I've read this opinion before elsewhere and wonder at the logic. Firstly a bit sexist and ageist, why only males of a certain age?
Secondly, how are they going to fight for their country? Which of the many religious sects will they join? What if they are atheist, christian, or buddist?
If they don't fit into a mould they wouldn't last a day, and even if they did it would just make the multi sided conflict worse. A couple of young Australians (male & female) went stupidly over there a year ago, joined an islamic armed group and were dead in a week when their group were exterminated by a bigger faction over some ideology.

Why is their religion even a concern?

Did anybody check a person coming to help a person coming to America if they were a christian. An aethist, A deist or any other ist.

From my reading of our history (biased of course) most of them could care less. Pretty sure George Washington could care less. But I may be wrong.

Patrick Henry's Speech comes to mind. "...If not now when..."

The refugees have demonstrated that they were not willing in the past to fight for their country in the past. Which questions whether they will police there own when they get here. When IS was a small minority of people with guns. How Many people died at Bunker Hill. hell How many died in New York when the British controlled it.

That other quote "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country." I could give a ... for what religion, if any, he was. He believed in his country--that didn't even exist yet--enough to die for it. He never got to vote.

Not sure there is any answer to any of this.

T2M
-----------------------
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Another Question for this whole thing.

Why is the "West" having to accept refugees when places like Egypt, the UAE, Saudi Arabia ... are not.

T2M
-----------------------
Post by The E   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:32 am

The E
Admiral

thinkstoomuch wrote:Another Question for this whole thing.

Why is the "West" having to accept refugees when places like Egypt, the UAE, Saudi Arabia ... are not.

T2M

Might want to reread the data about the syrian refugees there, mate.

There are an estimated 4.2 million syrian refugees. Fully half of them is in Turkey. Another million in Lebanon. Another half million in Jordan. 250000 in Iraq. 130000 in Egypt. The refugees that reach the western world are the exception, a small minority really, and you guys in the US are getting up in arms over the 10 or 20000 that may end up in the continental US?

If those few people are a danger to your society, your society may need some help.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:38 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

The E wrote:Might want to reread the data about the syrian refugees there, mate.

There are an estimated 4.2 million syrian refugees. Fully half of them is in Turkey. Another million in Lebanon. Another half million in Jordan. 250000 in Iraq. 130000 in Egypt. The refugees that reach the western world are the exception, a small minority really, and you guys in the US are getting up in arms over the 10 or 20000 that may end up in the continental US?

If those few people are a danger to your society, your society may need some help.

Correction of data I was going on for Egypt is appreciated. As well as the other numbers. Some of which I was aware of. They all border the problem or are in fact in the problem from some of the stuff I have read.

Where in the post do you see that I see a danger to my society?

T2M
-----------------------
Post by The E   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:51 am

The E
Admiral

I'm sorry, I've been seeing this rhetorical progression far too often on the internet these days. "Why are there so many refugees?" "Why are they coming to the EU/the US/the West, why aren't they staying in more culturally compatible countries?" Followed by "We don't want them here, they'll just bring problems."

The problem is, and this is something I expect anyone knowledgable about history to recognize, is that that same rhetoric was used about 80 years ago with regards to Jewish refugees fleeing from Germany.

So basically, if you're asking whether a country should accept refugees despite those refugees "not fighting for their country!!!!!", I have to ask whether refusing jewish refugees was, in hindsight, the correct decision.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:22 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Appreciate the apology and the reasons for it.

One of the reasons I love this forum for politics. People here are generally willing to admit when they are wrong. I get a wider view of the world as well.

Heck I looked it up (after your post-not going into my stupid ignorance) and found that Saudi Arabia also is accepting refugees. But a lot of refugees don't want to go there. Which I really can understand.

The E wrote:I'm sorry, I've been seeing this rhetorical progression far too often on the internet these days. "Why are there so many refugees?" "Why are they coming to the EU/the US/the West, why aren't they staying in more culturally compatible countries?" Followed by "We don't want them here, they'll just bring problems."

The problem is, and this is something I expect anyone knowledgable about history to recognize, is that that same rhetoric was used about 80 years ago with regards to Jewish refugees fleeing from Germany.

So basically, if you're asking whether a country should accept refugees despite those refugees "not fighting for their country!!!!!", I have to ask whether refusing jewish refugees was, in hindsight, the correct decision.

Well the whole Jewish thing is something I have been comparing our !(@#(!$*(^& politicians of all types trying to appeal to voters, in my mind.

None of which reference the law according to the US constitutional standards. Waiting on permission from a recovering lawyer to post what he believes law says the government should do. Without his wording I would mangle it beyond comprehension. Almost like he went to school for a few years longer to get words right. :lol:

I do wish some would consider the "Mariel boatlift" and its long term affects. I live 60 miles from Miami. Not a whole lot different than similar demographic areas elsewhere in the US.

That was ~125,000 that a country wanted to get rid of.

For a Wiki reference. Which is well wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariel_boatlift

As far as the fighting for the country or even beliefs. It tends to be a central tenet to my beliefs and is a prismatic affect on my views. Is it a requirement no or I would have to kick out 90+% of our current citizens.

I do appreciate the feed back,
T2M
-----------------------
Re: Syrian Refugee Crisis--Symptom-Solution
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:30 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Here is that recovering lawyer's post that I wanted to share. It is from the Truth versus Pravada portion of Baen's Bar. More or less a place to scream about religion on no religion.

His comment to me was it wouldn't win me any friends.

Matt P wrote: wrote in message news:n2p865$npa$1@bar-test.baen.com...

I'm not sure that both sides haven't lost their minds.

I basically agree with what Pete said: the idea of denying admission to, say, 10,000 people because some terrorists might slip through the cracks is, at bottom, just stupid. It is hysteria overwhelming what little capacity for rational thought, let alone conditional probability calculations, the average sheep has.

On the other hand, I can't think of a single good reason to admit any of these people. I think it is bad policy to say, "oh, hey, let's take 10k people just because they are refugees."

What we should be doing is following the normal legal procedure, and accepting political asylum requests from people who can prove to an immigration judge's satisfaction that their life or freedom would be in jeopardy if they were returned to Syria.

I have twice testified as an expert witness in such proceedings. They are a fair and humane method of individually selecting people who face a legitimate chance of being killed or imprisoned for their political beliefs in their homeland.

I think this short-circuited process we seem to be employing is equally crazy as saying "OMG! Terrorists!"

I also agree with Drak in a back-handed way. We KNOW that Christians from Syria are subject to persecution if they return to Syria. They are the group (along with other religious minorities such as Jews and yazidi) at the greatest risk, and it is absolutely insane that we are not moving them en masse to the front of the line for admission. Not because they are Christians like us, but because they are at the most risk. The only muslims that should be with them at the front of the line are those who can prove they have fought IS.

But, of course, none of this will happen, because politics has completely taken over a process that normally functions in an apolitical and judicial fashion. The left has an agenda I don't fully understand, but seems to be "muslims are good cuz they hate Christians as much as we do," and the right has a very clear agenda that all muslims are terrorists.

So, yeah, there's no shortage of insanity here.

-- Official KratSKeller Jerk-in-Residence

For what it is worth,
T2M
-----------------------
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

thinkstoomuch wrote:Another Question for this whole thing.

T2M

Put bluntly, Syrians aren't the right sort of Muslim for the Gulf States to want. At least from the reports I've seen.

As for not wanting to defend their own country against the likes of ISIS.... that's a more complicated question than many realise. Sectarianism plays a part, but the very rigid, almost cast like, make up of most Muslim societies also plays a part.

These articles may shed some light:

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

http://www.meforum.org/5478/are-muslims-fatalists

Mike.
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------

Return to Politics